Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Resolves Class Action Suit - Old drink Coupons

SWA Resolves Class Action Suit - Old drink Coupons

Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I just got 69 coupons if my math is right. A year is short so I'll probably just give the FA's a sheet each flight and buy 8 of my closest seat mates a drink. Also, I should note that all of the coupons are identical so I predict massive abuse coming soon... maybe another class action lawsuit...more likely WN will probably just give everyone free drinks for the next year if they look the part.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've actually been able to redeem a couple of the old yellow undated chits. About 9 months ago I flew HOU-LGA and the FA took them and didn't care. Another time I had a FA literally laugh at me and say "we haven't accepted those in years" and but given her demographic I figured she wouldn't be friendly to the old yellow chits but decided to chance my luck anyway.

I only wound up with them because my mom was cleaning out old files and gave them to me since I fly WN more than her. I'll keep trying to use them until I run out. I'm not part of the class though, so no new old tickets for me.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:31 pm

I got 27 coupons in the mail. The next few flights are going to be fuuuuuuun.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:19 am

I will graciously accept any drink tickets that might otherwise go unused.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Received 30. Since I now fly AA and they don't have a name on them it looks like ebay is my friend.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:07 pm

Selling them is a violation of terms, making them void. Of course, in practice this doesn't actually happen. I'm kinda shocked that they printed them without individual names/RR account numbers (last 4), so there's no easy way of policing things like ebay sales.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
Selling them is a violation of terms, making them void. Of course, in practice this doesn't actually happen. I'm kinda shocked that they printed them without individual names/RR account numbers (last 4), so there's no easy way of policing things like ebay sales.
They probably want to be sure the things have value so as not to piss people off even more.

60 drink tickets tied to my name, expiring in a year, would not be worth much to me.

I would at least be able to sell them on the sly.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They probably want to be sure the things have value so as not to piss people off even more.

60 drink tickets tied to my name, expiring in a year, would not be worth much to me.

I would at least be able to sell them on the sly.
Drink tickets have never been tied to a name.

My point being that, tickets without any identifying information are seemingly easier to scalp.

And, it occurs to me now, counterfeit.

I see this as an admission by WN that the policy against sale is not actually worthy of enforcement.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was pleased to receive 6 coupons, particularly as I have recently increased my travel on WN and should have opportunity to use them.

IMO this is actually one of the better class action settlements - something I can actually use and has real value to me. As opposed to a useless discount coupon (Hertz) or worse a tiny discount on an expensive service (mlb at bat TV subscription). Though still not as good as the $135 payout I received from the DeBeers antitrust settlement. ^
Old May 4, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Got 72 today. Probably the last thing I need is a challenge to use them all within a year given the few flights I'm likely to take. But I'll try and give away the rest here
Old May 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Just bought too many drink coupons at ~$1.50 each. Guess that makes up for not having lounge acesss on many of my WN flights...

Will FAs give me a double for two coupons? Is that based on discretion or is it policy?
Old May 7, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I just won an auction on ebay for 27 of the coupons. Cost? $37 Gonna be a fun year flying Southwest. Let's just hope they arrive by Friday since my next WN flight is Saturday AM.

Which one of you is this guy? Selling 75 drink coupons

https://houston.craigslist.org/tix/6110270842.html
Old May 7, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by synergistic
Just bought too many drink coupons at ~$1.50 each. Guess that makes up for not having lounge acesss on many of my WN flights...

Will FAs give me a double for two coupons?
Absolutely. I almost always order 2 at a time. Never a problem.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:12 pm

Ebay is flooded with these coupons right now.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ursine1
Ebay is flooded with these coupons right now.
It may be flooded, but at what point will people buy? My general rule is that i won't buy airline drink tix at a price >50% of the menu cost. So for SW, I won't pay more than $2.50. United, I won't pay above $3. You get the idea.

There are people that get greedy and looking at ebay now, I see some people that want $3/chit. I'm sorry but I'm not going to go through the effort of buying on ebay for savings like that.

And then there is this guy selling 24 of the now worthless tan "no expiry" chits, and is throwing in 4 valid ones as a bonus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-EXPIRATIO...4AAOSwONBZBjVN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.