FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Flight 3785 emergency landing in DTW instead of MDW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1230142-flight-3785-emergency-landing-dtw-instead-mdw.html)

deltheking Jun 25, 2011 10:44 am

Flight 3785 emergency landing in DTW instead of MDW

I was in the WN flight 3785 from NewYork LGA to MDW Chicago today and there was an emergency landing in DTW Detroit. The reason given by the pilot initially after landing was a possible engine leak or a sensor malfunction which then was most possibly confirmed as an oil leak. So, for now stuck in Detroit !! :)

The pilot gave no indication or made a mention during the flight or during landing that we landed at a different airport and that there was a possible engine leak. Only after the flight completely landed and made a complete stop at the gate , did the pilot made the announcement. I think that was a really good move or else it would have induced unnecessary panic.^

All credit to the pilot and the flight attendants for doing a great job and in a very professional manner. The ground staff and the gate agents are also doing a very good job of trying to re-accommodate connecting passengers. All kudos to the Southwest staff. So, what are the good restaurants here at the North terminal DTW airport? Any suggestions ?:D

Also, some folks here are asking about compensation and the works. The usual stuff , I guess when there are delays or cancellations !! So realistically , do they have any chance of any compensation due to the engine oil leak problem - so basically an aircraft problem and nothing to do with the weather. LOL !!

SDCA Jun 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by deltheking (Post 16623888)
I was in the WN flight 3785 from NewYork LGA to MDW Chicago today and there was an emergency landing in DTW Detroit. The reason given by the pilot initially after landing was a possible engine leak or a sensor malfunction which then was most possibly confirmed as an oil leak. So, for now stuck in Detroit !! :)

The pilot gave no indication or made a mention during the flight or during landing that we landed at a different airport and that there was a possible engine leak. Only after the flight completely landed and made a complete stop at the gate , did the pilot made the announcement. I think that was a really good move or else it would have induced unnecessary panic.^

All credit to the pilot and the flight attendants for doing a great job and in a very professional manner. The ground staff and the gate agents are also doing a very good job of trying to re-accommodate connecting passengers. All kudos to the Southwest staff. So, what are the good restaurants here at the North terminal DTW airport? Any suggestions ?:D

Also, some folks here are asking about compensation and the works. The usual stuff , I guess when there are delays or cancellations !! So realistically , do they have any chance of any compensation due to the engine oil leak problem - so basically an aircraft problem and nothing to do with the weather. LOL !!

More likely you will get some sort of compensation.

I was in St Louis last week and over heard a gate supervisor giving everyone on flight a $200 voucher because their flight was delayed for almost 4 hours due to a mechanical.

dlaue Jun 25, 2011 2:34 pm

We received $200 vouchers each without asking at MDW last month after a lightening strike took our connecting flight out of service and we were delayed 4 hours.

pinniped Jun 25, 2011 3:02 pm

I don't know...when I've been diverted in the past, the pilot has announced it and there hasn't been a panic. I mean, by the time you're beginning to descend into DTW, anybody in a window seat is going to quickly notice the lack of Chicago. (Or at least one side of the plane will have a very good idea...) Might as well just tell pax that the flight is diverting to DTW. I think I'd be more alarmed if we're descending through 10,000 feet 30-45 minutes early and I know we aren't anywhere near Chicago. A little "here's what's up" from the captain would be nice.

deltheking Jun 25, 2011 9:31 pm

So, a follow up to my trip. My final destination was DAL from LGA and connecting in MDW. I was now held up in DTW for 4+hrs and there were no flights from DTW to DAL that day or from MDW to DAL that day. Southwest rerouted me back to MDW today and gave me a hotel and food voucher for a hotel stay in MDW overnight and the first flight to DAL from MDW early the next morning.^

The gate agents at DTW told the passengers to contact SWA customer service directly instead for the compensation vouchers or money. They said as there were so many passengers who missed connections or had cancelled flights b'cos of this unscheduled engine problem -- they could not deal with so many vouchers etc. So, the ball is SWA's customer service court now. Let's see how this plays out.;)

deltheking Jun 29, 2011 10:30 am

A follow up on the refund/voucher info. I am impressed by SWA's proactive response. A day after my arrival, they sent an email apologizing for the inconvenience caused and also the refund for the one way ticket for both my wife and me in the form of a SWA travel voucher. ^

So, a very professional handling of the situation by WN. Win win for everyone. SWA is always my first choice of carrier unless their price is really high . If checking in bags or if you may have change of plans - SWA is really such a no brainer. And its good having SWA doen here in Texas- helps keep AA and its prices under check and also the new United/Continental !!:)