Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if my ticketless funds have expired?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by ursine1
You could combine all the funds into a single new reservation, then cancel that booking. The new confirmation number will take on the earliest expiration, and can be converted to a voucher for a single $100 fee.
Ugh, wish I had seen this before today. Had 16 confirmation numbers' travel funds that expired yesterday, for eight passengers. If I had combined the 2 confirmation numbers per passenger into one, I would have saved $350 total. Now currently getting $1800 from $2950 in travel funds from a large group that had to cancel their trip last year, and is unable to travel within the 365 days of purchase (live outside the country). They, or someone else, will utilize the new LUV vouchers within the new six month allotment.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

First time poster, riddle me this:

We have funds for just my husband. We were supposed to travel for a family vacation, but my dad had open heart surgery instead and my husband stayed home. The funds expire 8/29, and we wanted to travel in early October. I called and was told we could get the extension for 6 months (curious no mention of the $100 fee), but only after the funds expire on 8/29, as noted in this thread.

Needless to say, that's cutting it close if we want to try and book the end of August for an early October trip. Is it possible to book now and apply the voucher in August after the original funds expire? Has anyone tried this?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DrLoretta
First time poster, riddle me this:

We have funds for just my husband. We were supposed to travel for a family vacation, but my dad had open heart surgery instead and my husband stayed home. The funds expire 8/29, and we wanted to travel in early October. I called and was told we could get the extension for 6 months (curious no mention of the $100 fee), but only after the funds expire on 8/29, as noted in this thread.

Needless to say, that's cutting it close if we want to try and book the end of August for an early October trip. Is it possible to book now and apply the voucher in August after the original funds expire? Has anyone tried this?
No and doubtful. More than likely they'll charge you the then going rate even if they agree to the swap and assuming you preliminary booked with WGA, those funds will remain tied and nonrefundable.

Good news is that the extension should be immediately usable and you'll still be 5+ weeks out, fall can be a slower travel time so you might luck out with decent fares. I wouldn't consider that "cutting it close"...

Or book it now and attempt to "sell" the funds to someone who can use them, they won't be tied to anyone in exchange for that $100 fee.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
deleted
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by joshua362

Good news is that the extension should be immediately usable and you'll still be 5+ weeks out, fall can be a slower travel time so you might luck out with decent fares. I wouldn't consider that "cutting it close"...

Or book it now and attempt to "sell" the funds to someone who can use them, they won't be tied to anyone in exchange for that $100 fee.
More like 4 weeks out, I'd love to just lock the fares down now. My husband gets nervous enough flying, I'm picturing him freaking out about air fare, LOL

Good point about selling it. That occurred to me last night and may be the way to go.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:16 am

Any indication of this $100 extend for 6 months offer changing anytime soon?

Thanks FT!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:58 pm

Let's say you book a Southwest flight on January 11 for a cost of $150 and then cancel it. You have unused $150 travel funds that can be applied for travel no later than January 10 of the following year. (Always check the expiration date on the SWA website.)

In March you book a flight for $170 and apply your unused $150. You complete the travel, so you now have a balance of $20.

Then on November 20 you book a December flight costing $400. You apply the unused $20 and pay the remaining $380. But then you cancel. You know that you will lose the $20 if you don't apply it and fly by January 10, and you accept that. But you may not realize that you will also lose the $380. Why? Because when funds from two or more confirmation numbers are used for a flight, the expiration date is always the earliest.

It is possible, however, for you to recoup $280 of your loss, according to 2013 postings. After January 10, go on the SWA website and apply for an six-month extension. It will cost you $100.

We were unaware of the SWA guidelines regarding expiration dates, so we are facing a loss of some $180 after applying the $100 extension fee. This posting is to help you to be strategic in your travel planning. Safe travels!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KrisKrause
Let's say you book a Southwest flight on January 11 for a cost of $150 and then cancel it. You have unused $150 travel funds that can be applied for travel no later than January 10 of the following year. (Always check the expiration date on the SWA website.)

In March you book a flight for $170 and apply your unused $150. You complete the travel, so you now have a balance of $20.

Then on November 20 you book a December flight costing $400. You apply the unused $20 and pay the remaining $380. But then you cancel. You know that you will lose the $20 if you don't apply it and fly by January 10, and you accept that. But you may not realize that you will also lose the $380. Why? Because when funds from two or more confirmation numbers are used for a flight, the expiration date is always the earliest.

It is possible, however, for you to recoup $280 of your loss, according to 2013 postings. After January 10, go on the SWA website and apply for an six-month extension. It will cost you $100.

We were unaware of the SWA guidelines regarding expiration dates, so we are facing a loss of some $180 after applying the $100 extension fee. This posting is to help you to be strategic in your travel planning. Safe travels!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Yes, this aspect of combining funds has been well-covered here, for many years. We call it "tainting."
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:46 pm

I wonded if this particular discontinuity will be addressed with the new IT system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.