Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Companion Pass question

Hi. I did a search for this and wasn't able to find an answer. My question is: I'm about to qualify for the Companion Pass. I do have 2 trips booked next year though already. When I get my pass, will I have to cancel one of the tickets on each flight and then rebook with the CP or can I convert them somehow?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Davedmaine
Hi. I did a search for this and wasn't able to find an answer. My question is: I'm about to qualify for the Companion Pass. I do have 2 trips booked next year though already. When I get my pass, will I have to cancel one of the tickets on each flight and then rebook with the CP or can I convert them somehow?
Either:

1. Book new CP tickets and only then cancel the old ones.
2. Call WN Customer Service and have them do it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
OP - are you asking about adding your companion to existing reservations? Or, as toomanybooks addressed, converting an existing 2nd PNR into a companion itinerary for an already existing soon-to-be companion pass holder's 1st PNR?

If the former, then, you don't need to do anything - once you earn the CP, you can "add a companion" to any existing reservation of the CP holder.

If the latter, then, see toomanybooks response. And, to clarify, you would only need to cancel the designated companion's old reservation (because you can "add a companion" to the CP Holder's old reservation).

The portion underlined above makes me suspect your case may be the former, while the bolded portion makes me suspect your case may be the latter.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Either:

1. Book new CP tickets and only then cancel the old ones.
2. Call WN Customer Service and have them do it.
To further clarify, I'd do step 1 then proceed to step 2 only if it fails saying "your flight is sold out".

toomanyboooks used the correct order in step 1. Do not cancel their paid/points/award ticket until after you get a new (2nd) confirmation # as a companion. In the event of an overbooking it is common to NOT have the ticket return to immediate inventory.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
If you booked the trips for just yourself (ie no fellow traveler) then once you get your CP and set your companion, you'll automatically get an option to add a companion to your existing reservation.

If you booked the trips for you AND a fellow traveler, then you'll need to follow the steps mentioned by toomanybooks and expert7700.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:44 pm

And an fyi, I qualified in November for a Companion Pass. About 2 or 3 days max (I don't remember exactly) after my qualifying flight showed up in the 100% bar on the summary page, I was able to fill out my companion info online and then book companion tickets with existing reservations I had made as far back as July. It was really easy and painless. Never once made a phone call to do any of it.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
If you change a paid reservation to a companion pass reservation, once you get the companion pass, will southwest refund the money you already paid?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by holocker
If you change a paid reservation to a companion pass reservation, once you get the companion pass, will southwest refund the money you already paid?
if you bought an Anytime or Business Select Fare ticket, yes*

disclaimer:
*and you did not pay or mix in any ticketless travel funds, Southwest Gift Cards, or luv vouchers
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holocker
Adding to expert7700, if it was a WGA fare paid with cash, it is returned as TTF's, and is only usable by the person named on the original ticket.

If the OP wishes to change a purchased WGA fare to CP and not end up with unusable TTF's, then only CS can do it and you will need a sympathetic agent when you call.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
NEW Companion Pass question here:

I have a CP. My Companion is person A. I have booked a trip for me and A in March 14. Tickets purchased, paid for and received.

I have another trip scheduled for Feb 14, and I would like to take person B.

If I call SW and change companion to B, will it invalidate the tickets for A?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kcblakely
NEW Companion Pass question here:

I have a CP. My Companion is person A. I have booked a trip for me and A in March 14. Tickets purchased, paid for and received.

I have another trip scheduled for Feb 14, and I would like to take person B.

If I call SW and change companion to B, will it invalidate the tickets for A?
Yes.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:06 pm

I have a somewhat related question to OP's.

I booked a flight for myself ("A") and my wife ("B") last year. It was a WGA fare, so when I cancelled it, we got TTFs. Our TTFs expire in October.

I am a month or two away from CP status. Obviously, once that happens, I can use the TTF in my name to book a ticket and designate her as my companion.

I don't think she's going to have occasion to travel alone before October. My question is: is it in any way possible to use her TTF for a reservation with her as my companion? Perhaps via a 'normal' reservation using her TTF and then trying to convert her to a Companion and getting a 'refund'?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by 850csi

I booked a flight for myself ("A") and my wife ("B") last year. It was a WGA fare, so when I cancelled it, we got TTFs. Our TTFs expire in October.

I am a month or two away from CP status. Obviously, once that happens, I can use the TTF in my name to book a ticket and designate her as my companion.

I don't think she's going to have occasion to travel alone before October. My question is: is it in any way possible to use her TTF for a reservation with her as my companion? Perhaps via a 'normal' reservation using her TTF and then trying to convert her to a Companion and getting a 'refund'?
No.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If buying a ticket for someone who may later become your Companion, use points for that person's reservation.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by 850csi

if the TTF is in her name, there's nothing you can do about it. use it or loose it. you can have it extend for another year with $75 fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.