Reborn! Southwest is matching Frontier status and up to 50k miles (Wisconsin only)

Subscribe
Quote: Are these points TQP and/or CPQP?
No.
This would be a great way for someone in WI who received the Delta offer and hasn't cashed in yet to double dip. Sign up for the frontier credit card if they aren't already at the max and if they are don't bother signing up for the credit card. Do the mileage match with WN and then transfer the miles to Delta.

Or if they fly MKE/DEN a lot or some other route F9 hasn't pulled then do the mileage match with DL and they will have useful miles on both airlines.
I tend to take a different view here - I think F9 has a right to be angry and cut off the loophole, and charities end up as the big losers. WN should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting a beneficial, charity-oriented program for business purposes. It's sleazy, and in my eyes, knocks WN further down the ladder towards being just another greedy corporation. They should apologize to the charities they've caused to miss out on the opportunity to transport people in need.
Quote: I tend to take a different view here - I think F9 has a right to be angry and cut off the loophole, and charities end up as the big losers. WN should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting a beneficial, charity-oriented program for business purposes. It's sleazy, and in my eyes, knocks WN further down the ladder towards being just another greedy corporation. They should apologize to the charities they've caused to miss out on the opportunity to transport people in need.
My feelings are a little mixed on this. WN is a business and I understand them trying to win over the Milwaukee passengers, especially seeing that F9 was transferring miles to Delta.

This tactic assured WN that people wouldn't have miles to use on F9 if their accounts were emptied out. However this backfired and unfortunately the biggest losers right now are the charities.

Seeing that WN is now doing the match I think it would be a good PR move on both airlines if F9 reinstated the program (a lot of the people doing the match would probably rather keep the miles than donate them) and also for WN to agree to donate a certain amount to the charities they support based on the number of miles they match.
Quote: I tend to take a different view here - I think F9 has a right to be angry and cut off the loophole, and charities end up as the big losers. WN should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting a beneficial, charity-oriented program for business purposes. It's sleazy, and in my eyes, knocks WN further down the ladder towards being just another greedy corporation. They should apologize to the charities they've caused to miss out on the opportunity to transport people in need.
How are the charities being exploited? F9 recinded the program. WN has agreed to match mileage accounts with their own point system. If one were inclined to donate to charities, they could do so with the points that WN matched so that people could get their flights. It is up to the recipient, not WN, to follow through with that.

If anything, WN is giving the charities the opportunity to reach their goal since F9 bowed out on them.
I agree in F9 cutting off the loophole. If it is going to hurt F9's core business, charity giving just isn't possible, the same way a person wouldn't donate savings to charity, if it was to harm oneself financially.

If WN wants to be giving to charities, let it do so using its own miles from its pax, rather than encourage pax to take away miles from another network.

WN transitioned FL routes like MKE-MSP to its own metal. However, when FL flew the route, it was so that LGA-MKE-MSP itineries would show up as the lowest on fare engines.

WN in its own network might not be able to make MKE support all those routes, so it is getting desperate and doesn't want to look like a complete failure at MKE. Right now WN just transitioned the routes over, but there will likely be significant pruning involved later.
Just to clarify, Southwest will be taking over most AirTran flying at MKE by November, but most of the changes have not taken effect yet.

--At this point Southwest has taken over all of MKE-DEN, but most of the AirTran east-west operation is intact.

--By last summer/early fall, the east-west operation at MKE is mixed, with Southwest taking some flights like SEA, LAX and select LGA, but AirTran retaining others like MSP, BOS and DCA.

--By early November, Southwest takes everything at MKE except AirTran retains ATL, DCA and a handful of Florida flights. Recently one of five LGA flights...originally planned to be all-Southwest...has been added back to AirTran.

So most of the transition from FL to WN at Milwaukee hasn't yet happened, but it will within the next 2-5 months. I share your concern that the east-west operation in Milwaukee faces real headwind as Southwest is planning to run it this coming winter -- including bigger planes to fill and much less connectivity. But it's far too early to know how it will pan out since most of it hasn't even kicked in yet.
Just a heads up for anyone trying to take advantage of the bonus offer, there's an easy way to get 1k Frontier miles to be matched:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/06/1000...r-milespoints/
Ha. When I try to sign up at Frontier, I get the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

EDIT: Nevermind; it finally went through. But they only gave me 500 points, not 1,000.
Quote: EDIT: Nevermind; it finally went through. But they only gave me 500 points, not 1,000.
Did you also register your account on points.com? That's how you to get 1,000 points over the standard 500.
Quote: Did you also register your account on points.com? That's how you to get 1,000 points over the standard 500.
No, but I logged back in later and have 1,000 points now. I believe the Frontier deal is 500 for signing up and another 500 for completing your profile.