Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Pilot Suspended For Slurs, Swearing Over Air Traffic Radio

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Pilot Suspended For Slurs, Swearing Over Air Traffic Radio

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I guess if Southwest wants to continue to employ a bigoted homophobe, that's their business. It also reflects their corporate values.

The FA union has expressed dismay at the pilot as well as SW management for the "slap on the wrist” he got. Crew relations will only go south from here –and passengers are bound to notice. Just what an already deteriorating airline needs right now...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I wonder how much the union went to bat for this guy. On the one hand, that's what they do. On the other, if I'm the union, I've gotta be thinking that it is a PR nightmare if I stick up for the pilot in an era where unions aren't exactly getting great press.

Mike
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:20 am

I was told years ago that SWA's union is a "company" union.
Might explain the reaction.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LAX-1K
Very true! We have a saying in the broadcast industry: "The mic is ALWAYS hot."

You never know who's listening...
When it comes to an ATC frequency, everybody is listening...

The funny thing is that instances of "stuck mics" are not all that uncommon. Those push-to-talk (PTT) button can stick sometimes.

If an aircraft is parked at an airport, ATC contacts each airline and local personnel have each of their aircraft checked to find the culprit.

If the aircraft with a stuck mic is in the air, ATC commonly contacts the airline's dispatch center, and the dispatcher for each flight will communicate with their various aircraft in the area via a text message interface (ACARS), or on a different frequency (aircraft have more than a single radio) to have them check.

If only sports or politics had been being discussed (instead of boorish locker room talk), this would have been just another tranient stuck mic event and the story never would have made the news. Alas, it didn't happen that way.

I would hope that most folks could discern the difference between the behavior of one and not an entire organization...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:38 am

I would hope that most folks could discern the difference between the behavior of one and not an entire organization...
slap on the wrist to the pilot is an insult to each and every flight attendant.

Last edited by hat attack; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Originally Posted by CavePearl
That's a pretty limited point of view.

Jerks are everywhere. What makes you think they are only hired by WN?
I suspect he doesn't care about the jerk driving the plane, but the unattractive FAs.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:40 am

Regardless of how crude the pilot's sentiments may be, I have to wonder if he is smart enough to be in the cockpit if he says those sorts of things in the cockpit. You never know when something will go wrong. And if a disruption happens, say a piece of fuselage peels off, then the FAA will be all over the black boxes and pick up that kind of conversation.
Or, from another angle, remember the DL pilots who flew past MSP because they were talking about work schedules?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
I guess if Southwest wants to continue to employ a bigoted homophobe, that's their business. It also reflects their corporate values.

The FA union has expressed dismay at the pilot as well as SW management for the "slap on the wrist” he got. Crew relations will only go south from here –and passengers are bound to notice. Just what an already deteriorating airline needs right now...
Anyone that is a homophobe is bigotted

He should have been fired.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by hat attack
The problem is that the Company's "boys-will-be-boys" slap on the wrist to the pilot is an insult to each and every flight attendant.
I can readily understand how some F/As may well feel that way, but it also can be a matter of perspective.

Should the situation have been different, say, some passengers theoretically overhearing two male F/As discussing the same type of inappropriate subject matter, the F/A group might have felt that termination was too harsh, and that other remedial actions would have been more appropriate, even if maybe some other groups interpreted them as being a "slap on the wrist."

I've got friends at several other airlines, and some of these other airlines seem quite Draconian when it comes to metting out discipline and terminations. In my 30+ years at SWA, I've found management to be fair and equitable, and, personally, I trust their judgement on the matter. Naturally, every individual employee has to come to their own conclusion.

Cheers...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:24 am

For the rest of his life, he will only ask for an unopened can of water from the back.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by StuartMI
Yet another reason I'll never fly WN.
+1

Bad decision to say that...if the FAs from that flight know about the incident, they would probably know who the captain was.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:41 am

Should the situation have been different, say, some passengers theoretically overhearing two male F/As discussing the same type of inappropriate subject matter, the F/A group might have felt that termination was too harsh, and that other remedial actions would have been more appropriate, even if maybe some other groups interpreted them as being a "slap on the wrist."
In my 30+years at SWA, I've found management to be fair and equitable, and, personally, I trust their judgement on the matter.
I found that the opinion of any particular group regarding the appropriate discipline for a member of that group wasn't the determining factor.

I didn't mention the word "termination", but suggested that the FAs are disturbed by the condescending tone from the Company. However, I have no doubt that termination 'would be on the table', if a gay passenger complained to the Company about 2 FAs being overheard making the same remarks.

This situation is worse, considering how much time and training is used to emphasize the importance of CRM, crew communication and trust, and crew teamwork.

Last edited by hat attack; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:54 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I listened to the recording..

I thought it was awesome and funny.

No clue why he's been suspended. What, he's not allowed to have his opinion?

I hope he sues.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by rajuabju
I listened to the recording..

I thought it was awesome and funny.

No clue why he's been suspended. What, he's not allowed to have his opinion?

I hope he sues.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I hope I NEVER have the displeasure of sitting next to someone like you who finds this behavior acceptable. He is entitled to his opinion, but as a supposed professional and representative of an airline which supposedly promotes diversity and tolerance, he should keep is insensitive philosophy to himself.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:24 am

I hope he sues.
Sue for what??

He's lucky he hasn't been sent to the right seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.