Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 10, 12, 12:33 am   #1

Transferring Marriott Points

Has anyone been successful in getting points transferred from another persons Marriott to yours then converting those points to SW Points? In a nutshell my dad has a good amount of marriot points he doesn't need and I would like to have them then transfer to my RR
Jennswim77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 12, 7:09 am   #2

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't believe you can transfer points from a Marriott account to another:

Quote:
Points can only be transferred from one account to another at the time of ordering a reward in increments of 1,000 points. To do this, a point transfer form must be requested from the Marriott Rewards customer service office. Include both account numbers on the form, the number of points to be transferred and the reward to be requested. Return the form with the signature of both account holders. When you’ve completed the form, please fax it to 801-468-4033 and the points will be transferred and the reward issued.
However, that is not necessary since if your Dad had a lot of WN points, he could use them to purchase you tickets.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no direct way for your Dad to transfer his Marriott points to Southwest. There are indirect ways, but those are usually at bad transfer rates.
lougord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 12, 12:36 pm   #3

I did this with my husband. I called customer service and told them I wanted to transfer 30,000 Marriot rewards to my spouse so that he could transfer that to 10,0000 SW points, which got him to Companion Pass Status.

They mailed me the form, we signed it, and sent it in. Once they received the form it took 48 hours and then the points were in the SW account. From phone call to points received was a one week process. It would be faster if you used a fax machine.

Obviously the conversion rate is not that great, but was worth it for CP.

Not sure if this is only available to legal spouse or to any two Marriott reward members.

Good Luck!
QueenDoOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 12, 3:45 pm   #4

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
How did you make the Marriott to Southwest transfer? I have not seen that on the Marriott website.
lougord99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 12, 12:04 am   #5

When you log onto Marriott Rewards, and click on USE rewards, there is a link that says convert to airline miles towards bottom on left hand side. Hope that helps.
QueenDoOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 2:24 am   #6

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat, ClubC Gold
It is possible to transfer MR points directly to someone else's RR account as long as the recipient has the same last name. MR only requires the RR destination account #
Old Jun 24, 12, 12:55 pm   #7

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
Great question Boraxo. Who knows this answer?
Old Jun 24, 12, 3:31 pm   #8

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott/LoewsFirst/PC Plat; Hilton Diamond;SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
It is possible to transfer MR points directly to someone else's RR account as long as the recipient has the same last name. MR only requires the RR destination account #
While Marriott's T&Cs state that points can only be transfered between spouse accounts, in practice (and this has been confirmed by Marriott Concierge)one can combine points from any other account.

So with that, it should be possible to transfer the points from your account to anyone's you choose and then they can initiate the Marriott to Southwest transfer.
Old Jun 24, 12, 11:47 pm   #9

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, PC Plat, ClubC Gold
It wasn't a question - it can be done.
Old Jun 26, 12, 2:16 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
It wasn't a question - it can be done.
I second this as I transferred points from my wife's Marriott account to my RR account.
fstop75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 12, 5:40 pm   #11

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
While Marriott's T&Cs state that points can only be transfered between spouse accounts, in practice (and this has been confirmed by Marriott Concierge)one can combine points from any other account.
How?
vmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 12, 5:54 pm   #12

Programs: Air: WN A-List & CP, UA *S; Hotels - Gold: CP, CC, HH, & SPG; Hotels - Plat: Marriott; TR Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmsea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
How?
Thread: Point transfer - Most ridiculus procedure ever
FindAWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 13, 10:15 am   #13

Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Is it mandatory that the award must be booked already before the transfer occurs? Or can you just say that you are planning an award booking, but waiting for the points to transfer first?
SkyTeam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 13, 4:36 pm   #14

Programs: Air: WN A-List & CP, UA *S; Hotels - Gold: CP, CC, HH, & SPG; Hotels - Plat: Marriott; TR Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Is it mandatory that the award must be booked already before the transfer occurs?
Yes - for a Marriott points transfer between Marriott accounts, an award must be booked either prior to or simultaneously with the points transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Or can you just say that you are planning an award booking, but waiting for the points to transfer first?
No. But, you can do a points booking and then cancel it and all of the points will be in the transferee's account. Also, you can redeem for a travel package without a specific reservation - you get a sort-of e-certificate. The transferor can also transfer (in 1,000 point increments) up to the total number points needed for the redemption.

For Marriott-->WN Rapid Rewards, no booking is needed.

Last edited by FindAWay; Jan 19, 13 at 4:42 pm.
FindAWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 14, 12:57 pm   #15

Just to update the thread: I was able to xfer between spouses to then xfer to southwest without any problem.
crazypalooza is offline   Reply With Quote