Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about Southwest VISA and annual fee / bonus points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Southwest VISA and annual fee / bonus points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Question Question about Southwest VISA and annual fee / bonus points

Hi all,

Last year I opened a Chase SWA Visa for the 50k bonus points. I've just been charged the $99 annual fee and plan to call to ask them to either waive it or cancel my card.

I had 10k points left in my account, and they added 6k points for the cardmember anniversary.

If they don't waive the fee and I have to close the account, what happens to my points? I imagine I lose the 6k, but do the 10k remain in my Southwest Rapid Rewards account, or does Chase take those away since they're associated with the credit card and not from points due to flying?

Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Once the points have been transferred from Chase to Southwest, they're yours, regardless of what you later do with the Chase account.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

One thing the rep told me on the phone is that you can only redeem points for flights when you close the card. So I guess I should look at the value for gift cards vs flights before canceling.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
The More Rewards section shows three basic amounts of gift cards:
3,000 pts for $25 (1pt = 0.83˘)
5,000 pts for $50 (1 pt = 1˘)
10,000 pts for $100 (1pt = 1˘)

In contrast, redeeming points for Wanna Get Away fares is 60 pts for $1, which comes out to 1pt = 1.67˘. Redeeming for flights will therefore always be the best use of points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.