Wiki Posts
Search

Can you build a route on WN?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
Can you build a route on WN?

I tried using search and didn't find anything on this topic, also not sure if this is the proper location to ask...

Basically I'm trying to create a flight routing with a roughly 2hour layover. I am trying to layover in an otherwise "standard" connecting city. As a newbie to WN.com booking, this appears to be an impossibility - either you take the routing presented (with a ~30 min layover) or you book two one-way legs and pay the one-way prices. Am I missing something? or is there any secret booking hack?

My previous experience with the other majors is that so long as you don't violate the layover rules (typically <4 hours) they price it as a through flight. Of course, WN doesn't have as many flight options....

thanks!
TJ
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingJoel
I tried using search and didn't find anything on this topic, also not sure if this is the proper location to ask...

Basically I'm trying to create a flight routing with a roughly 2hour layover. I am trying to layover in an otherwise "standard" connecting city. As a newbie to WN.com booking, this appears to be an impossibility - either you take the routing presented (with a ~30 min layover) or you book two one-way legs and pay the one-way prices. Am I missing something? or is there any secret booking hack?

My previous experience with the other majors is that so long as you don't violate the layover rules (typically <4 hours) they price it as a through flight. Of course, WN doesn't have as many flight options....

thanks!
TJ
Did you look at the Wiki FAQ?

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...king_online.3F
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the link!

It appears that you cannot do what I was trying to do... actually, it won't even let me book the "standard" routing as two legs - it violates the minimum layover rule! (which just begs the question of why that is the standard routing...)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
thanks for the link!

It appears that you cannot do what I was trying to do... actually, it won't even let me book the "standard" routing as two legs - it violates the minimum layover rule! (which just begs the question of why that is the standard routing...)
Was that possibly a through flight (same number, same aircraft with one stop) they are trying to keep you on? If so there wouldn't be much advantage to booking a longer layover.

Unless you're trying to meet someone at the mid-point or schedule a conference call.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
Was that possibly a through flight (same number, same aircraft with one stop) they are trying to keep you on?
yes same number, not sure of the aircraft
Unless you're trying to meet someone at the mid-point or schedule a conference call.
exactly.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Just for kicks I was able to book a 5hr layover rather than a through flight. Then I changed it to roughly 2hrs. Both worked properly. Though all the cities I used are larger stations and connections are the norm.

What flights and dates were you trying?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite
yes same number, not sure of the aircraft
On WN, same-number flights are always the same aircraft and you don't get off the plane at any intermediate stops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.