Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by ftnoob
I'm surprised nobody has used "ALPs" yet!
I hereby try to establish the terminology A+ and A- as abbreviations for A-List-Preferred and A-List.

(Makes me think of United's Economy Plus, which is a term that they market, and how it has inspired the corresponding term Economy Minus to refer to the "normal" non-Plus seating....)

Last edited by pshuang; Jan 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm Reason: Oops, reversed A-List-Preferred and A-List.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:40 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by nitro
I've been trying to stay on top of this thread - I haven't seen this answered.....the last few posts have me wondering whether there has been any word on WN's progress toward announcing "grandfathered" A-list & A+-list status prior to 3/1?

Is SWABrian back from the big football weekend?
I'm back, and I wasn't given a firm answer as to date, but it sounds like a large undertaking, so my guess is that it will be closer to March 1. I will keep checking.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:35 am

My current credits are slated to expire in May of 2012.
Just your oldest credits. If some were earned after May '10 they'll be valid until two years later.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spankytoes
This year, I am planning on 3 trips where I would consider WN. The first is listed above, bringing me to 11 credits, but the other two will be severely devalued. With flights, car and hotel, I’m looking at an average of 1,540 points per trip on WGA fares. That’s a total of 3,080 points, or 2.5 1.0 credits, bringing my credit total to 13.5 for 2011. My current credits are slated to expire in May of 2012.

Am I correct in understanding that I will need to earn enough points that I can transfer into credits before this May 2012 expiration date? I don’t think that I’ll be able to hit this before that date because I just don’t to fly WN that often. Most of my travel is to NYC and AA flies direct, is cheaper, and seems like it will be more beneficial.
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be only factoring in car and hotel on the WN flights. Even though you're flying AA to JFK, you can still credit any hotel (and car, if you happen to rent a car at JFK) to WN. Depending on how many trips to JFK you have, couldn't that be enough?

(Hotels and cars earnings into RR 2.0 may or may not be devalued later. So I would recommend you especially consider crediting the soonest car rentals and hotel stays you have to WN, no matter who gets you to those cities.)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm a bit confused. You seem to be only factoring in car and hotel on the WN flights. Even though you're flying AA to JFK, you can still credit any hotel (and car, if you happen to rent a car at JFK) to WN. Depending on how many trips to JFK you have, couldn't that be enough?

(Hotels and cars earnings into RR 2.0 may or may not be devalued later. So I would recommend you especially consider crediting the soonest car rentals and hotel stays you have to WN, no matter who gets you to those cities.)
The problem is that I have a corporate apartment in Astoria and never rent a car in NYC. My sole earning for these are trips that I take with WN.

Since my '09 credits will expire next year, and I won't hit the 16 benchmark equivelent before they do, it sounds like it would behoove me to switch everything over to AA. That's a shame. If I could convert my existing credits to points and get a 1-way out of it, I wouldn't feel so bad.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:26 pm

CP Question-Help!

I have talked to 7 different customer relations people at SW, all who have given me different answers and i'm so frustrated! Hopefully someone can answer my question correctly. How is Southwest tracking CP qualification in 2011 for flights? I know they are going to a point system starting March 1st, but in the e-mail they sent around on Jan. 7th, it made it sound like through 12/31/2011, they are going to allow the "one credit per one way flight" thing let you qualify still? Im sooooo confused, someone please help! I'm talking about the sentence below from the e-mail they sent around...what does this mean for after the launch of RR 2.0? They are going to be tracking credits on the side for each one way flight in addition to the points? SOOOO confusing.

Credits for flights flown prior to the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards on March 1, 2011, will be calculated just as they are in today’s program. Credit from each one-way flight flown after the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards also will be tracked for Companion Pass qualification.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AZChick
I have talked to 7 different customer relations people at SW, all who have given me different answers and i'm so frustrated! Hopefully someone can answer my question correctly. How is Southwest tracking CP qualification in 2011 for flights? I know they are going to a point system starting March 1st, but in the e-mail they sent around on Jan. 7th, it made it sound like through 12/31/2011, they are going to allow the "one credit per one way flight" thing let you qualify still? Im sooooo confused, someone please help! I'm talking about the sentence below from the e-mail they sent around...what does this mean for after the launch of RR 2.0? They are going to be tracking credits on the side for each one way flight in addition to the points? SOOOO confusing.

Credits for flights flown prior to the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards on March 1, 2011, will be calculated just as they are in today’s program. Credit from each one-way flight flown after the launch of the All-New Rapid Rewards also will be tracked for Companion Pass qualification.
Post number 1 of this thread has the updated correct answer.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Post number 1 of this thread has the updated correct answer.
I can't find the correct answer to my question in post number 1, please copy and paste it.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:39 pm

Is Southwest tracking (allowing) 1 credit per one way flight for companion pass qualification for the rest of 2011?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Is Southwest tracking (allowing) 1 credit per one way flight for companion pass qualification for the rest of 2011?
I believe that they have committed to doing this as long as you were already on track, and that would be until February 28, 2012. If they lose track, just count the flights yourself and write a letter requesting the CP based on count. It should work, IMHO.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that they have committed to doing this as long as you were already on track, and that would be until February 28, 2012. If they lose track, just count the flights yourself and write a letter requesting the CP based on count. It should work, IMHO.
So right now, I have 10 CP credits, needing 90 more by 12/10/11. If I fly 32 one way flights before 12/10/11, that should bring my amount needed down from 90 to 58, correct? They are still tracking it this way, not with the new point system? I will get the other 58 credits from SW Visa spending...$1200 * 58 = $69,600 I need to spend before 12/10/11. Am I correct in the way I am thinking they are doing this??
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
So right now, I have 10 CP credits, needing 90 more by 12/10/11. If I fly 32 one way flights before 12/10/11, that should bring my amount needed down from 90 to 58, correct? They are still tracking it this way, not with the new point system? I will get the other 58 credits from SW Visa spending...$1200 * 58 = $69,600 I need to spend before 12/10/11. Am I correct in the way I am thinking they are doing this??
Yes, all seems to be correct.

NOTE: CC Spend credits/points must post to RR account before 12/10/11 and not just spend before that date.

Last edited by benmaller; Jan 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm Reason: clarify CC spend
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:13 pm

I've been confused by this too...so when will AZChick's CP be good until, provided that she earns the 100th credit on 12/10/11? Will it be valid until 12/10/13? 12/31/13?

Last edited by subdawg; Jan 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm Reason: edit
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:02 pm

So I was thinking... many of the "loopholes" for "gaming" have been closed or have changed in the new program... but there are ways to fully maximize the program.

A) Visa card... since points are worth up to 1.66 cents per point on WGA redemptions, its like getting a 1.66% rebate on all your purchases. And with the double points with Southwest purchases, and its hotel and car partners, its like a 3.33% rebate on all those purchases...

B) If you are A+ and buy B.S. fares, you get 24 points per $ plus another 2 if you pay with the SWA Visa. That's 26 points per $. At 1.66c each, that's like a 43% "rebate" on the fare.

C) If you have a Companion Pass, and you redeem for a WGA fare, you get a return of 3.33 cents per point value. That's fairly comparable with the best redemption values on the legacies if you try to redeem for business class overseas.

D) Combine A & B & C (B.S. fare, A+, Visa and CP, redeem for WGA), you'll get an 86% "rebate" on your fares. That's pretty sweet.

E) Thinking about the 250,000 miles I have on legacy airlines, I think I'd rather have RR2.0 points which would get me $4150 worth of ANY WGA flights, not just the ones the airline "wants" me to redeem for. I can't find reasonable awards on the legacies when I want to travel. Usually I find a $300 flight and they won't give it away for 25,000 miles...that frustrates me.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
So I was thinking... many of the "loopholes" for "gaming" have been closed or have changed in the new program... but there are ways to fully maximize the program.

A) Visa card... since points are worth up to 1.66 cents per point on WGA redemptions, its like getting a 1.66% rebate on all your purchases. And with the double points with Southwest purchases, and its hotel and car partners, its like a 3.33% rebate on all those purchases...

B) If you are A+ and buy B.S. fares, you get 24 points per $ plus another 2 if you pay with the SWA Visa. That's 26 points per $. At 1.66c each, that's like a 43% "rebate" on the fare.

C) If you have a Companion Pass, and you redeem for a WGA fare, you get a return of 3.33 cents per point value. That's fairly comparable with the best redemption values on the legacies if you try to redeem for business class overseas.

D) Combine A & B & C (B.S. fare, A+, Visa and CP, redeem for WGA), you'll get an 86% "rebate" on your fares. That's pretty sweet.

E) Thinking about the 250,000 miles I have on legacy airlines, I think I'd rather have RR2.0 points which would get me $4150 worth of ANY WGA flights, not just the ones the airline "wants" me to redeem for. I can't find reasonable awards on the legacies when I want to travel. Usually I find a $300 flight and they won't give it away for 25,000 miles...that frustrates me.
C) 3.3 cents per mile is not the BEST redemption value for international business, rather one of the WORSE redemption value.

E) 250,000 miles would yield a standard award for US - East Asia business class on United, granting a last seat availability. Meaning that it actually is worth easily up to $8,000 for unrestricted J ticket, or at least $4000 for discounted business class ticket. or 5 standard award for any domestic unrestricted economy - $800 each (conservatively) comes out about $4000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.