Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

As of 1/21/2013 you can pay $40 to board with business select (revenue tickets only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As of 1/21/2013 you can pay $40 to board with business select (revenue tickets only)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Wild thought- Could a CP boarder upgrade for that 40 bucks and effectively eliminate the seat saving drama for those that book the primary as BS?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:22 pm

It was mentioned earlier the CP passengers can't upgrade. (And suggested that those on points-purchased fares cannot either.)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Why pay the $40? Isnt the $20 trick to the gate agent working anymore?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Southwest understands that "there's one born every minute."
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
So why exactly should an Airtran customer feel good about Airtran being phased out by WN? With 69 bucks, a person can get BC in Airtran. For just $15 or 20 , you can get a GUARANTEED EXIT ROW seat of YOUR CHOICE before you even show up at the airport ending any suspense.

Praying that WN continues to keep delaying the entire integration.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Angry

Originally Posted by oldcatcher
Have to agree.

The Business Class Fare to me should also include premium seating for the $$$ spent on the fare, I've already regretted the xtra $$$ spent on business class fares because of the loose SW Pre-Boarder policy, sometimes you just shake your head at the numbers of pre-boarders, all it takes is to go to the counter and request pre-boarding and you get it.

I fly to FLL frequently for work and the amount of pre-boarders to and from is laughable, mostly because todays' Southwest air travelers know how to 'work' the system for pre-boarding passes plain and simple.

-David Martin
I agree why pay $40 when yiou can get a Blue Sleeve for free. The amount of Blue sleeves handed out is disgusting especially when they sit in the front and are the first out. Last week I was checking in next to 2 people who received "C'" boarding slots. While one complained that they would get middle seats the other responded "let's just get Blue Sleeves at the Desk and board first". When I got to my gate I noticed that they were at the next gate and low and behold they ha dBlue Sleeves. BTW they were in better shape than I was.......silly me for Boarding in the A23 slot.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:22 pm

I see the thread title has been updated. Do we actually have confirmation from WN that the upgrade is only available on revenue tickets?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Hokies82
I agree why pay $40 when you can get a Blue Sleeve for free.
Yeah, this puts a dollar price on cheating the pre-board process. I predict that the number of Blue Sleeves will increase by more than the sales of Boarding Select or whatever they call it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Is it a flat $40 no matter the length of the flight? And if there is a connection do you have to pay the $40 again?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I'm an A+ and pretty easy going but this one grinds my gears... It's a slap in the face to their best customers.

I go out of my way to fly WN 40+ times a year and feel my main perc of A+ is all-important boarding position. So.. Now you're telling me...

A) is that someone who finds a $79 sale on a ticket to Orlando can pay an extra $40 to to board A2? Meanwhile I paid $350 for that BS ticket. It's even possible that they board before me if someone changed their flight and a BS slot opened up. Garbage.

B) my 40+ flights a year and 75000 credits gets trumped by a once a year traveler who decides to lay down $40 to hoard the good seats.

I don't mind getting out-seated by someone who paid for a BS ticket but for someone to get the cheapest WGA fair and upgrade at the last minute... That a crock of BS

I am going to sand an email and post in their FB page.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by jb3t
I'm an A+ and pretty easy going but this one grinds my gears... It's a slap in the face to their best customers.

I go out of my way to fly WN 40+ times a year and feel my main perc of A+ is all-important boarding position. So.. Now you're telling me...

A) is that someone who finds a $79 sale on a ticket to Orlando can pay an extra $40 to to board A2? Meanwhile I paid $350 for that BS ticket. It's even possible that they board before me if someone changed their flight and a BS slot opened up. Garbage.

B) my 40+ flights a year and 75000 credits gets trumped by a once a year traveler who decides to lay down $40 to hoard the good seats.

I don't mind getting out-seated by someone who paid for a BS ticket but for someone to get the cheapest WGA fair and upgrade at the last minute... That a crock of BS

I am going to sand an email and post in their FB page.
Me. Exact same. +1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is awesome!

No dilemma anymore on whether to select WN or UA for my occasional full fare midcon. I will simply go with UA where I have a good shot at an F seat. Because this new policy removes any incentive for me to rack up expensive biz full fare tix in order to earn A-list. Now I can simply pay $40 in the unlikely event I am flying long-haul on WN and leapfrog all those A-list elites and EBCI chumps. And then laugh at anyone who shells out $40 for the 1-hour flights.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
This is tacit admission that they are leaving money on the table (pure cash profit) by not collecting bag fees.

How the once simple and transparent (and fair) WN has fallen - introducing status and now undermining status. Do Kelly and Smisek have each other on FaceTime?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'd be surprised if this really catches on. $40 is a rather significant price to pay for what essentially amounts to a roll of the dice for a premium seat.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
$40 for slightly earlier cattle-car boarding!? That's in the ballpark of Economy Plus/Economy Comfort type seating buy-ups...and not far off from at-the-airport F upgrades I've been offered on the mainstream airlines for some short flights.

UA used to offer one-time priority boarding for something like ~$10. Sure you still had GS, 1K, etc ahead but you had a pre-assigned seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.