Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Computer as a carry on.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Computer as a carry on.

I need to carry on a computer that is 16x18x8. Which fits in the carry on size. But just barely. Is there any issue with me just literally carrying it on to the plane?
Old May 31, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Southwest GA's generally do not enforce carry-on rules regarding size. If it fits in the overhead, you will generally be OK. The problem may be if you are on a 300. Will it fit in the overhead?
Old May 31, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And make sure it's securely packed with protective covering, preferably a solid case. WN is Kettle-heavy and people ram their possessions into OHs. Don't expect kid glove treatment.

FEDEX is your friend here.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

FedEx is more expensive than an additional plane ticket. 3 day shipping = Not a win.
Ill wrap it in a blanket and carry it on.

Edit - FedEx is possibly my Friend, UPS, that quoted me earlier today, is my mortal enemy.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; May 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 8:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have carried boxes of that size including a couple of times a PC chassis with a rope handle. You should be fine if you have B20 or better BP.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You might want to look at one of these.

Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
FedEx is more expensive than an additional plane ticket. 3 day shipping = Not a win.
Ill wrap it in a blanket and carry it on.

Edit - FedEx is possibly my Friend, UPS, that quoted me earlier today, is my mortal enemy.
If you get a Fed Ex account, which is immediate and free with a credit card, the rate will be cheaper than if you don't get an account.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
If you get a Fed Ex account, which is immediate and free with a credit card, the rate will be cheaper than if you don't get an account.
Most people equate FedEx with their express services. FedEx Ground is quite reasonable. I used it a lot when I was an eBay power seller.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
+1 on setting up a fed ex acct. And I realize this is the WN forum not the Delta forum, but if you have a skypesos account I would use the link to set up the account (southwest isn't a fed ex partner or I would not be making this suggestion):

www.fedex.com/delta

You get delta miles for every $ you spend and a 500 or 1000 miles for a sign up bonus. If you don't use Delta see if another travel provider you use partners with Fed Ex.

If it were me I would just carry it on and pay the $10 for EBCI so I wouldn't risk not having bin space. You will have it in your possession and not have to worry about fed ex losing it if you require the computer.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
And if you pay with an Amex OPEN card, you get 5% cash back on the statement where the charge appears. Don't have to do anything.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Thx Inky Nails Dude. I got something similar at Office Staples Max today. Ill take a picture when I have the thing on the plane for y'all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.