FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Is wine allowed to be in checked baggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1350344-wine-allowed-checked-baggage.html)

sanFF May 27, 2012 7:14 am

Is wine allowed to be in checked baggage?

Unopened bottles of wine? And since I am going out of state how many
are allowed? My friend left six bottles of wine at my house and I wanted to
bring them but not sure of the rules.

robbert May 27, 2012 7:21 am

It's all under Luggage:

Alcoholic Beverages

Southwest allows alcohol to be carried in checked luggage under the following conditions.
Alcohol (wine and liquor) must be in the original unopened container with the manufacturer's label when transported in or as checked baggage.
The maximum quantity of liquor that may be transported in or as checked baggage on Southwest Airlines is five liters per Customer. Wine is not subject to the five-liter per Customer limitation.
Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof).
Alcohol (wine and liquor) in checked baggage must be securely packaged in a leak-proof bag with adequate professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
Alcohol (wine and liquor) accepted as checked baggage must be contained within a corrugated box secured with sealing tape. The contents must be packaged in a leak-proof bag with professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
Liquor and wine packaging is available for sale at Southwest Airlines ticket counters for $5.00 per unit.
Southwest Airlines does not accept liability for breakage of liquids or fragile items in checked luggage even if transported in special packaging purchased from Southwest Airlines.
Packaging purchased at Southwest Airlines ticket counters is intended for liquor or wine placed inside checked baggage only.
Professional packaging by alcohol and wine suppliers (e.g., cruise lines, wineries, duty-free shops) is acceptable as long as the contents have adequate cushioning and the packaging prevents leakage.
All alcohol (wine and liquor) is subject to TSA screening.

InkUnderNails May 27, 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by robbert (Post 18649104)
It's all under Luggage:

Alcoholic Beverages

Southwest allows alcohol to be carried in checked luggage under the following conditions.
Alcohol (wine and liquor) must be in the original unopened container with the manufacturer's label when transported in or as checked baggage.
The maximum quantity of liquor that may be transported in or as checked baggage on Southwest Airlines is five liters per Customer. Wine is not subject to the five-liter per Customer limitation.
Alcohol content may not exceed 70% by volume (140 proof).
Alcohol (wine and liquor) in checked baggage must be securely packaged in a leak-proof bag with adequate professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
Alcohol (wine and liquor) accepted as checked baggage must be contained within a corrugated box secured with sealing tape. The contents must be packaged in a leak-proof bag with professional packaging designed to fit the proportions of the bottle to prevent breakage.
Liquor and wine packaging is available for sale at Southwest Airlines ticket counters for $5.00 per unit.

Southwest Airlines does not accept liability for breakage of liquids or fragile items in checked luggage even if transported in special packaging purchased from Southwest Airlines.
Packaging purchased at Southwest Airlines ticket counters is intended for liquor or wine placed inside checked baggage only.
Professional packaging by alcohol and wine suppliers (e.g., cruise lines, wineries, duty-free shops) is acceptable as long as the contents have adequate cushioning and the packaging prevents leakage.
All alcohol (wine and liquor) is subject to TSA screening.

Hugely good advice!

In addition, see my bold above. $5 a bottle is cheap insurance. I would even suggest going to your local Spirits Store and having them professionally pack it. A UPS Store or FedEx can do the same. Explain to both that it is for checked luggage and not to be shipped. (Shipping alcohol to some states is illegal and the checked baggage route is the best.

Once packed, and double boxed, put it inside a large suitcase surrounded by soft clothes and check it as its own bag. Include a small roll of shipping tape so that if the TSA opens it they might out of the goodness of their heart reseal it. You have the option of asking the TSA to screen it in your presence and resealing it before it enters the luggage stream.

If it is very valuable, borrow or rent a Pelican or similar case.

If it is cheap wine, drink it yourself and buy more at your destination.

sanFF May 28, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks everyone

Now to find out what is a "secured container" in their deffinition. I will go to
BevMo and see what they have then to FedEx. :)

ckohlun May 28, 2012 8:40 am

My wife and I bought one of these last year...well worth it after our three napa trips.

http://www.thewinecheck.com/

dfwbob May 28, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm sure the TSA appreciates any alcoholic, electronic or cash donations you would care to make available to them in your checked luggage

rljan May 29, 2012 8:08 am

We frequently put wine bottles in our check luggage, when we are leaving on a cruise. We put the bottles in a product called "Wine Diapers". Wine diapers are are sold on Amazon.com and other online stores. They are bags that are lined with diaper material so if the bottle breaks the wine is absorbed, thus protecting your clothes.

capebuffalo May 29, 2012 10:16 am

i have frequently wrapped 4 - 6 bottles of wine in my clothes and cushioned it well in my checked luggage with no issues. of course, a leak-proof sleeve is still recommended if available!

toomanybooks May 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Large ziploc-type bags highly recommended for this. You can get them from a supply place like www.uline.com.

Ziploc used to sell huge zip bags with handles (called "ziploc big bags"). I think they are discontinued, but you can find them on ebay for a few dollars. They are about 2 x 3 feet. Very useful for all kinds of purposes.

Also look at suppliers such as: http://www.spiritedshipper.com for the immediate padding. I used these to bring 35 bottles of beer back from Belgium last month in my regular luggage and they worked great; they can be adjusted to different sizes of bottles:

http://www.spiritedshipper.com/inserts.html

tradercj May 29, 2012 7:26 pm

When going on a cruise, I have used Rum Runners before without any problems. I wrapped them in a diaper then in a ziploc bag just in cause they leak.

pattermj May 30, 2012 10:37 am

I have used both the spirited shipper and the u-haul insert based boxes. I got both styles from previous beer orders but I am at the point of needing to order a new set by itself. I have never had a problem with either but I have used the U haul ones the most but they are 5 dollars more expensive per box.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...g-Kits?mid=169

but with the uhaul boxes you get free shipping on a min of 2 while the shipping cost on the others are pretty high.