Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA alleges that exit row reserved for BS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
I'd like to post an apology to those that have encountered an FA making up their own rules. Recently I flew with an FA who would not allow anyone to change seats into the exit row until all BS had boarded. While I agree this is probably a good idea, there is no verbiage from HQ asking us to do that.

My experience is that most BS choose aisle seats in the front and very few come back to the exit row - but that doesn't matter. I would agree to any rule provided us by HQ that asks us to save the exit row until all BS have boarded.
1) It is not a good idea.
2) Did you correct the other FA on the policy?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
This is just another example of not knowing what to expect from Southwest FA. They are either an extremely good or bad group of service employees. One flight I might get professional employees who remind me of PMUA or American Airlines, the next time I might get comedians which I personally do not enjoy, or I might get someone on a power trip reminiscent of Continental FAs. Southwest is inconsistent and when I fly an airline I prefer consistency.

It is too bad you faced such a rude FA. Southwest needs to spend more money on training to make sure their FAs are professional and customer oriented. Yes, they are there for safety, but they need to act professional which this FA did not.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Recently I flew with an FA who would not allow anyone to change seats into the exit row until all BS had boarded.
African-American lady? If so, maybe the same one who chastised me.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So just now I have received a call from WN about this. Not sure the exact date I wrote them a snail letter, but it must have been early/mid-June, so about 6 weeks to respond.

Rep acknowledged that I was 100% right, that there is no prohibition on thru pax moving to exit row seats before the new folks come on (regardless if they are BS), etc. Said they'd pass along my info to whoever is responsible for training FAs. Offered me a $50 voucher for my trouble, which is fine with me. Supposed to come by email in a few days.

I'd be happy with no compensation if they'd just instruct their front-line, customer-facing people to follow the correct procedures, every time, every day, forever.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I'd be happy with no compensation if they'd just instruct their front-line, customer-facing people to follow the correct procedures, every time, every day, forever.
Pipe dream. Be happy with the $50.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Pipe dream. Be happy with the $50.
$50 means literally nothing to me. I want people to do their jobs.

For once.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium

For once.
ask them to please include in their letter what they told you via phone--there is no policy against moving seats. you could also white-out your personal info and post a link to it on a southwest flyertalk wiki. I recently requested a similar letter to re-explain the policy that bags that don't fit in the sizing bins are still OK to carry on if the wheels are the only thing preventing them from fitting.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:55 pm

There were about 20 through pax on my flight last week, and the exit rows were most definitely all occupied, along with both bulkhead aisle seats. Only two people boarded ahead of me at MCI, taking the second row aisles.
So, FA did allow seat shifters, as they should do.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DoctorK
Whatever happened to the "don't feed the trolls" policy?
Depends on what you feed them to.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
To follow up, I was BS with A-3 boarding pass the other day. I got on the plane and put my backpack in the bin. About 30 seconds later, a very rude FA can over and ordered me to put the bag under the seat in front of me. I was in such shock that I did it. Then I realized that the plane was basically empty and it couldn't have been a request because bins were filling up.

Anyway, when I opened the bin to deplane at the end of the flight, there were NO bags in there at all!

The incident has me questioning my loyalty. This situation was totally uncalled for.
Was that your only bag? If so, you should have reported it to Southwest and also asked the flight attendant to point out the documented rule.

If you had another bag the FA was correct (but they should have also known it was a pretty empty flight and bin space wouldn't be at a premium). Usually the GA makes an announcement saying FAA regulations allow one carryon and one smaller personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you. If that was your only item, the FA was out of line. If you had a larger big in the bin, then she was correct and it was your personal item and should have gone in the seat in front of you.

I usually carry on and my roller bag goes in the bin and my backpack in the seat in front of me and if I haven't been upgraded I hang on to my jacket until boarding is complete and if there is room in the bin, then I put my backpack and jacket up there. If not I hold on to my jacket or see if there is room in the bin to lay it neatly in front of the other bags and backpack goes underneath seat in front of me.

On the rare occasion I check a bag, the backpack goes in the bin and if I haven't been upgraded so does the jacket.

A tall guy from my office will check his carry on sized rollarbag if he hasn't been upgraded or isn't confirmed into EC or an exit row just so he has extra leg room and puts his backpack in the bin. He is actually freeing up bin space. If he was required to put the backpack in the seat in front of him, he would just carry on his rollerbag which takes up a lot more bin space
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:56 am

For once.
UNless you complain and keep complaining there will be no action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.