Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Voucher Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Southwest Voucher Question

Hi there. New here. Thought this would be the best place to ask my question. Just got back from a trip to Florida this past Friday. We took a voluntary bump off the flight and were given $222 for that leg of ticket and $300 per person. So, we got $522 each (there were 4 of us). So, I have almost $2100 in airfare that has to be used within a year.

My understanding is that these vouchers can be used by anyone.. is that correct. Can these be sold at all (I know probably not on e-bay but maybe craigslist or friends/family looking for airfare). We are planning on a cruise next year but were not planning to go until end of July/Early August so won't be able to use these for that. Just wondering my options....

I also read about extensions that are like $100 per ticket but not sure if that is something available on these types of vouchers?? Thanks for any info. Lynn
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
All reports are that these can be used by anyone. You should be able to sell on Craigslist or eBay. Of course, who knows what might happen in practice?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:58 pm

I volunteer all of the time and I'm assuming that they did not staple the conditions of the voucher to the back of each one that you received. I haven't received it most of the time.

The rules state that you cannot sell it.

I wouldn't risk selling it on craigslist..but I would not have a problem "giving" a family member/friend one if it is possible to pass them on to others. I keep them all for me, so I'm unsure if you are able to give them away.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:50 am

The Voucher Terms and Conditions state,

"4. Southwest LUV Vouchers and travel issued in exchange for Southwest LUV Vouchers have no cash value and cannot be exchanged for cash or other monetary consideration. Southwest LUV Vouchers will not be replaced if lost, stolen, or destroyed.
6. Southwest LUV Vouchers are VOID if sold, altered, purchased, brokered, and/or bartered."

So, you're not supposed to sell them. Having said that, you could give them to a friend or family member, and if they wanted to thank you with a nice Christmas gift, that would be up to them.

I recently gave the remainder of my voucher, which would go unused otherwise, to a friend, who had no issues using the remaining funds (I used about $240, so he had about $60 to work with). And, no, I was not compensated for my generosity, I just wanted to pay it forward!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:26 pm

Anyone know where I can find the vouchers on the website, I can't seem to locate some that I got a few months back. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind

Last edited by scheister; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.