Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Proactive Communications

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Thumbs up Southwest Proactive Communications

On Saturday, flying home MCO to ALB, the thunderstorm that'd been threatening all week broke just before take off. The heavens opened, and the downpour began. Consequently, we were kept on the Tarmac a good 90 minutes before we were cleared for takeoff. During this time, the Captain kept us relatively well informed of what was going on, but the FAs were basically no where to be seen - no service, no announcements, etc. I was mildly surprised by that, but it was weather, not something SWA was doing to us of their own accord. So I did my best to sleep on the plane and wait it out. Eventually we got home and everything was fine.

Today, I just got an email from "Southwest Airlines Proactive Communications":
Greetings from Southwest Airlines:

I regret that your June 18 trip was disrupted by the thunderstorms—more often than not, the weather treats us right which allows us to provide our Customers with the prompt service that they have come to expect. However, we had to wait a little longer than usual on Saturday for the “thumbs up” to depart from Orlando, and we’d like to thank you for your patience throughout this delay.

Although we are unable to control the weather or the rate in which Air Traffic Control manages flight departures, we do have some say in how we show our appreciation for you as a valued Customer. In this spirit, I’m sending you a LUV Voucher* (separately, but to the same e-mail address) as a gesture of goodwill that we invite you to apply toward a future Southwest reservation. You can be sure that we are looking forward to welcoming you back for better air travel experiences in the days ahead.

Sincerely,
Lindsey Duncan
I find two things interesting about this: 1) that they would bother to compensate us at all for what was obviously and purely a weather issue, especially without any complaint on my part. 2) that they don't specify the amount of the LUV voucher that will be sent to me. Are they still figuring out how much to give us? Are they waiting to see how many more complaints come in before determining an amount?

In any event, this was a nicely pleasant surprise from SWA today, and restores just a tiny amount of LUV for my preferred airline.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 8:54 am

I had the same thing about a year ago. Funny, I fly SWA a LOT. I fly AA less and I have gotten more auto notices and free points from AA due to delays and issues than I have with SWA. Then again, SWA is usually spot on with schedules in the West.... says something about the efficiency of their operations.

I was flying out of New Mexico and we hit a bird on take off. Aborted landing, 30 mins delay while brakes cooled and plane was checked out. About an hour total delay. Got a $100 voucher w/o asking.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I received one of these about a month ago for a 50 min delay departing BWI. I was kind of surprised I got one for such a relatively short delay. What does WN use as criteria for sending these out? Status? Fare type? How common are these?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:52 am

So odd. I've had to fight with them in cases of delay for reasons other than weather just to receive any kind of compensation at all.

Please do let us know how much the voucher is. My guess would be $50.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
redacted, old thread

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 18, 2014 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by ursine1
So odd. I've had to fight with them in cases of delay for reasons other than weather just to receive any kind of compensation at all.

Please do let us know how much the voucher is. My guess would be $50.
It was $100 voucher!

EDIT: Just looked back, and it was a BS fare.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by palmetto86
It was $100 voucher!

EDIT: Just looked back, and it was a BS fare.
Interesting. I'd love to know if all passengers received compensation, or just those on BS fares (and/or perhaps A-Listers).
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by palmetto86
I received one of these about a month ago for a 50 min delay departing BWI. I was kind of surprised I got one for such a relatively short delay. What does WN use as criteria for sending these out? Status? Fare type? How common are these?
We received a proactive communication with a $100 voucher apologizing that the 'inagural first flight out' festivities to SJU resulted in us pushing back FIVE minutes late.

So I'd say that members of the media being onboard are a big factor in receiving the vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.