Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 26, 13, 12:26 pm   #1

Airtran flights bookable on Southwest.com with points

I just noticed 9 non-stops daily between ATL and FLL. They are Airtran flights listed on Southwest.com and bookable with points.

Is this new? Is it CP eligible?

Interestingly, the codeshare, if that is what it is, seems to cover only some routes that Airtran serves that Southwest does not.
Old Jan 26, 13, 1:26 pm   #2

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Hertz 5*
interesting...

YES, I just booked a reservation, and it does allow Southwest Companion pass bookings on this "operated by Airtran" itinerary.

It's also interesting that it mentions AirTran's assigned seating, but then mentions Southwest's bag policies 2 checked bags free, free flight itinerary changes, and reusable travel funds with no change fee.
expert7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 13, 2:20 pm   #3

WN announces ATL-RSW/FLL & new city to be announced

This thread seems to hit on the subject too.

Very interesting that the codeshare only applies to a limited number of markets at this time. I would have thought they would have a big announcement and just codeshare everything, why not?

If/when they start codesharing international, then we will learn if the CP works.
Old Jan 26, 13, 2:32 pm   #4

As of a few days ago, booking confirmations now indicate "this itinerary operated by Southwest Airlines" or similar language.
smmrfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 13, 2:55 pm   #5

Programs: WN A-minus/CP;FL;UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
Very interesting that the codeshare only applies to a limited number of markets at this time. I would have thought they would have a big announcement and just codeshare everything, why not?
Open trial period to make sure that it actually works in practice. This is the period to see what unforeseen problems come up before opening it up on a wider scale.
alggag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 13, 4:48 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
interesting...

YES, I just booked a reservation, and it does allow Southwest Companion pass bookings on this "operated by Airtran" itinerary.

It's also interesting that it mentions AirTran's assigned seating, but then mentions Southwest's bag policies 2 checked bags free, free flight itinerary changes, and reusable travel funds with no change fee.
Boy, this would be the cat's meow if they left the reminder of Airtran alone and kept this codesharing under WN's policies! How did they handle the seating on the Airtran portion?
joshua362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 13, 9:07 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alggag View Post
Open trial period to make sure that it actually works in practice. This is the period to see what unforeseen problems come up before opening it up on a wider scale.
This exactly. Try things out and make sure it all works without any issues and then go full scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Boy, this would be the cat's meow if they left the reminder of Airtran alone and kept this codesharing under WN's policies! How did they handle the seating on the Airtran portion?
If you guy the ticket from WN or on Southwest.com then all WN policies apply. From FL or AirTran.com those policies apply. Assigned seating right now is done on check in 24 hours before the flight departs or at the airport.
flyventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 13, 5:59 am   #8

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice hotels primarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyventure View Post
If you guy the ticket from WN or on Southwest.com then all WN policies apply. From FL or AirTran.com those policies apply. Assigned seating right now is done on check in 24 hours before the flight departs or at the airport.
Interesting. The prices are identical ( I checked and they are ) , but you get free bags and no change fees if you book on WN website and pay for bags and pay for changes if you book on FL website.
lougord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 13, 8:44 pm   #9

Programs: WN A-List CP; AA; DL; MAR Plat; SPG Gold; HHon; Avis 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by alggag View Post
This.
AvGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 11:55 am   #10

Great to see the codeshare finally coming into place! However, the inability to select a seat on FL's assigned seat flights certainly would seem to be a big pitfall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this essentially mean that you will be placed in the last remaining seats the day of the flight?

This would be comparable to a guaranteed late C boarding. Any chance of adjacent seats could possibly be very limited when not flying solo.
SANdyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 13, 4:04 pm   #11

Since it is an Air Tran flight can you purchase EB? That would help with getting a better seat if that is an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer View Post
Great to see the codeshare finally coming into place! However, the inability to select a seat on FL's assigned seat flights certainly would seem to be a big pitfall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this essentially mean that you will be placed in the last remaining seats the day of the flight?

This would be comparable to a guaranteed late C boarding. Any chance of adjacent seats could possibly be very limited when not flying solo.
tradercj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 13, 9:33 pm   #12

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer View Post

Checking in online at T-24 is definately better than late C.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that actually booked it. Did they get two PNRs? One for Southwest and one for Airtran? Or one for both. (I suspect one for both)

NEW- I tried booking ORF-FLL on Airtran and I saw "This fare offers partial advance seat assignment. After completing your reservation, click on the 'Reserve Seats' button on the Receipt page to select your seats."

Since the price wasn't much greater for BC I chose that. Wondering if that would also get BS boarding on the first WN leg?

Last edited by traveller001; Feb 2, 13 at 7:42 pm.. Reason: new info
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 10:42 am   #13

Comedy of errors trying to get seat assignments ATL-FLL-ATL. Had to call SW and Airtran and put them on a conference call. SW could assign seats, but couldn't see them. Airtran could see them, but couldn't assign. Both airlines seemed surprised to hear about the codeshare.

Not ready for prime time, but we got there.
Old Mar 15, 13, 10:39 am   #14

Booked Air Tran flights today through SWA website with points: MCO/PHL for July. I had to phone the Rapid Rewards desk to add Companion Pass as that option did not appear in my booking.

Seat assignments are still as explained earlier in this thread - 24 hours before by going to southwest.com. The agent said the seat thing will hopefully be fully integrated soon.

She was specific in telling me to be sure when arriving at the airport to check in at Air Tran. Apparently there's been some confusion!
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 13, 1:14 pm   #15

Programs: WN A-List Pref. & CP, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
Booked Air Tran flights today through SWA website with points: MCO/PHL for July. I had to phone the Rapid Rewards desk to add Companion Pass as that option did not appear in my booking.

Seat assignments are still as explained earlier in this thread - 24 hours before by going to southwest.com. The agent said the seat thing will hopefully be fully integrated soon.

She was specific in telling me to be sure when arriving at the airport to check in at Air Tran. Apparently there's been some confusion!
I booked SAT-SJU on points and had no problem adding CP. That flight is all AirTran so I expected to check-in with them. I wonder what I do for the next flight I have that isn't AirTran until the connection??? Check-in at the layover gate?
OC_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote