Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Marriott Travel Package Points Count as CPQP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Question Do Marriott Travel Package Points Count as CPQP?

I found this thread from a few months ago about the companion pass, which included a few mentions of Marriott Travel package points. However, these looked like 3rd party reports. Has anyone actually done this and found first hand that they do or do not count as CPQP?

I've already got CP through 12/12, but I'm considering biting the bullet and doing a Marriott TP soon to ensure I have it through 12/13 - IF they're CPQP. I'm a little concerned that if they are CPQP that Marriott and/or Southwest might change the program one of these days, and waiting might come back to haunt me. [NOTE: I have absolutely NO information about this - just wondering]

Even if they aren't CPQP, the TP is a pretty darn good deal. For example, 300K Marriott points for a 7-night, cat 6 stay, with 120K Southwest points thrown in.

Last edited by illinidad; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reason: Correct # of Marriott points for the example package
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
To my knowledge, no one has reported here either way. If you find out, please let us know.

All hotel/ CC program transfers thus far seem to have been CPQPs, with the huge exception of Chase Ultimate Rewards. Would appreciate info to the contrary.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: LTP, PP
And if they count as Tier Points as well ? Might be beneficial to get A List / A List +. Love the security fly by...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
As of last April, they count as CPQP, but not TQP.

This is from first hand experience.

There is an older thread somewhere in this forum or Marriott forum that discusses this with several other confirmations, but I can't search for it at the moment. Maybe someone else can link it?

If I were a bettor, I would bet this changes sometime in the future to only be bonus points and not CPQP...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
And if they count as Tier Points as well ? Might be beneficial to get A List / A List +. Love the security fly by...
No way they ever make these TQPs.

Originally Posted by indyscott
As of last April, they count as CPQP, but not TQP.

If I were a bettor, I would bet this changes sometime in the future to only be bonus points and not CPQP...
That is my belief as well. Almost certainly they will move toward this. Chase UR is the opening shot.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:37 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
The answer is YES that Marriott transfers do count toward Companion Pass Qualification based on the following thread on the Marriott Rewards forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ar-2012-a.html
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by aap
The answer is YES that Marriott transfers do count toward Companion Pass Qualification based on the following thread on the Marriott Rewards forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ar-2012-a.html
Thanks very much for posting this. Very, very glad to see this. Now the question is when/if to pull the trigger, since I already have the CP through 12/12. Debating whether to wait a while and take a chance that the program is changed.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Marriott TP are CPQP but NOT TQP

A couple of previous posters have answered but I just thought I'd report my own experience.

I decided not to wait and redeemed a travel package last week, and these transfers DO COUNT towards a Companion Pass. They DO NOT COUNT towards A-List nor A-List Preferred, but that's not a surprise. Points posted to my RR account in two days.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Not surprising; but, I thought I'd add a 2013 confirmation - my Marriott Travel Package redemption points transferred to WN were CPQPs (Jan. 2013).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Not surprising; but, I thought I'd add a 2013 confirmation - my Marriott Travel Package redemption points transferred to WN were CPQPs (Jan. 2013).
FindAWay-thank you for the recent confirmation-how long did it take for WN points to post to your account once you redeemed the Marriott Travel Package?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, A3* Gold, WN A+ CP, Marriott Plat Prem (LTP), Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz PC
Second confirmation here for Jan 2013.

They told me WN points posted within 48 hours but it was more like 12 hours for me.

Still waiting for my Companion Pass Status to become "Active" though.. it's been 6 days now..
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Larabar
They told me WN points posted within 48 hours but it was more like 12 hours for me.

Still waiting for my Companion Pass Status to become "Active" though.. it's been 6 days now..
Yep - mine posted in less than 24 hours too.

My CP status also has not yet become active automatically (only 4 days for me though).
Old May 11, 2013, 6:13 am

Marriott Hotel + Air Package - Can I get CP With The Points Transfer

Hello FlyerTalk Brothers & Sisters,
I just stumbled across something I saw on the Marriott web page indicating I can turn in 270,000 MR points, if I am reading it correctly, for 7 nights and 120,000 points for Southwest. If this is correct, do these transferred points to SW count towards CP? If it does, than why would anyone ever transfer just the point (280,000 MR points) to SW (110000 WN Points) get CP when they could get a 7 night + 120,000 WN points for the same amount? You feedback would be appreciated. The link for the Hotel & Air Package is below.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old May 11, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ryoung08
Hello FlyerTalk Brothers & Sisters,
I just stumbled across something I saw on the Marriott web page indicating I can turn in 270,000 MR points, if I am reading it correctly, for 7 nights and 120,000 points for Southwest. If this is correct, do these transferred points to SW count towards CP? If it does, than why would anyone ever transfer just the point (280,000 MR points) to SW (110000 WN Points) get CP when they could get a 7 night + 120,000 WN points for the same amount? You feedback would be appreciated. The link for the Hotel & Air Package is below.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Search "Marriott Travel Package." See, for example:

Companion pass via Marriott

Short Answer: Yes.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
If you plan on doing this, and traveling before late April 2014, you might want to consider booking the hotel room with Marriott on or before 5/15/13. On 5/16, many of the hotels will have their category changed, leading to a devaluation of existing points. You don't have to actually have to have the points deducted from your account. Just tell the Marriott Resevations Agent that the e-certificate will be attached to the reservation a few weeks prior to arrival. By doing it this way, you can control when the travel package is ordered and when you want the Marriott Rewards points transfered to Southwest. (perhaps in Early January 2014).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.