Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Weather Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Help with Weather Cancellation

Not much experience with WN. UA flyer here......so don't bash please.

Trying to help out my brother-in-law. He just got a call advising him that his flight tomorrow out of SAN to BWI Via MDW was cancelled due to fog. They said that the only thing they could do was to rebook him out of his original departure city two days later.

My brother-in-law identified a flight tomorrow out of LAX to BWI (he would drive to LAX early tomorrow morning) but WN says they must charge him a $200 fare difference. Is this really the policy.....
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
-book "anytime" fare (refundable) ticket for the route he wants (saves the seat from selling out)

-call WN's 800#, ask for a supervisor who can look up reason for cancellationand has authority to rebook
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Look at ONT and SNA also, both are as close than LAX. Also a cancelled flight should get a full refund. He could then just rebook on a new ticket. The new ticket may indeed be higher as it is last minute, so check both and pick the best option. What they are trying to do is change the existing which will get the fare upgrade.

They should really accommodate you out of any airport of your choice since it was a cancellation. Is he working with ticketing at the airport? He should call customer service and work that option. They seem to have more tools available than the ticket agents at the airport.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jan 2, 2012 at 8:36 am Reason: Misread original airport
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Thanks for the help.....He found a lower price option on US Air out of LAX and got a refund on the WN ticket.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Thanks for the help.....He found a lower price option on US Air out of LAX and got a refund on the WN ticket.
Cool.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Not much experience with WN. UA flyer here......so don't bash please.

Trying to help out my brother-in-law. He just got a call advising him that his flight tomorrow out of SAN to BWI Via MDW was cancelled due to fog. They said that the only thing they could do was to rebook him out of his original departure city two days later.

My brother-in-law identified a flight tomorrow out of LAX to BWI (he would drive to LAX early tomorrow morning) but WN says they must charge him a $200 fare difference. Is this really the policy.....
It makes a big difference if it was cancelled due to mechanical issues vs weather. You have much, much more leverage to get rebooked if you tell them it was due to mechanical. I am at STL right now and the SAN to STL flight is cancelled. They found us a new plane in STL to go on to PHL. The SAN flight was supposed to be our aircraft.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ther wouldn't move him to a LAX flight because it's not a coterminal with SAN. If he was on a SNA-BWI routing it would be no problem to move to a LAX flight.

Glad he was able to get a lower cost option though.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
My flight into SAN was diverted back to SJC halfway through, due to fog as well.

Question for those who have booked a RR points flight and volunteered to give up their seats for the $300 LUV voucher - because I booked the flight originally by points, the value of my ticket is $0, correct? I searched the forums and there were a few posts from 2010 stating that the RR award bookings were technically worth $100, but I don't know if that has changed since switching over to 2.0?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ther wouldn't move him to a LAX flight because it's not a coterminal with SAN. If he was on a SNA-BWI routing it would be no problem to move to a LAX flight.

Glad he was able to get a lower cost option though.
While that's true about them not being coterminals, WN should allow some bending of the rules in light of the continuing fog issues in SAN and the impact it has had and will continue to have and temporarily allow LAX, SNA, and possibly ONT as options for displaced SAN travelers.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
In my experience taking a voluntary bump on a flight booked using points, I received a voucher for $300 plus the cash amount of the ticket I had purchased using RR2.0 points. (For example, I had booked a $113 WGA fare using points, and received a voucher for $413.)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by alggag
While that's true about them not being coterminals, WN should allow some bending of the rules in light of the continuing fog issues in SAN and the impact it has had and will continue to have and temporarily allow LAX, SNA, and possibly ONT as options for displaced SAN travelers.
I agree. FWIW, I've had better luck changing airports (SNA to SAN or TUS to PHX) when I ask at the gate.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
+1. They completely should have. If passenger, willing and able to get to LAX, proposes something like this as a reasonable solution to an irrops situation, it seems to me that any thinking, client-centric agent with a problem-solving focus should have accepted it. Root cause of the cancellation shouldn't have been an issue: the passenger was just seeking an alternate route, not compensation to get up to LAX, something that might have been reasonable in MX but not WX.

to Southwest on this one.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US Cheaper than WN

Tells you something that US on a last minute TCON is cheaper than WN. Real lesson is to forget WN going forward. Any real carrier would have rebooked in IRROPS on any reasonably available flight.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Any real carrier would have rebooked in IRROPS on any reasonably available flight.
I'm pretty sure most airlines wouldn't offer to switch a non-status pax to an airport that isn't a co-terminal.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I'm pretty sure most airlines wouldn't offer to switch a non-status pax to an airport that isn't a co-terminal.
I am pretty sure that any real carrier would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.