Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there way to get "never expiring" RR points back and reactivate expired account

Is there way to get "never expiring" RR points back and reactivate expired account

Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

This week I logged into my SW account and realized I just lost 75K points due to inactivity. I always thought from commercials and their gloating that SW points never expire.Turns out redemptions aren't part of "activity" and according to CSR there is no way to get my points back and/or re-activate account. Account became "inactive" 2 weeks ago. Anyone here with similar experience?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
This week I logged into my SW account and realized I just lost 75K points due to inactivity. I always thought from commercials and their gloating that SW points never expire.Turns out redemptions aren't part of "activity" and according to CSR there is no way to get my points back and/or re-activate account. Account became "inactive" 2 weeks ago. Anyone here with similar experience?
Try the old "Hang Up And Call Back" method a couple of times. If your karma is good, you sound contrite and polite, and you get a sympathetic CSR, you may be in luck.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Well, it is good to learn something every day. "Activity" includes earning but not spending.

Upon enrollment, Members' accounts are active for 24 months. Members' accounts will remain active as long as the Member earns points at least once every 24 months. The Member's account expiration date will be extended 24 months from the date of the last earned Point. Points earned from flights booked through Southwest and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners will extend the account activity date. If a Member fails to earn a point in 24 months, the Member's account will become inactive and all points and Promotional Awards will be forfeited.
From here.

And, the account expires, not the points. So "Points Don't Expire" is technically true. They are forfeited from account expiration.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Well, it is good to learn something every day. "Activity" includes earning but not spending.

From here.

And, the account expires, not the points. So "Points Don't Expire" is technically true. They are forfeited from account expiration.

yes, SOOOOOOO DIFFERENT from any other program, we keep on hearing it on every god damned Southwest commercial during NFL games. They should start using the line "we have lavatories on every flight" as well.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Try the old "Hang Up And Call Back" method a couple of times. If your karma is good, you sound contrite and polite, and you get a sympathetic CSR, you may be in luck.
Will give it a try again for sure. Customer relations office was closed yesterday due to severe weather conditions.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Try a snail letter. That often gets a higher grade of response than a phone call.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:26 am

Any Luck?

Same thing happened to me with the exact same ammount of points. I like the airline but I'm so pissed I never want to fly with them again. I never knew anything of this nonsense. They tricked me with the points never expire advertisements. I hope you can give me advice.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Tanium
Same thing happened to me with the exact same ammount of points. I like the airline but I'm so pissed I never want to fly with them again. I never knew anything of this nonsense. They tricked me with the points never expire advertisements. I hope you can give me advice.
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/about

**Points don’t expire as long as you have flight or Partner earning activity every 24 months. Benefits apply to points transactions. All Rapid Rewards Rules and Regulations apply.

You're certainly welcome to call them/email them/write them. Recommend you not be "pissed" when you do that, as Southwest didn't error in this case...you did. Unlikely they'll budge as the rules are the rules and have been the rules for quite some time.

Please report back & let us know the ultimate outcome.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:57 pm

Once the account is closed and the points forfeited there is no way of getting them back.

Southwest would do well to discontinue advertising that points "Don't expire."
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
Once the account is closed and the points forfeited there is no way of getting them back.

Southwest would do well to discontinue advertising that points "Don't expire."
Agreed. Some lawyers are going to win a class action settlement on this.

Closing the account is functionally equivalent to expiring the points. There is no practical difference.

Southwest's policy is the same as that of every other company which expires points or miles. The only real difference is with programs where each point carries its own expiration date and cannot be extended.

Misleading advertising is un-Southwest. It needs to stop, or the policy needs to change to match the advertising.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some programs count redemption as activity to extend, I think.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
IANAL, but I agree: There are a whole lot of areas where airlines have wiggle room, but this appears to be pretty blatant misleading advertising. I'm not even sure they could hide this under the Airline Deregulation Act.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:29 am

File a complaint with the FTC.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
File a complaint with the FTC.
No, the FTC would defer to the DOT.

What kinds of ads does the FTC regulate?

The FTC has jurisdiction over ads for most products and services (and, in many cases, shares jurisdiction with other federal agencies, such as the FDA, the TTB, and the USPIS). However, in certain circumstances (e.g., ads by airlines, banks, insurance companies, common carriers, companies that sell securities and commodities, and prescription drug companies), the FTC typically defers to other government agencies that have been given specific authority to investigate those kinds of ads.
Airlines are governed by the US Department of Transportation. The complaint should be filed with the DOT Aviation Consumer Protection division.

Aviation Consumer Protection

Last edited by ursine1; Dec 1, 2016 at 11:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:25 am

Everyplace I see "Points that don't expire", I see the asterisks informing you of more information. Nothing illegal there, although not really transparent either.

But if you like the airline, or fly frequently with the airline, by not flying with them for 2 years straight muddles how much one actually liked the airline. Sure, life happens and maybe there are reasons why one couldn't fly, but in that case I'd be checking out to see what happens with points after 12 months. With most point-accruing reward systems, 24 months is quite generous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.