MSP: Terminal 2 -> Terminal 1?

Subscribe
Hi all,

I'm flying WN tomorrow, arriving at MSP (T2) early morning. I have to meet up with a few friends flying Frontier (T1) early in the afternoon. Is it possible to get from T2 to T1 and to be able to stay in the gate area (i.e. don't need to go through security)?

As a side note, I have a United Club pass which I believe I can only use if I'm in T1 and would be happy to be able to wait for them in the lounge there.

Thanks!
There is a lightrail that will take you between terminal 1 and terminal 2. Pretty sure it's free if you're just going between the airport terminals.

You will have to go out of security though, so you will need to have a boarding pass to get back through security once you're in Terminal 1. There isnt anyway to go between the terminals without exiting security and there isn't any lounges in terminal 2.

Good luck!
If you don't have a boarding pass to get into the lounge and are looking to kill some time, then you could take the lightrail to the Mall of America, or the opposite direction to do downtown Minnneapols (last stop is the recently new Target Field).

Would take only 10 minutes to get to Mall of America, probably 30-40 to get to Target Field.

Light rail link: http://www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx
You must leave the sterile area to change terminals. There is light rail between the terminals.

Will you be renting a car? If you have a checked bag you will need to stow it somewhere. Tell the rental car people of your plans so they will know that the car will stay there a while. If no car you may need to ask the WN baggage people to hold it in the baggage office next to the bag carousel.

Once you are free of any checked luggage (or any extra stuff if renting a car) you can go to the United ticketing in T1 and ask for a gate pass saying you want to meet friends in the lounge. It may or may not be a problem. You might want to call ahead first.

If you are renting a car, you might want to make your reservation for T1 so you will be close to your car after your meeting.
Thanks for the responses. I don't have any check-in luggage and my friends have the rental car covered. I should add that I'm looking for a place that offers wifi (free or otherwise) so I can just wait and do some work.

I like the idea of asking for a gate pass to get into T1, but if that doesn't work, do you think I can get a UA ticket that I can use to check in to T1, use the UC, then cancel the ticket w/in the 24-hr cancel window?
While that is against TSA rules, and I believe could have some legal ramifications if discovered, it certainly can be done. Also be aware that the TSA agents do check the time of your flight and will not allow you through a long time in advance of your flight.
Quote: Thanks for the responses. I don't have any check-in luggage and my friends have the rental car covered. I should add that I'm looking for a place that offers wifi (free or otherwise) so I can just wait and do some work.

I like the idea of asking for a gate pass to get into T1, but if that doesn't work, do you think I can get a UA ticket that I can use to check in to T1, use the UC, then cancel the ticket w/in the 24-hr cancel window?
Or, you can buy a refundable fare. I do not fly UA so I am not sure about canceling a ticket after checking in for the flight.
Kept it safe, just stayed in T2, purchased Boingo, and sat in one of the cubes in H6. It's actually not a bad idea.