Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Resolves Class Action Suit - Old drink Coupons

Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
I actually still have the coupons. Time for me to book a flight on SW.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by shopper711
I actually still have the coupons. Time for me to book a flight on SW.
You still have the Business Select drink coupons? The tan ones aren't covered by the settlement. (Which apparently doesn't require the physical coupons anyway.)

Whatever coupons you have won't do you any good an a Southwest flight.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Every corporation makes mistakes. Sheesh
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by derv88
Yes. And some mistakes made by foolish companies may seem to be minor, but turn out to greatly damage customer good will and eventually cost that company millions of dollars.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
do you work for WN? based on your posts you're really drinking the WN koolaid.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yes, but smart ones listen to their customers when they are screaming at them not to do something, or to reverse a policy.

I've been a WN guy for years, CP since about 2006, but I am seriously thinking of switching to AA, after I burn some WN points/Awards/credit.

Seems like every couple weeks there is a new degradation at WN. Only thing that would keep me is extension of the CP to all Airtran routes as they integrate.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by gogreyhound
First, here is what the actual settlement document says about those eligible, although the document doesn't allow cutting and pasting:

The class of the class action is defined as "all Southwest customers who purchased an Eligible Drink Voucher through the purchase of a Business Select ticket or otherwise during the time period before August 1, 2010, but who did not redeem the Eligible Drink voucher. ... The class does not include Southwest customers who obtained drink vouchers or drink coupons through the Southwest Rapid Rewards program ...."
So the attorneys are congratulating themselved on a deal that probably affects only a small number of the coupons. Not only were the RR coupons around years before BS fares, but we can all see in the boarding lines that BS usually does not fill the A1-15 slots.
By contrast, the case as originally filed covered all unredeemed coupons, but the lawyers quickly retreated from that.

Paragraph DD notes that the replacement coupons will have an expiration date, but does not specify how that will be determined.

Section X says that Southwest will pay attorneys fees ranging from $1.75 million to $7 million, subject to a later application, and "costs" of as much as $30,000. In cash, course, not coupons. So valuing this deal at $28 million to $56 million is just a way for the attorneys to justify a weak result for a weak case. Why am I not excited by this?
This could cover some tan coupons as Southwest used to sell coupon books at the gate.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
So when does this actually happen? I don't see any links in the article, or dates. Flying out for CES and could use a few replacements.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:43 am
Suspended

Southwest Airlines Settles Lawsuit For 5.8 Million Drink Vouchers

Here is the link:

https://www.southwestvouchersettlement.com/

If you bought a biz class ticket and the old type drink vouchers expired you may be part of the class action suit and be entitled to new drink vouchers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Per the FAQ on the Settlement site:
"You do not need to still have the actual unredeemed drink coupons in your possession in order to submit a Claim."
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Good I read this thread first, because just this week I threw away 20 tan coupons ... but as they were RR award coupons and not BS coupons.. no dice for me.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I agree with an earlier poster - this is a weak result from a weak legal case.

WN *could* just mail out a voucher for all BS purchasers covered in the settlement period, but that would deprive court jesters of their "expenses" (subject to audit).

Just another typical class action suit that is easier to pay the vultures to go pick on another airline. But in the long run, we all know what happens to appeasers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Just got the following in an email this weekend:

In Re Southwest Airlines Voucher Litigation, No. 11-CV-8176

Legal Notice
Did you receive a Southwest Airlines drink coupon through the purchase of a Business Select ticket prior to August 1, 2010, and never redeem it?

If yes, a legal settlement provides a Replacement Drink Voucher, entitling you to a free drink aboard a Southwest flight, for every such coupon you did not redeem.

A court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

A settlement has been proposed in a class action lawsuit about drink coupons received by customers of Southwest Airlines in connection with their purchase of Business Select tickets. The settlements will provide Replacement Drink Vouchers to Entitled Class Members.
The United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois will have a hearing to decide whether to give final approval to the settlement so that Replacement Drink Vouchers can be distributed. The people in the Class may submit Claim Forms to request Replacement Drink Vouchers, may exclude themselves from the settlement, may object to the settlement, or may ask to speak at the hearing. Get a Detailed Notice by calling toll free the number below, or by visiting the website below.

Who’s included? Southwest’s records indicate that you may be a member of the Settlement Class. The Class includes anyone who received a drink coupon from Southwest prior to August 1, 2010, through the purchase of a Business Select ticket, but did not redeem the drink coupon. The Class does not include those who only obtained drink coupons through the Southwest Rapid Rewards program or as a result of being a member of the Southwest Rapid Rewards program.

Who is sued? Southwest Airlines Co. is the company sued.

What does the settlement provide? The settlement provides one Replacement Drink Voucher for every drink coupon received by a Southwest customer prior to August 1, 2010, through the purchase of a Business Select ticket, but never redeemed, subject to audit by Southwest. The Settlement also provides injunctive relief. The Settlement Agreement, available at www.SouthwestVoucherSettlement.com or by calling 1-888-288-2153, has the details about the proposed settlement.

How do you ask for Replacement drink vouchers? You must submit a Claim Form. You can file a Claim online by clicking this online claim link, or you may call 1-888-288-2153 to request a paper Claim Form be mailed to you. You can mail, fax, e-mail, or submit your Claim Form online. If you mail it, it must be post-marked by September 2, 2013 to the address on the Claim Form. If you submit it any other way, it must be submitted to the Settlement Administrator by midnight on September 2, 2013.

Your other options. If you don’t want Class Relief from this settlement, and you don’t want to be legally bound by it, you must exclude yourself by April 11, 2013 or you won’t be able to sue, or continue to sue, Southwest about the claims in this case. If you ask to be excluded, you can’t get Class Relief from this settlement. If you stay in the settlement, you may object to it by April 11, 2013. The detailed written notice available on the website below explains how to exclude yourself or object. You can also call the number below to hear about how to exclude yourself or object.

The Court will hold a hearing in this case, called In Re Southwest Airlines Voucher Litigation, No. 11-CV-8176, on May 21, 2013 to consider whether to approve the settlement and a request by the lawyers for fees, costs and expenses. You will not pay the lawyers representing the Class; they will be paid by Southwest. Class Counsel will be requesting attorneys’ fees of up to $7,000,000. Southwest will not object to a fee of $1,750,000. If the Settlement is approved, Southwest will be released from all liability for the claims. The Settlement Agreement, located on the website below, explains this fully. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing, at your own cost, but you don’t have to. For more information call toll free or visit www.SouthwestVoucherSettlement.com.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Really curious as to how exactly much the lawyers will get. "To be determined later," after the attention has faded away. Nice system they got.
Originally Posted by XLR26
...Class Counsel will be requesting attorneys fees of up to $7,000,000. Southwest will not object to a fee of $1,750,000...
So we have an answer to my question. Between $1,750,000 and $7,000,000.

$7,000,000 is way more than the wholesale cost of the drinks. What a joke.

I hope WN learned a lesson.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:14 pm

I submitted my claim. I actually had several early morning BS flights in 2009 and 2010 where I joked that it was ridiculous to expect a "business" passenger to booze up for a 6am flight.

What a waste of a lawsuit, but I might as well get a handful of drink coupons out of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.