change of plan-options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
change of plan-options

Hi folks,
Sorry for the noobie question.
I've a flight in november,a basic sale fare,that I won't now need on this trip.
Can I park it for a year? And if so is it a year from the original booking or from the original date of flying?
Can the full value of it go into a credit file(like virgin does) for accessing at another new booking?
If so how does that work?

(Unfortunately,the flyertalk mobile app doesn't work well with search as it sends you to the web,rather than inside this app.Same with links in the app)

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Earthman
Hi folks,
Sorry for the noobie question.
I've a flight in november,a basic sale fare,that I won't now need on this trip.
Can I park it for a year? And if so is it a year from the original booking or from the original date of flying?
Can the full value of it go into a credit file(like virgin does) for accessing at another new booking?
If so how does that work?

(Unfortunately,the flyertalk mobile app doesn't work well with search as it sends you to the web,rather than inside this app.Same with links in the app)

Thanks in advance
After cancellation, the full value goes into a "Travel Fund", valid for a year from the original booking date. SW will issue a cancellation confirmation number (usually your original ticket confirmation number plus some extra digits) associated with your travel fund. You can check the balance online.

Next time, when you purchase a new ticket, you can apply the travel fund (along with any SW gift card or LUV vouchers) during the checkout/payment process.

If you cancel a trip in which you paid with two (or more) travel funds with different expiration dates, the resulting new TF will have the expiration of the oldest fund.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Excellent.
Thank you for that
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The travel fund is identified by the original confirmation code.

Buy one-way, one-person tickets. That minimizes the mixing of new and old money, since mixed money becomes old money, with the earlier expiration date. There are other reasons to book one-way tickets, primarily ease of replacing one direction only with a lower fare.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Do you have to use the voucher by the expiration date or do you just have to book by the expiration date? The website doesn't clarify
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dangjr213
Do you have to use the voucher by the expiration date or do you just have to book by the expiration date? The website doesn't clarify
Use for a ticket and actually fly by the expiration date or it vanishes.

These funds are tied specifically to the person on the original ticket.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
A "Travel Fund" is different from a Southwest "LUV Voucher". You get a TF from your cancelled flights or fare adjustments, and can be used only by the person on the original ticket. On the other hand, sometimes you get a "LUV Voucher" from Southwest, as a compensation for a voluntary bump or apology of some sort, and these can be used by anyone. In both cases, need to use it (fly) by the expiration date.

It's not written as a policy, buy Southwest allows extension of 6 months for an expired Travel fund, with a $75 fee deducted from the expired TF. The remaining funds is issued as a Voucher, which can be used by anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.