Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reasons to book all Southwest travel as one-way rather than round-trip

Reasons to book all Southwest travel as one-way rather than round-trip

Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Are return fares ever lower than one way fares? As is usually the case in International flights of other airlines.
Other than promo codes usable for RT only I've never seen it on Southwest. I doubt the website even has the capability to charge differently for RT.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Just thought of another one. If you book a new flight B using only part of the TTFs from a cancelled fare A, as I understand it WN does not credit you for points earned from B until you use up the rest of the TTFs associated with that A PNR.

Booking one-ways would mean you have 2 TTFs of ~half the amount each, so that you can use up the first half faster and get the points sooner.

Of course, booking as a round-trip means you'd use the TTFs up later, and maybe you can thereby shift points from one year to another for CP-management purposes.

Has anyone actually done the latter?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Are return fares ever lower than one way fares? As is usually the case in International flights of other airlines.
I wouldn't think in the case of AirTran or WN.

But I came across a shocking display of RT being much cheaper on DL which I assumed did away with RT specific pricing. Since FL no longer flies ATL-DFW, I was checking the WN fare to DAL. It was 150 -200 each way even with advance notice and they were all one stop flights, something I have no desire to do. So I looked at Delta and was shocked to see $500 one way fares!!!! So I complained on the Delta board and one poster helpfully directed me to the RT fares on the ATL-DFW segment for non stops. And the RT fare for the same combination of one ways cost only $210!!!!!!!!!! Cheaper than 2 WN one ways and MUCH MUCH cheaper for the same exact itinerary comprised of two one ways on the very same DL. Funny thing is DL has started to price some international one ways on a more prorated basis finally. THen I see this bit of idiotic outdated pricing.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Just thought of another one. If you book a new flight B using only part of the TTFs from a cancelled fare A, as I understand it WN does not credit you for points earned from B until you use up the rest of the TTFs associated with that A PNR.
I don't believe that is true. I know there are situations where they will not credit you until you 'use it up' but I don't think this situation is one of those.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
I don't believe that is true. I know there are situations where they will not credit you until you 'use it up' but I don't think this situation is one of those.
Sorry. I tried to do a search but could not come up with good keywords.

So can someone tell me under what various circumstances you have to "use it up" to get your points?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by texashoser
Yes. Because when you use the 'change' feature, you can choose to refare one leg or both - you're not forced to refare the entire RT. The problem, though, whether you book OW's or RT's is that with WGA fares, the 'refunded' portion will be in the form of a voucher that's slaved to that traveler.
Here's one for the wayback machine: you couldn't refare one-half of an R/T to a Ding fare. @:-)

If you were one who used to watch for Ding fares, you were best off booking each passenger and each segment separately. Four of us flying MCI-DAL-MCI = 8 PNR's. That way, if my flights popped on up Ding - even only a single direction and even if for only a seat or two - I could easily refare.

But I suppose that reason is moot these days...does Ding even exist anymore?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
For international bookings, check the Transportation Tax and see my description in this thread: International - Book Round-Trip Instead of One-Ways to Save Int'l Transportation Tax
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Big bump, but new info.

This is a narrow application, but there may be wider implications.

I researched BNA-OAK-BNA as RT (easier for pricing and picking dates) but forgot to go back and book one ways. When I realized it, my regular and XS had already been linked. So, too much trouble to fix I'll just do the RT. What could go wrong?

I booked with points. I booked the XS with points. On the return, I could not check in because the system had mishandled the refund for the XS which I had not yet requested. It took an hour on the phone with Dallas to get me on the plane. The agent re-booked me on an ITA and assured me that she had taken care of the points refund for the XS. Nope. Not there. Now I have to get on the phone with CS and get my 33K+points back.

Yes, (almost) always book one way. I learned my lesson. Good thing I was early.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
OK, this is a dumb reason but it is my reason.

I have an envelope with printouts of all my reservations in the order I will need them, if I need them. Air Out-Rental Car-Hotel-Air Back. After I check in for my flight, I move the Air Out reservation to the back of the envelope and now Rental Car is in front.

After the OW is competed, I can forget it and be done. It checks one thing off my list. Having a half done task waiting drives me up the wall. It's one of those little things.

I said it was dumb.
Not dumb. I do it too.

If I have a RT ticket, I highlight the flight I'm taking on the confirmation and put it in both places.

Makes my life easier with fast or complicated trips.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Of course, booking as a round-trip means you'd use the TTFs up later, and maybe you can thereby shift points from one year to another for CP-management purposes.

Has anyone actually done the latter?
Yes but before the IT upgrade. I did have a fail when I booked a BS RT and flew OW last year and refunded the BS this year.

Probably safe if you actually fly the return.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My main reason for booking one-ways was back in the era of Ding. You couldn't refare a regular R/T to a half-Ding R/T. (Dings were often one direction, not both.)

Kind of a moot point in 2016...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:55 pm

With the $29 CA fare sale, I booked round trips in order to avoid the fare being sold out while I was building one ways.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Here's another reason:

https://consumerist.com/2015/03/09/s...-on-the-plane/

Had this happened with two one-ways, all he would have lost is the points from the outbound leg.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:24 am

I am new to southwest and need to book 4 tickets traveling with family. So should I still book one ways or return, what happens if I need to cancel and book a cheaper flight for all? Do I do that thought the app or website or do I have to call.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:43 am

My understanding is the only benefit of purchasing one-ways vs round-trips is you don't have to call customer service to cancel one leg of a round-trip (i.e. with one ways you can do it yourself). In terms of price changes, it doesn't matter how you book it. However, one thing to keep in mind - if Southwest changes the time of one leg - my understanding is if you had a round-trip you can change the times/dates of BOTH flights for free, whereas if you had one-way, you can only change that one-way.

I think that's about the only difference but I am sure I am missing something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.