Wiki Posts
Search

Great deals on SW/RR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AAL, UA, SW, HHonors, UR
Smile Great deals on SW/RR

Just wanted to tell everybody that I couldn't be more pleased with SW, RR, and the Chase RR Visa. My son and I fly around to see major league baseball games, and we usually do a short air hop in the morning, then see a game in the afternoon or night. This year, mainly thanks to the 50k bonus on the card last fall, after only 6 months of using the card, we are going SFO-DEN-MKE-BWI-BOS-JFK-PIT-MDW-MSP-SFO almost free. That's 8 games in 8 days in 8 cities (sorry, we couldn't quite reach Herman Cain's magic 9-9-9). Two people, 9 flights, and of the 18 flights, 13 of them will be free on SW, costing us a total of about 70,000 miles and $35 or so. (I lacked the 14k miles for one of the MSP-SFO tickets, and SW doesn't fly BOS-JFK-PIT.) Including the 5 flights we had to pay actual money for, total cost for the 18 flights was about $600, half of which is that dang MSP-SFO leg for one of us.

The big difference between SW and other airlines is that SW will charge you only 50 or 60 points per dollar for whatever fare you choose. Thus BWI-BOS cost me only 3490 points for each of us since we booked the advance purchase internet only fare (which would have been about $65, if I remember correctly). This, at a time when the major airlines consider 17,000 miles to be a giant bargain.

So wait until the next 50,000 mile bonus opportunity comes in, then get the card, spend a bit, and get a whole bunch of free flights for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.