What constitutes a "legal" connection?

Old May 9, 2013, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What constitutes a "legal" connection?

So, tonight I was on WN 3401 from SLC, scheduled to arrive at 7:30 PM into PDX. I booked the most convenient connection for myself, time wise, using the WN booking engine. The connection to SMF (Flt. 3050), was scheduled from PDX at...7:55 PM? That's only 25 minutes between flights. Plus, the SLC leg was late by 5 minutes, so as the flight arrived, my second leg was already boarding.
So, my issues are two-fold. One, the seemingly not-legal connection, plus the fact that I was Business Select. With a boarding position of A01. I ran to the gate, then jumped the line, standing in a long cue, then ending up in a middle seat. Even if my inbound flight was on time, my connecting flight would still have already been boarding as we landed.
Should I contact customer service re: compensation? Or is this somehow my fault for not double checking my flight times when booking?
Actually, that's not possible with the way flights are listed on WN's booking engine. You only see the departure and arrival time of the trip...not the individual flights. Or maybe it is my fault for not booking all one-ways?
Any suggestions here? This issue would dissuade me from booking BS in the future.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
A 'legal' connection varies by airport. At my home, MDW, it is 45 minutes, I believe. At smaller airports it is as little as 25 minutes. You are not due any compensation, in my opinion. Contrary to your assertion, you absolutely do see the timing of the individual legs. It is on the second page of the booking process and quite apparent.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ExCrew
So, tonight I was on WN 3401 from SLC, scheduled to arrive at 7:30 PM into PDX. I booked the most convenient connection for myself, time wise, using the WN booking engine. The connection to SMF (Flt. 3050), was scheduled from PDX at...7:55 PM? That's only 25 minutes between flights. Plus, the SLC leg was late by 5 minutes, so as the flight arrived, my second leg was already boarding.
So, my issues are two-fold. One, the seemingly not-legal connection, plus the fact that I was Business Select. With a boarding position of A01. I ran to the gate, then jumped the line, standing in a long cue, then ending up in a middle seat. Even if my inbound flight was on time, my connecting flight would still have already been boarding as we landed.
Should I contact customer service re: compensation? Or is this somehow my fault for not double checking my flight times when booking?
Actually, that's not possible with the way flights are listed on WN's booking engine. You only see the departure and arrival time of the trip...not the individual flights. Or maybe it is my fault for not booking all one-ways?
Any suggestions here? This issue would dissuade me from booking BS in the future.
There are a lot of 25 minute connections in the system. Yes, they are tight for BS and A's if anything goes awry. For preboarders like me, it is even worse. I try to avoid anything under 35 minutes, and prefer 45+.

You did not need to wait in line. Take your BS BP, walk right to the OA and board in front of everyone waiting in line. It will not be an issue. Finally, for very close connections, front of the plane on the originating flight beats exit row. If it is short flight and full, you might even want to grab a middle to get off early.

Finally, if I had BS and had to take a middle on a short connection, I would call the customer care people and let them know that 25 minutes is too tight. They can not adjust without data. You may not get anything, but they need to know. As I understand the connection time, it is based a lot on whether the luggage can be moved in time and not the effect on passengers.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
If you click on the "1-stop" all route info appears...

Old May 10, 2013, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by traveller001
If you click on the "1-stop" all route info appears...
Good to know...thank you.
I wrote a letter to WN regarding this issue. I'll repost the reply.
With a 25 minute connection and a A01 bp, you're kind of set up to fail unless your inbound flight is late/outbound is delayed/the stars are all aligned in the sky.
Just my .02, but I don't appreciate a booking engine/flight schedule where I have to do the legwork to make sure I'll be able to make the connection. That's patently counterproductive.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 11, 2013 at 7:54 am Reason: Remove quoted image
Old May 10, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
You'll be fine with that connection at PDX. There are four WN gates, all across the hall from each other. At most, it's a two minute walk.

There's probably even time to grab some pizza from Pizza Schmizza next to C16.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ExCrew
One, the seemingly not-legal connection, plus the fact that I was Business Select. With a boarding position of A01. I ran to the gate, then jumped the line, standing in a long cue, then ending up in a middle seat. Even if my inbound flight was on time, my connecting flight would still have already been boarding as we landed.
At a minimum, I would ask for a credit of $40 (the cost of a Business Select boarding position with Business Select service), as that is something you paid for but clearly did not receive. As airlines start to offer more and more a la carte pricing, and then don't deliver some of the paid for a la carte items, it seems only reasonable to ask for and expect to receive an a la carte refund.
Old May 10, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
!!!

Please don't write anymore complaints to Southwest about connection times. By increasing the minimum connection times, you reduce the number of available routings and hidden city connections available...

Next time you should just accept that short connections are a toss up. Also that if you are BS/A-list that you can/should just cut in line.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I definitely concur here. I've lost so many options & connections out of ISP in the past few years.

Honestly, WN only cares about getting the plane turned around and on its way in a well proven & established time frame, NOT YOUR COMFORT.

I've been the victim of having BS or A16-20 boarding positions only to find the flight 1/2 boarded by the time I get there. Figure no use in complaining or asking for a refund. And it should make you think twice about buying BS especially with a connection because the only thing it guarantees is more points...
Old May 13, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by no2chem
!!!

Please don't write anymore complaints to Southwest about connection times. By increasing the minimum connection times, you reduce the number of available routings and hidden city connections available...

Next time you should just accept that short connections are a toss up. Also that if you are BS/A-list that you can/should just cut in line.
100% Concur with this post. Oh we'll... You ended up with a middle seat. You also got to your destination faster by having such a small connection time. I would rather have that flight (with a tight connection time) as an option then for them to take it off the board completely. Without it, you may have been parked at the airport for 2 hours.

In my opinion, you are not due anything. I would honestly be embarrassed to complain. When this happens to me, I sit as close to the front as possible, make the mad dash to the gate, and cut the line. If I end up getting a middle... Oh well. I was the one that booked a flight with such a tight connection.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Remember that BS is BS.

Unless you buy BS on WN and fly it on AirTran where they give you a real Business Class seat & experience. Did it twice last week. Oh, what a freaking JOY their Business Class is.

Why WN doesn't keep and/or offer this is a mystery. I'd combine both aspects of these 2 fine company's and create a super airline...

Last edited by joshua362; May 13, 2013 at 10:59 am
Old May 13, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by joshua362
Remember that BS is BS.

Unless you buy BS on WN and fly it on AirTran where they give you a real Business Class seat & experience. Did it twice last week. Oh, what a freaking JOY their Business Class is.

Why WN doesn't keep and/or offer this is a mystery. I'd combine both aspects of these 2 fine company's and create a super airline...
So if you book BS on WN and fly on AirTran metal you automatically get a Business Class seat?
Old May 13, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here's the deal with connections on WN. Check the connecting time and the ontime performance of the first leg BEFORE booking If you are comfortable with it, then book it. If you are not comfortable with it, then don't book it. It's really that simple.

You must be your own advocate here. This goes for ANY airline, but particularly WN since WN has open seating.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
A 'legal' connection varies by airport. At my home, MDW, it is 45 minutes, I believe.
In a tentative search for a December trip, I find a 30-minute connection at MDW.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I had a 30 minute connection at MDW last August. Tight, but doable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.