Wiki Posts
Search

RR 2.0 Tips & Tricks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by ftnoob
The rules clearly state points will be given:
The is good news! But without their being a way to remove a RR number from an existing reservation, it seems like their might not be any way to make use of this.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:53 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

CS&S can remove the RR# for you, as reported in the thread linked above. (You may have to be insistent, as the agent likely won't comprehend why anyone would request such a thing.) As discussed in a later thread (see especially the posts by ftnoob and SWAVictor), however, under the new ticketing system flight credits can still post even if the RR# is not in the record. The best thing to do is to rebook using the tips that follow SWAVictor's explanation of how credits can post without an RR#.

If fares have changed so much that rebooking is out of the question, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and have the RR# deleted and hope for the best. We don't know enough about how the system attempts to associate a passenger with an RR# to give solid advice as to how to improve your odds of success. One thing to consider, however, would be changing your mailing address and phone number in your MySouthwest profile before phoning to have the RR# removed.

An A-Lister attempting deferral will need to remember to OLCI at T-24.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ftnoob
An A-Lister attempting deferral will need to remember to OLCI at T-24.
Or just delete the RR number after T-36.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:35 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

If you plan to use RR Visa anniversary points to earn a long-lived CP as early as possible every other year, don't apply for the card after the first few months of the year!

Better yet, if churning for the signup bonus continues to work, apply for a new card (or cards if you also get the business card) every other year in mid- to late December or very early January.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you are A-List, always look at BS and Anytime tickets

This may be old hat for most of you, but I am a little surprised at this.

Looking for a flight MDW-ORF for my wife. Here's what I see for a one-way at one of the more expensive times (she is not A-List):

BS: $273 earn 3,276 pts

Anytime: $258 earn 2,580 pts

WGA: $233 earn 1,398 pts

Double that for A-List preferred. The extra points at 1.67 cents each for WGA redemption would be easily paid for by the difference in price. If it's a tax-deductible business trip, so much the better, and you vault upward toward A-List renewal much faster.

We are going to have to retrain our minds to look at every flight option every time.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Methinks BS is the way to go if WGA isn't available...there's still the free drink and better boarding position along with the extra points.

...which makes me think that perhaps WN has outsmarted me: haha, give that unfaithful *A loving cheat A- instead of A+ --- that'll compel him to buy our BS.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
With the new system BS make a whole lot of sense when you are down to that and Anytime. In situations like the one you posted it makes no sense at all to buy the WGA fare.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If it's a tax-deductible business trip, so much the better, and you vault upward toward A-List renewal much faster.

We are going to have to retrain our minds to look at every flight option every time.
Hi,
There is a thread that might contradict your conclusion. It was stated that A-List bonus points do not count as total qualifying points for A-list renewals and CP?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-tqp-cpqp.html
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Heryanta
Hi,
There is a thread that might contradict your conclusion. It was stated that A-List bonus points do not count as total qualifying points for A-list renewals and CP?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-tqp-cpqp.html
Was talking only about Tier Qualifying Points, which are hard to come by and valuable. Twice as many per dollar for BS tickets vs. WGA tickets, right?

Same way UA folks look at EQMs vs. RDMs.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G

That's the ticket.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, SPG Gold
Have to say, I'm actually making out much better under RR2.0 than the old system.

I frequently do RDU-BNA flights and they are often booked less than a week before departure, putting me in Anytime/BS status. This past weekend's flight: $450 R/T as Anytime fare, which as an A+ member meant 9,000 points; plus a $40 Budget rental car that with the current promo translates to 1,200 points. (No idea if I get an A+ 100% bonus on those -- I doubt it -- but thru June there's a promo code for 2x points.)

So that's 10,200 points, good enough for a $170 WGA fare free flight. Oh, and that's before the extra points for buying it on a SW RR Visa card.

Old system? I would have gotten 2.5 credits, plus roughly a .75 credits worth for using the Visa.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
Was talking only about Tier Qualifying Points, which are hard to come by and valuable. Twice as many per dollar for BS tickets vs. WGA tickets, right?

Ah, just got it ... I'm slow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.