Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
I tend to agree. The airline has no policy allowing saved seats or keeping others from taking a 'saved' seat. IMHO, the saving of seats for those with later boarding passes is usually gaming the system for an unfair advantage.

You get the behavior you tolerate.
Depends on your, or I suppose more specifically, WN's definition of "available" as their policy is you sit in any "available" seat. Without getting to far-fetched by way of an example, let's say A1 and A2 are first to board and take window and aisle in the first row. A1 would easily have enough time to use the restroom during boarding.

So is it ok for B16 to take A1's seat because it's saved but not occupied? Or is it only ok to take a saved seat when the person it's being saved for isn't already on the plane?

IMHO, I would say that if the person is already on the plane, it's ok to save their seat but how do you really know if the person is or is not on the plane?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+; Marriott Gold; HHonors DIA
I always fail to understand why this makes people upset when it is so widely know that the policy is there is no policy and regular human behavior will sort itself on this. If someone becomes overly irate (whether the seat saver or the open seat civil rightist) they will be shown the exit.

I took a flight last week in which I boarded A16, my SIL was A57, my wife A59, my 6yo B2 and my 66 yo mother B27. I boarded, made my way to row 21, explained to the FA that I understood the policy but would like for our group to sit as closely together as possible. We didn't take an exit row, if someone had demanded a certain seat we would have reshuffled, and politely informing the flight attendant let her help people move along to other, just as preferable seats.

I think it is ok to save seats, but not premium ones. And if someone asks for the seat, you should have plan B in mind. Again, normal human behavior should prevail. Blocking the first row or the exit rows... not normal. Boarding as a preboarder and sitting in preferred seats... not normal. Getting mad when a family is trying to sit together... nor normal. Becoming irate when someone wants the middle seat you were hoping to be empty... not normal.

Southwest has a perfect policy on this. We don't need rules prescribing every detail of life because certain people just cannot follow basic treatment of others.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Once you say Thank you and set down the game is over,'

The next one who opens his mouth loses the seat...

I often see people just get up and move.... Many time no one is setting or will set in the empty seat...

Be assertive and put an end to this seat saving crap...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:23 pm

Yes, this totally works because everyone has the same idea of what "normal" is. </sarcasm>

I, for example, believe that attempting to save seats for a group of 5 passengers is "not normal."
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I have noticed an increase of seat saving. There has not been a flight that I have been on where there was no seat saving. Today took the cake. One man saved 4 seats and only needed three. He was hoping that no one would sit in the middle between his daughters.

My friend was on a flight from FLL to PVD and paid for EBCI. When he got on, one person was saving 18 seats. He wrote a letter and yep, there is no policy, however WN did send him a $50.00 LUV certificate.

I fly WN just about every month and certainly have a huge increase.

ML
How does one person oversee the saving of 18 seats? Did he stand in front of row 22 holding a big sign reading these last 3 rows of seats are saved."?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
There once was an unofficial "policy" where seats could not be saved in the exit rows which I've heard echoed by several FA's. Has this changed?
At an intermediate stop, I once was trying to move to an exit row seat. I had a FA tell me exit row seats were saved for newly-boarding BS passengers.

Told her there absolutely is no such rule and called another FA over, who confirmed my right to sit there.

These FAs and their personal rules drive me nuts.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
At an intermediate stop, I once was trying to move to an exit row seat. I had a FA tell me exit row seats were saved for newly-boarding BS passengers.

Told her there absolutely is no such rule and called another FA over, who confirmed my right to sit there.

I do recall that discussion and it's absurd incorrect application.

But I still swear I overhead a FA on more than once occasion saying no seat saving in the exit row and it being affirmed here, likely because the FA has stand there and vet the exit row passengers. Perhaps I dreamt it all...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by joshua362
But I still swear I overhead a FA on more than once occasion saying no seat saving in the exit row and it being affirmed here, likely because the FA has stand there and vet the exit row passengers. Perhaps I dreamt it all...
Flying back from LAS with my wife a few weeks back, I grabbed the 2-seat "exit row", held the other for her. Rather than deal with people who were attempting to take the other seat, FA attempting to intervene, I simply got on my phone, was able to ignore them long enough for my wife to arrive.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Have also heard the announcement on stop-overs multiple times "For those passengers flying on to XX city, please remain in your seats and allow our boarding Business Class passengers to be seated. Once that's complete you can change seats"

Originally Posted by diver858
Flying back from LAS with my wife a few weeks back, I grabbed the 2-seat "exit row", held the other for her. Rather than deal with people who were attempting to take the other seat, FA attempting to intervene, I simply got on my phone, was able to ignore them long enough for my wife to arrive.
When flying with the wife, I board first (A-List) and take 11-B in the LUV seats if available. I hope/urge the exit row FA to stand in 11-C on the aisle (she/he has to stand in 1 of the 3 exit row aisle seats). If someone takes 11-C, no big deal. If someone asks if 11-C is available I tell them my wife is right behind them, but feel free to take the seat if they'd like. I check in the wife at T-24 and 95% of the time she ends up in 11-C without seat saving.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Collee
How does one person oversee the saving of 18 seats? Did he stand in front of row 22 holding a big sign reading these last 3 rows of seats are saved."?
You know that tape that is used at weddings (or funerals) that is put across the ends of rows and says "Reserved for Family?" Yep. 3 rows, both sides, behind exit rows. Classic. Seat Nazi was standing in the aisle directing the family members into the assigned seats (and you thought WN does not have assigned seating). Kids would whine that they did not want to sit next to someone and the seat Nazi with her chart insisted. Oh, that must have been a fun family adventure.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You know that tape that is used at weddings (or funerals) that is put across the ends of rows and says "Reserved for Family?" Yep. 3 rows, both sides, behind exit rows. Classic. Seat Nazi was standing in the aisle directing the family members into the assigned seats (and you thought WN does not have assigned seating). Kids would whine that they did not want to sit next to someone and the seat Nazi with her chart insisted. Oh, that must have been a fun family adventure.

LOL! I keep visualizing this "scene" and cannot stop laughing.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:39 pm

Once I was on a flight that stopped but I wasn't getting out (sorry, I can't remember the official term). There were about 7 of us doing that.

The FAs asked us all not to change seats or use the lav until they had gone through and done some sort of seat check. "Don't worry," they said, "you'll have plenty of time to do that before the new passengers board".

Lies, all of it, lies! So there we are, trying to use the forward lav while people are coming in, it was ridiculous. Someone tries to take an aisle seat. "Whose sweater is this? Why is it here?" Of course the person was in the lav and luckily the new passenger figured it out. All this chaos could have easily been avoided by the FAs, this was not seat saving but it sure looked like it.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:21 am

Wink

I have seen many abuses of the system. My favorite (worst) was on a leisure flight with points where a middle aged mom took the 'sweetheart seat (2 with open window ) where I preferred to sit with my wife if available (as ALP I boarded early onto the plane not sure how she beat me on but she was not Business Select.) I clearly had no interest in sitting next to her but was taken aback that she was saving the seat next to her and the exit aisle across for her son. The flight attendant clearly should have noticed this chicanery
I took a seat a bit farther back to sit with my wife who had not boarded and noticed when her husband and son boarded. Anyway when the husband boarded he noticed the exit row with the window seat behind with long leg room. He decided that was more to his liking and the woman moved back with him. So she cost me to lose my preferred seating - I was already too far back to take advantage of the change.
Her son got the saved exit row.
After decades of flying WN I am getting weary of the seat games. I have been fortunate and usually get an exit aisle (paying for it by buying business select) but these fares are getting crazy. I am flying to CLT later today on AA -525 first class bought a few days ago. WN was over 700 BS with very limited schedule. Last month FC to MCO 525 on AA 1000 business select.
I have a boatload of miles and companion pass but WN better keep theie eyes on fares and seating for premium fare passengers. My reason for WN is preference for airport and flyer program. I have lost alot of LUV for Southwest.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
A "through" flight. That count is done by the outgoing crew (if there is a change) within seconds of the last deplaning passenger leaving. Likely in their rush to get out too, they forgot the announcement. If I'm going to switch or the lav, I watch for the count then go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.