Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: texashoser
Beginning July 1, 2014, Southwest Airlines will operate daily, nonstop flights between:
  • Atlanta and Aruba, and Montego Bay
  • Baltimore/Washington and Aruba, Nassau, and (twice daily) Montego Bay
  • Orlando and (Saturday only) Aruba, and Montego Bay

For international bookings, only ATL, BOS, BWI, MCO, or PIT can serve as the origination/destination airport. Separate bookings are necessary if positioning flights are required.

UPDATE: Starting August 5, 2014, more cities via staggered schedule will be added as allowed origination/destination airports. The schedule is as follows:

Aug. 5 BDL, DCA, DTW, HOU, LGA, RDU, SDF
Aug. 10 SNA, MKE
Aug. 19 BNA, ORF, PHL, SFO, SJC, SMF, STL
Aug. 26 ALB, BUF, DAY, IND, MCI, MSP, OAK, ROC
Sept. 16 CMH, GRR, ISP, LAX, MHT, PVD, PWM
Sept. 30 DSM, LAS, OKC, PDX, SEA
Oct. 5 ABQ, CAK, CLE, DAL, OMA, SLC
Oct. 28 BOI, FNT, GEG, RNO
Nov. 2 AUS, MDW, SAT
Nov. 11 AMA, CLT, GSP, MSY, ONT
Nov. 18 BHM, CHS, FLL, JAX, LIT, PBI, PHX, RSW, SAN, SJU, TPA, TUS
Dec. 16 CRP, ECP, HRL, ICT, MAF, MEM, PNS, RIC
Print Wikipost

International Bookings Live on Southwest.com

Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by alggag
Either A: It's not 100% live or B: No connections allowed. I cannot find HOU-MBJ even though I can come up with valid connections for HOU-ATL-MBJ.
It looks to be a city specific issue, where origination must take place in cities that also have nonstop service to the international destination. For example, BWI-ORD/ATL-MBJ is a legal connection because BWI-MBJ on WN exists.

The specific itinerary that you’re attempting to book [HOU-ATL-MBJ] cannot be completed in a single transaction online. Please try again by booking the domestic and international portions of your trip separately, or contact us for further assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
It also doesn't help that these flights are mostly in the morning so the majority of incoming flights can't make a connection anyway. Red-eye flights can't come soon enough.

Last edited by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn; Jan 27, 2014 at 11:41 am Reason: Someone found that they could book from BOS (which has no direct flights) to an international destination on WN.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:52 am

I tried Orlando MCO to Aruba AUA: Aug. 1 through Aug. 6 and get the following error message: Published scheduled service between (Aruba - AUA) and (Orlando - MCO) will be discontinued on 08/02/2014. Please select an alternate date or choose another origination/destination.

Yet going through the Low Fare Calendar for August, flights can be booked up to Aug. 8.

Should I assume the Aug. 2 deadline for MCO is correct?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
http://www.blogsouthwest.com/grab-yo...international/
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Exclamation Companion Pass Only for Companions 18 and Under!

It is VERY interesting that they are only allowing Companion Pass use for children under the age of 18. We have two companion passes among the four of us and this negates one of them. I guess Southwest ran models to see what would happen with high companion pass usage and this was the compromise.

It's a good compromise because it allows some use of the companion pass, but it is going to be a real bummer for people that want to escape on a romantic trip using their companion pass.

http://www.southwest.com/html/air/in...ram/index.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:43 am

Seems like it is only stating that a companion under 18 can't be booked online. Don't see anything there that says the companion can only be under 18.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer
It is VERY interesting that they are only allowing Companion Pass use for children under the age of 18. We have two companion passes among the four of us and this negates one of them. I guess Southwest ran models to see what would happen with high companion pass usage and this was the compromise.

It's a good compromise because it allows some use of the companion pass, but it is going to be a real bummer for people that want to escape on a romantic trip using their companion pass.

http://www.southwest.com/html/air/in...ram/index.html
You are reading that wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by dailow
Seems like it is only stating that a companion under 18 can't be booked online. Don't see anything there that says the companion can only be under 18.
+1

I would recommend he edit his post to avoid confusion.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:15 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

The official press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...242221331.html
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:29 am

All about international travel on WN...

http://www.southwest.com/html/air/intl/?int=GNAVINTTRVL
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Maybe it's just me but this announcement kind of underwhelms. In my mind, this is simply more transitioning of FL routes/stations over to WN which was expected as the FL brand goes away this year. I guess this technically marks the first true int'l destination for WN itself. It will be interesting to see what they do on the int'l front going forward from here.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
"Designated companions under the age of 18 can accompany Companion Pass holders on international flights; however these passengers cannot be booked online. Please contact us at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) to book a companion under the age of 18 for international travel."

Poorly written stuff from WN again. Certainly ambiguous.

Should have been "If the designated Companion is under 18, the CP holder must call to make the reservation."
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:36 am

Makes WN much more interesting, although the nearest airport they service is 2 hours away.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Is there a list of the Southwest international routes anywhere?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Poorly written stuff from WN again. Certainly ambiguous.

Should have been "If the designated Companion is under 18, the CP holder must call to make the reservation."
I'm glad someone beside me notices this. It is so pervasive I wonder if it isn't done on purpose.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
My speculation: Ability to use the Companion Pass on international flights may lead to the demise or devaluation of the Companion Pass after 2015. If you were planning to earn a Companion Pass in early 2015, you might want to accelerate that plan and do it now instead.
or continue to stockpile points regardless of the "devaluation" issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.