Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alggag
Southwest has added one row of seats to virtually all its aircraft, increasing the seat count from 137 to 143. The pitch is tighter, the seats are thinner and lower, and passengers taller than 6 feet are finding it uncomfortable.

Only a few older 737-300's and 500's have not been refitted. The 737-800's, were originally equipped with the thinner seats but at a larger pitch which most customers find sufficiently comfortable.

In this thread we discuss the wisdom of this decision, discuss whether it makes sense to switch carriers, commiserate, and celebrate our occasional successes in obtaining the suddenly much rarer seats with extra legroom.
Print Wikipost

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
"Evolve" has got to be the stupidest name.
I disagree - it's a very accurate name. WN is evolving into a legacy right before our eyes. Well, maybe "Devolve" would be better.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Scheduling/Load management will be working overtime for the next several years over this.

We'll have 737-700's, 137, or 143 seats
737-500's with 122 seats
737-800's with 175 seats
and 717's with 117 seats

Hilarity will ensue with maintenance/equipment swaps when going from a larger to smaller fleet.

if 31" pitch is better than 32", and 2" recline is better than 3", then shouldn't it become 30" pitch, 1" recline, and 149 seats? Then fill in the love-seat, and you hit the magic 150 number. Exceeding that requires a 4th flight attendant.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
They kept the LUV Seat+ the infinite legroom first clas seat. The transformation video showed it on the right hand side when entering the plane.
It's now on the other side of the plane. The current 73Gs have it on the starboard side. This one is on the port side now. Wonder what the exit row legroom is like now?

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I disagree - it's a very accurate name. WN is evolving into a legacy right before our eyes. Well, maybe "Devolve" would be better.
Touché. I'll remain open minded about this new interior until I try it. The bins don't look any different though, despite what the article said...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Aah. The real reason for the refit. 32" pitch to 31" pitch. 137 seats to 143.
The thinner seats allowing an extra row mean that?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The thinner seats allowing an extra row mean that?
Wow...who knew that Yoda flew WN?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Wonder what the exit row legroom is like now?
The current config is 22 rows of seats (23 including the front/bulkhead row).
Take away an inch of pitch from each to get 22 towards an extra row.

Since you need an extra 31" to add in a new row, that means 9 inches combined are being cut from the exit row seating and front row (bulkhead)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
Love how they position less recline as a great benefit.
I'd be perfectly happy if seats in domestic coach (and even domestic first class) didn't recline, so needless to say I do find limited recline to be a benefit.
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I am simply amazed at how much goodwill and customer loyalty this airline has squandered. Would be an interesting, if sad, case study.
Yet they're carrying more passengers than ever ...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Aircraft n935wn with the new interior entering service on jan 25 will still be limited to 137 seats until the IT folks can do their thing and the company gets faa approval for the change to weight and balance.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Aircraft n935wn with the new interior entering service on jan 25 will still be limited to 137 seats until the IT folks can do their thing and the company gets faa approval for the change to weight and balance.
They are saying that will happen in March. The benefit in the interim is that 6 seats will stay empty on this plane until then. Jumpseaters and non-revers are prohibited from occupying one of these 6 seats until it's done.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Aircraft n935wn with the new interior entering service on jan 25 will still be limited to 137 seats until the IT folks can do their thing.....
I can just see it now. The ops agent boards all 143 people and they go to close the flight only to be met with: "Oops- unable to close your flight due to an undefined error. If this error persists please call 1-800-IFLY-SWA.

The next attempt will be met with:

Oops! Your departure date is invalid. Please enter it in the format of MM/DD/YYYY. (SW1080004)

Then:

Oops! No flights found. (SW110004)

Followed by:

Oops! Unable to close your flight due to an undefined error. If this error persists please call 1-800-IFLY-SWA..

And finally:

Oops! We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. Please try again later..
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
I can just see it now. The ops agent boards all 143 people and they go to close the flight only to be met with: "Oops- unable to close your flight due to an undefined error. If this error persists please call 1-800-IFLY-SWA.

The next attempt will be met with:

Oops! Your departure date is invalid. Please enter it in the format of MM/DD/YYYY. (SW1080004)

Then:

Oops! No flights found. (SW110004)

Followed by:

Oops! Unable to close your flight due to an undefined error. If this error persists please call 1-800-IFLY-SWA..

And finally:

Oops! We are currently unable to complete your request due to an undefined error. Please try again later..
Except............the computers won't take 143.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
"The cabin upgrade also allows us to create significant revenue opportunities without adding unwanted fees," said Southwest Executive Vice President Bob Jordan.

Hard to a believe a senior exective would make such a blatently moronic statement. Of course, Jordan was former VP of Technology at SW, so apparently, the fatsest way to get ahead at SW is to fail!

Last edited by ryerflyer; Jan 17, 2012 at 5:54 pm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryerflyer
"The cabin upgrade also allows us to create significant revenue opportunities without adding unwanted fees," said Southwest Executive Vice President Bob Jordan.

Hard to a believe a senior exective would make such a blatently moronic statement. Of course, Jordan was former VP of Technology at SW, so apparently, the fatsest way to get ahead at SW is to fail!
+1...so true!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I am amazed at the lack of outrage here.

It seems there is nothing that current management will not do in the short term to increase revenue at the expense of passenger satisfaction.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by lougord99
I am amazed at the lack of outrage here.
Perhaps at this point nothing's shocking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.