Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Jerry, Your Trip is Just Around the Corner"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Jerry, Your Trip is Just Around the Corner"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I find the emails' informality unfortunate. Southwest is a business from which I'm buying a service--and one striving to make itself more appealing to business travelers. If they're going to send emails, perhaps they could address them to "Mr. Hayden."

The above is pretty inconsequential--but, out of these small things...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I contacted Southwest about this and here's what they said

I did a Contact Us email recently about this very subject, and today they responded. The subject-specific paragraph was:
we regret that you are disappointed with the time frame that your "Upcoming Trip" e-mail was sent. We acknowledge that southwest.com and its amenities may not meet all of the needs and wants of each person who visits it, and we are truly sorry that this was the case with you. Please know that we have tracked the main points of your e-mail via our monthly summary, which is distributed to our Senior Leadership.
I cannot figure out this response at all. First, they seem to imply that I have an issue with getting an email a month in advance, and other people don't. No, my issue is with getting an email telling me my "trip is around the corner" a month in advance; does anyone else actually like that???

Now, does the last sentence (about some monthly summary) mean that they are going to look into it after all, or what???

This response about my complaint about these emails did not leave me with any better impression of Southwest than these emails themselves, I'm sorry!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Booked a flight on Wednesday for June 27 - just got another one of those "just around the corner" emails two days after the regular confirmation and nearly 4 weeks before the flight.

Please, WN - stop sending these - they are useless and truly annoying.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:35 pm

Aren't these e-mails just meant to sell EBCI? Obviously, they could program around sending them to A-List or A+ people, but that would take too much time. Just blast out as many e-mails as you can and keep reminding people that they can spend the $10.

I have to admit, sometimes I get one of these and, for just a second, worry if I've forgotten that I have a trip coming up, only to open it and realize it's still 3 weeks away.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Booked a flight on Wednesday for June 27 - just got another one of those "just around the corner" emails two days after the regular confirmation and nearly 4 weeks before the flight.

Please, WN - stop sending these - they are useless and truly annoying.
If Southwest replaced "Just around the corner" with "Only one month away" that would help a lot. Giving us the ability to opt out (by RR number) would be welcome too.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by zachary
Aren't these e-mails just meant to sell EBCI? Obviously, they could program around sending them to A-List or A+ people, but that would take too much time. Just blast out as many e-mails as you can and keep reminding people that they can spend the $10.
I always opt for EBCI when I purchase the ticket and still get the annoying emails. The crowning glory was when I got one of those "just around the corner emails" for my return leg three days before getting one for my outbound leg.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You apparently never buy EBCI, so you haven't realized that not only do the month-in-advance emails that you get a day after you booked and bought EBCI still pitch you to buy EBCI (even though can't buy it twice for the same flight, no matter how much you wish to part with an extra $10!), but also when you get the second one, weeks after you bought the EBCI, it still asks you to add EBCI. What idiots! Can't the program that sends out the email check to see whether it's an EBCI reservation already? (It shows that online with a little EB logo!)

So they're double idiots. Idiiots for thinking that a month is "just around the corner", and idiots for not checking to see if I've already bought EBCI before asking me to buy it (for that same flight).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:03 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by nsx
Giving us the ability to opt out (by RR number) would be welcome too.
Sure would be, but that wouldn't fit with SWA's customer-hostile attitude regarding all things digital. Once we accept that reality we can turn to realistic solutions such as:

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It took me about two minutes to create a Gmail filter that automatically archives those emails.
I recently went down that path as well. Unfortunately a nasty virus in the form of SWA-trained programmers and UI designers seems to have infected Google, so I wasted something like 10 minutes (OK, exaggeration) just trying to figure out how to start a process I used to be able to start in my sleep.

Then there is also the fact that several times in the past 18 months SWA has broken my filters that automagically label all reservation and cancellation Emails. How long before SWA breaks our filters that trash the "just around the corner" Emails? The more we complain, then give up and resort to adding filters, the sooner they break those filters, I suppose.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: PC, WN, AA
Aren't these e-mails just meant to sell EBCI?
EBCI, or hotels, or rental cars, or anything else you can get via southwest.com. WN does get a cut if I book a rental car through them, right? I always assumed so.

Add me to the list of people who find these annoying.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radioinsomnia
EBCI, or hotels, or rental cars, or anything else you can get via southwest.com. WN does get a cut if I book a rental car through them, right? I always assumed so.

Add me to the list of people who find these annoying.
Oh, I forgot that they're trying to sell all that partner junk. It just goes in one eye and out the other. I always book hotels (at least the ones they partner with) directly with the hotel sites, and the car rentals directly with the car rental company. They'd have better luck trying to sell me stuff from the SkyMall catalog than trying to get me to buy hotels or car rentals through them!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
No, I bought EBCI six weeks ago for my 6/29 trip and I've received two "your trip is just around the corner" emails since then.

It's mainly hotels and rental cars where WN gets a small cut of the revenue booked thru southwest.com.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just noticed that my companion is now shown on this email even though they have a different confirmation number. I see it changed sometime in February but did not see it mentioned anywhere. It does help a little if I need to quickly pull up both confirmation numbers.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ronbo83
Just noticed that my companion is now shown on this email even though they have a different confirmation number. I see it changed sometime in February but did not see it mentioned anywhere. It does help a little if I need to quickly pull up both confirmation numbers.
Interesting....had not noticed that (and usually delete these annoying things w/o opening). Thanks for the update!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
These emails often cause momentary confusion for me. I book almost all of my trips as one-way flights. I'll often get a "Just around the corner" reminder not for my next flight, nor the one after it, but the third flight in the future. The date and destination information cause me to do a double-take and check that I booked everything correctly.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
These emails often cause momentary confusion for me. I book almost all of my trips as one-way flights. I'll often get a "Just around the corner" reminder not for my next flight, nor the one after it, but the third flight in the future. The date and destination information cause me to do a double-take and check that I booked everything correctly.
EXACTLY! When I have multiple trips booked, sometimes I'll have a momentary panic as I wonder if I had mis-booked a trip, forgotten a trip, or worse when the "reminder" email shows up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.