Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can you combine free flight change from SW schedule change with a sale fare credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you combine free flight change from SW schedule change with a sale fare credit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I booked an award round trip a couple months back, and got a notification that the flight schedule changed by maybe 10 minutes, giving me a free flight change opportunity. This is extra handy since I may well need to change my travel day anyway close to the travel date, and want to keep this option available.

I now saw that there is a fare sale which dropped the price of each leg of my flight by a few thousand points. Typically, if I see a fare sale on a flight I already have, I "change" the flight to the same one, but simply get the difference in points refunded.

Do you get only one or the other change (a free new date choice, or claim the fare difference, pick one), or is there any way to request credit to the new lower fare and still keep the free date change option? Does a schedule change basically lock you into the fare already paid, lest you forfeit your free new-schedule flight change?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:39 am

I’ve been in this scenario a few times. Make the initial fare change by phone and ask the agent to note that it shouldn’t count against the change limit (you can make two changes). Make future changes by phone also. Have had 100% success.
yst33 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.