Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW reduced airfare BUT I can't change payment because I paid partly with exp TTF's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW reduced airfare BUT I can't change payment because I paid partly with exp TTF's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to a SW rep and this policy sounds absurd.

I booked a one way flight costing $200 last week from point A to point B.
I paid a portion ($60) of the fare with ticket-less travel funds (TTF) expiring Aug 2. I paid the rest ($140) of the fare with my credit card.

I noticed today the same flight on the same day today costs $160. Southwest will match the price and give me a $40 credit in TTF which expires Aug 2.

Why can't I get a credit card refund for the $40? Or why can't the expiration date of the $40 in TTF be one year from the date of the booked flight?

What am I supposed to do with $40 in TTF that expires the next day after my flight? [I can't even give them to someone else to use!]
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You can extend expired TTF's, for $75. Boy, that helps, doesn't it?

You can go here for all the info you will ever need.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Next time fly Delta and you will pay only a $150 change fee and if there's any ticket value left over, it's all yours
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:34 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Next time fly Delta and you will pay only a $150 change fee and if there's any ticket value left over, it's all yours
Or fly Alaska, Jetblue, or Airtran(?), pay nothing, and get a credit good for a year. https://www.yapta.com/airline-refunds/
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You can extend expired TTF's, for $75. Boy, that helps, doesn't it?

You can go here for all the info you will ever need.
my question isn't about extending the TTF's. why would i extend $40 of TTF and pay a $75 fee?

What doesn't make sense to me is why southwest is automatically applying the expiration date of my credit card payment to the date of my TTF's!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by odom4president
my question isn't about extending the TTF's. why would i extend $40 of TTF and pay a $75 fee?

What doesn't make sense to me is why southwest is automatically applying the expiration date of my credit card payment to the date of my TTF's!
Whenever you commingle funds in a new reservation, they take on the oldest expiration date of any of the individual funds.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards

The only real answer is "Because that's how it works." Any time you combine funds, the earliest expiration date from any funds you use 'taints' the entire ticket. All of the funds used for that ticket now have that earliest expiration date. The original confirmation email you got from the first flight says "All travel involving funds from this Confirmation Number must be completed by the expiration date". This is what that means.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
As for this part,
Why can't I get a credit card refund for the $40?
That's a lot easier to answer, and your outrage about that is far more absurd. The fare you purchased isn't a refundable fare. There's no earthly reason to expect them to refund that money to your credit card.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
In my failed attempt a humor, I may have obfuscated the matter. In the simplest terms possible:

TTF's are good for one year unless extended by a $75 fee subtracted from the available funds. Not a bad deal for a $400 ticket and beats the $150 most charge for any change.

When buying a ticket, WN does not bother to keep up with which finds were used nor the date they will expire and keep a separate list. They take the the funds that expire first and apply that all of the funds. Had you cancelled the flight, you would have had a TTF good through Aug 2 for $200 that you could have extended for $75.

Yes, it stinks. It beats a $150 change fee though. Bottom line for the OP, no real benefit from the sale fare. And, do not use expiring funds for flights you might want to change.

One more thing as if it matters. Within 24 hours of the original purchase, you could have put it back on the card by cancelling, taking the refund, and re-booking.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
One more thing as if it matters. Within 24 hours of the original purchase, you could have put it back on the card by cancelling, taking the refund, and re-booking.
thats good to know, thanks
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I booked a one way flight costing $200 last week from point A to point B.
I paid a portion ($60) of the fare with ticket-less travel funds (TTF) expiring Aug 2. I paid the rest ($140) of the fare with my credit card.
As others have said, you made the mistake of commingling expiring funds with new funds, after you made the mistake of letting your funds get close to expiration without using them. Avoiding these situations is a pain, but that's the price of Southwest's otherwise generous reuse policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.