Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old May 31, 12, 10:39 pm   #1

Programs: WN A+ w/CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Does WN Recycle Business Select Boarding Positions?

I had to change my flights late in the process for this week's work. I called on Wednesday evening to change my WGA early Thursday flight to last flight of the day. I went ahead and changed to Business Select for the points.

Since I am CP COS, I check in at the airport about an hour before the flight. I get A-1 boarding pass. Huh, I thought, just one BS for MCI-BNA on the last flight of the day? Well, it was Thursday.

When we board, I preboard because of the COS, the BS line was packed. Did I get seeded in a BS cancellation slot? There is no way all of those folks bought tickets after I did nor did they check in after me.

So, it looks like BS line positions are recycled just like the serendipitous early boarding among the A-list passengers.

Overtime: Saw my first newsperson with "large camera equipment" preboard on Monday. He had a very large tripod. Tripod went in the overhead behind his camera bags.

Last edited by curbcrusher; May 31, 12 at 11:06 pm. Reason: fixed typo
InkUnderNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 11:13 pm   #2

They definitely get recycled...I've been with associates twice who have received last-minute A1-15 BPs with WGA fares.
smmrfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 11:47 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
They definitely get recycled...I've been with associates twice who have received last-minute A1-15 BPs with WGA fares.
That shouldn't happen. Low A's, yes...but always above 15 with WGA.
ursine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 12, 12:44 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
That shouldn't happen. Low A's, yes...but always above 15 with WGA.
This has been discussed in other threads. Shouldn't happen, but does. Yet another sterling example of WN IT prowess.
smmrfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 12, 10:16 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
This has been discussed in other threads. Shouldn't happen, but does. Yet another sterling example of WN IT prowess.
I've never see it mentioned before. Maybe I've missed it... can you reference a thread?
Old Jun 1, 12, 11:26 am   #6

It seems wrong that the numbers are recycled at all -- I understand the use of them as a count of passengers on a plane, and see how it could be an issue if 50 people cancelled and others booked in resulting in more than C60+, but those issues should be addressed directly instead.

We'd never accept waiting in a long line somewhere, having someone near the front give up and leave the line, and the next random person to arrive just cut in at that position instead of at the end. Not sure why WN boarding should be different (except that people don't realize that A17 really just checked in 45 minutes ago).
jmastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 12, 10:04 pm   #7

Location: Back to the Buffalo. At least I'm close to Toronto.
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
This is why EBCI is not as valuable as many people think. You can pay $10 and still be behind a last minute check-in person.
Old Jun 2, 12, 2:26 am   #8

It's been mentioned in several threads here that it's possible to check in late and receive a "recycled" low-number boarding position, but I can't recall anyone ever before reporting receiving a recycled BS boarding position (A-15 or less) <edit> when traveling under a WGA fare.

This makes sense somewhat; I can understand re-allocating low A positions, since that would make it easier for the GA to (try to, at least) enforce boarding order without lots of gaps, I suppose. But BS positions should only ever be allocated to BS customers; and as reported here, that's not even the case in some last-minute situations.

Ideally, WN shouldn't recycle any positions *except* BS -- instead of re-opening a low A spot after a cancellation, the system should simply add an additional spot to the C group. This would mean there could possibly be C numbers higher than C23, but I think that's better than putting random people ahead of those who purchased EBCI. I suspect WN's system's aren't sophisticated enough for this, or the programmers simply didn't plan for such situations.

Last edited by ursine1; Jun 2, 12 at 7:11 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Jun 2, 12, 7:33 am   #9

Quote:
It's been mentioned in several threads here that it's possible to check in late and receive a "recycled" low-number boarding position, but I can't recall anyone ever before reporting receiving a recycled BS boarding position (A-15 or less).

This makes sense somewhat; I can understand re-allocating low A positions, since that would make it easier for the GA to (try to, at least) enforce boarding order without lots of gaps, I suppose. But BS positions should only ever be allocated to BS customers; and as reported here, that's not even the case in some last-minute situations.

Ideally, WN shouldn't recycle any positions *except* BS -- instead of re-opening a low A spot after a cancellation, the system should simply add an additional spot to the C group. This would mean there could possibly be C numbers higher than C23, but I think that's better than putting random people ahead of those who purchased EBCI. I suspect WN's system's aren't sophisticated enough for this, or the programmers simply didn't plan for such situations.
I may not have been clear, but I did buy Business Select on the last minute change, which may explain the recycle. If A-1 and canceled, and I got his BS slot for a sold out BS, they had to issue A-1 to me. They could not issue A-15a. Like I said, the BS line was packed. I may have gotten the only BS slot.

Interesting side note: As a COS I preboard, so the A-1 position is kind of funny. I have to preboard to clear their boarding screen properly as XS seats must be cleared before general boarding or the FA has to hold an XS for a connection or late arrival. If it were not for this, I could "swap" my BS or A+ boarding position with a high C or B. Oh, I would not sell it, but tips are appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 12, 5:19 pm   #10

No, you were perfectly clear. I was trying to address the other posts referencing receiving a "recycled" 1-15 number on a WGA fare, which to the best of my knowledge, hasn't actually been reported before.
Old Jun 2, 12, 7:34 pm   #11

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Quote:
No, you were perfectly clear. I was trying to address the other posts referencing receiving a "recycled" 1-15 number on a WGA fare, which to the best of my knowledge, hasn't actually been reported before.
Then I'll report it. I booked a flight about 2 months ahead of time and paid the Early Bird fee because I'd be away from an internet connection at the 24-hour window. When I printed my BP I was A42. Whaaat?? Once I was in line, I checked with the person directly across from me (A13) to see if they were AL, BS, or EB - but no, they had purchased a WGA ticket and checked in about half an hour earlier...and the person behind him (A14) - same thing. No more EB for me.
AJSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 12, 7:50 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSpark View Post
Then I'll report it. I booked a flight about 2 months ahead of time and paid the Early Bird fee because I'd be away from an internet connection at the 24-hour window. When I printed my BP I was A42. Whaaat?? Once I was in line, I checked with the person directly across from me (A13) to see if they were AL, BS, or EB - but no, they had purchased a WGA ticket and checked in about half an hour earlier...and the person behind him (A14) - same thing. No more EB for me.
I received B20 once after purchasing EBCI. Even without issues like recycled low-A boarding positions, as more people purchase EBCI, it becomes less valuable, eventually reaching the point of worthlessness. I only buy it now when I know that I'll be unable to check in right at t-24.

I somewhat understand the system reallocating cancelled low-A positions -- although I think it's a bad idea -- but I absolutely do not understanding giving out BS positions to anyone who hasn't purchased a BS fare.
Old Jun 2, 12, 7:50 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSpark View Post
If it was a flight with a lot of through passengers, it may have been closed to Business Select sales.