Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any opinions how much longer AT to WN RR credits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil

I'm considering transferring 72,000 Amex Points to 64 AirTran Credits (1125/credit) to 64 Southwest Rapid Rewards credits. I can usually redeem an old RT Southwest award for about $340 in airfare meaning a conversion rate of about 1.9 cents per Amex point. The only risks are that it will take me about four months to use those four RT tickets, and that the program may change between now and then.

I'm wondering if there's a concern that the old program will go away in the next four months and leave me with nothing. It seems unlikely but I couldn't find any guidance anywhere.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:39 am

Haven't seen or heard anything about the AirTran plan being ended just yet. I would imagine by the end of the year it'll officially be dead, and with it -eventually- the old credits - finally.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:30 pm

A recent poster here said that they had recently renewed their Elite Status and had been informed that the programs would be merged at the end of 2014. How that will work is not clear.

I can't imagine that Southwest will wipe out the existing credits. Somehow they can get moved to RR and I suspect any remaining credits topped off for a Standard Award, similar to how Rapid Rewards were transitioned before.

I'm curious, how are you able to transfer Amex points to Airtran, I thought that program ended a couple of years ago. Did it come back?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm curious, how are you able to transfer Amex points to Airtran, I thought that program ended a couple of years ago. Did it come back?
Oooh, maybe it has. I was using an online calculator from another website. I guess it's possible it's not updated.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:50 pm

I can't imagine that Southwest will wipe out the existing credits.
I think that's a safe assumption.

Note AirTran 2015 award "blackout dates" are prominently listed on Southwest's website.

Genius.

http://www.southwest.com/rewardsconversionrules/
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I think that's a safe assumption.

Note AirTran 2015 award "blackout dates" are prominently listed on Southwest's website.

Genius.

http://www.southwest.com/rewardsconversionrules/
I always thought those dates applied to remaining Southwest Awards and remaining Airtran Rewards flights.

On the other hand Airtran is supposed to stop operating no later than 12/31/2014.

I'm still betting that GK will find a way to wring out the last few dollars from Airtran.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:09 am

I always thought those dates applied to remaining Southwest Awards and remaining Airtran Rewards flights.

On the other hand Airtran is supposed to stop operating no later than 12/31/2014.

I'm still betting that GK will find a way to wring out the last few dollars from Airtran.
Even stranger, he ran a :30 spot in ATL market during Sunday's Oscars celebrating WN joining the AirTran family. All shot locally.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:26 pm

My understanding was that the ability to transfer Amex points to airtran ended in 2012. Am I missing something? Can this still be done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.