Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did Southwest Airlines really have an airplane reposessed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did Southwest Airlines really have an airplane reposessed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:29 pm

The Salon article on these supposed "professionals" states that Popovich's commission for his first repossession was greater, in constant dollars, than the purchase price of the plane.

What owner would pay a commission to a repo man of greater than 100% of the value of the vehicle?

Popovich and his crew are full of something aside from learned experience with aircraft repossession.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: HHonors Gold; UA Silver in exile; nobody special with DL, AS, WN
Originally Posted by FCfree
I did this tour in 2008. Its fun, even though it is military aircraft not commerical. They take you out in a bus and drive you around. They give you some verbal history of the various aircraft. I think there were a few commerical aircraft or the military equivalent of them.
For a long time at AMARC there were a lot of JT3D-powered Boeing 707s and 720s that had been acquired to provide engines, stabilizers and other components for the KC-135E program. The stripped aircraft stayed in the AMARC inventory for a while. They've steadily been going to the scrap heap, but for a long time it was possible to see a lot of airline colors out there, including some long-gone colors and some famous airplanes (IIRC, that's where the Dodgers' 720 ended up, as did the TWA 707 used for some scenes in "Airplane!").

The nearby Pima Air and Space Museum does have a few airliner types in its inventory, including a Caravelle, a couple of Constellations, a VC-118 (DC-6) used as a Presidential transport, and a VC-137B (707-120B) used for VIP government missions. I wanted to get out there when I was in Tucson a few years back, but time ran out on us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.