Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN to FL for International Travel a workaround?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP

I need a sanity check on a flight I just booked. FL flies to Cabo in Mexico but their destination is from Orange County (SNA).

Because the WN and FL reservation ticketing system isnt combined yet, I booked a flight (on points) from Austin to SNA that connects via PHX and arrives at 1100. The SNA to Cabo leaves at 1230. I paid for the FL flight since it was only 275 RT.

The return ticket was a bit more problematic since the flight from Cabo to SNA gets in too late to catch a flight home that night so I will have to book a hotel to catch the first WN flight back in the morning.

Assuming the WN flight makes it on time, I assume that SNA airport is small enough that I can walk to that terminal and board the FL flight 1 1/2 hours later. I am not checking bags.

BTW, since I have more points than I know what to do with, I plan to start doing this once a month to a beach location. I can't wait until I can book using just one system (and not have to pay double fare)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
No Problem

You should have no problem. SNA is only 22 gates total. Both FL and WN are in the "C" section - Gates 15-22.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Although I would leave more than 1.5 hours for an international connection, SNA airport is relatively small. Running from one end to the other wouldn't take more than 6 or 7 minutes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Toan
BTW, since I have more points than I know what to do with, I plan to start doing this once a month to a beach location.
You can send 19,200 points to AirTran to get a free capacity-controlled RT. Did they not have award seats open on your flights?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
I think the flight wasnt eligible for the lower points. Or at least I couldnt figure out how to use them.

I cant wait for CP to apply to FL flights.

Also, I didnt want to pay the 6 dollars to pick my seat. As a A Lister + with a FL A + match does that mean I will get an upgrade if there is one available?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Toan
Also, I didnt want to pay the 6 dollars to pick my seat. As a A Lister + with a FL A + match does that mean I will get an upgrade if there is one available?
Only if you have signed up for Airtran's A+ and call Rapid Rewards for the upgrade. Then ask them to ensure your A+ is properly credited toward the flight.

PS you won't be able to check-in for the Airtran flight until you present your passport. So following up on the no cost Elite seat assignment might be in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.