Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Cancelled my flight will not offer any credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Last Weds night I received a text that my Thursday morning flight from Chicago to Orlando was cancelled. I had no access to a computer so I called the 800 number. Was told they did not know why possibly 1. Fog, 2. Mechanical, 3. Plane was being sent to east coast because of back up out there. They also had nothing available later in the day. They gave me a number for customer relations which was already closed.

Today I finally got through to someone and she said she's sorry but the flight was cancelled because of fog and since it was weather related I get no refund or credit.

We ended up flying Delta for $680 a person. We left at 7 a.m. on time, the fog was not an issue.

I don't understand if they cancel the flight shouldn't at least get my purchase price back? We fly SW a couple times a year and have never ever had a problem.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by jmoran74
Last Weds night I received a text that my Thursday morning flight from Chicago to Orlando was cancelled. I had no access to a computer so I called the 800 number. Was told they did not know why possibly 1. Fog, 2. Mechanical, 3. Plane was being sent to east coast because of back up out there. They also had nothing available later in the day. They gave me a number for customer relations which was already closed.

Today I finally got through to someone and she said she's sorry but the flight was cancelled because of fog and since it was weather related I get no refund or credit.

We ended up flying Delta for $680 a person. We left at 7 a.m. on time, the fog was not an issue.

I don't understand if they cancel the flight shouldn't at least get my purchase price back? We fly SW a couple times a year and have never ever had a problem.

If your flight was cancelled - for any reason - and you elected not to rebook on an alternative Southwest flight, you are entitled to a refund. I recommend you call Customer Relations again and emphasize that you did not travel to Orlando on Southwest.

For reference, the Contract of Carriage states:

"Delays or Involuntary Cancellations. If a Passenger’s scheduled transportation is cancelled, terminated, or delayed before the Passenger has reached his final destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Carrier-caused missed connection, flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop, Carrier will either transport the Passenger at no additional charge on another of Carrier’s flights, refund the fare for the unused transportation, or provide a credit for such amount toward the purchase of future travel."

And just for added measure, the Customer Service Committment:

"Southwest always does its best to operate our flights as scheduled. Sometimes, events beyond our control or situations we could not anticipate prevent us from doing so. If, for any reason, your Southwest Airlines flight does not operate as scheduled, we will, at your request, refund the unused portion of your fare, or we will assist you by arranging to transport you to your destination on another Southwest flight with available seats. If you elect to take an alternate Southwest flight, we will not charge you any more money even if your ticket for the disrupted flight has usage limits or fare restrictions."

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/c...itment/csc.pdf

Last edited by JackieChiles; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:30 pm

One other note:

By default, you should have travel funds (credit) available under your PNR (confirmation number) for the flight to Orlando. Check here:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/tra...EW-TRAVEL-FUND
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Jackie!

I did check the link you sent and there is a credit good for a year. Why was the agent so negative on the phone? She said I would be getting nothing!

Now shouldn't I also get a refund for the Early Bird Check in I paid?

Thanks again for your help!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:50 pm

Thank you Jackie!

I did check the link you sent and there is a credit good for a year. Why was the agent so negative on the phone? She said I would be getting nothing!
Good question! Unless just flat ignorant, my only guess is that she didn't understand that you were never rebooked to Orlando on Southwest following the cancellation. She may have thought you were requesting compensation for the inconvenience, in which case you typically would be given nothing for a weather-related cancellation. In my experience, the CR folks are usually friendly and knowledgeable. This was clearly an exception.

Now shouldn't I also get a refund for the Early Bird Check in I paid?

Thanks again for your help!
I'm not super familiar with Early Bird, but according to the FAQ on southwest.com, you should get a refund of this as well. Glad I could help!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:10 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
I am so sorry that you were given incorrect info Anytime we cancel a flight, those funds are refundable or they can be applied to another flight. In the case of December 30, all of our originating morning flights were canceled from MDW. The first departure was Flight 2643 at 10:10 to IAD. This was due to heavy fog from the evening before. I found your PNR and you should have all of your one way fare from MDW to MCO available, or if you contact our call center, they can refund it. They only thing I can see that may have led to the confusion is that you purchased Early Bird Check-in and this $10 isn't refundable in most cases.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by SWABrian
I am so sorry that you were given incorrect info Anytime we cancel a flight, those funds are refundable or they can be applied to another flight. In the case of December 30, all of our originating morning flights were canceled from MDW. The first departure was Flight 2643 at 10:10 to IAD. This was due to heavy fog from the evening before. I found your PNR and you should have all of your one way fare from MDW to MCO available, or if you contact our call center, they can refund it. They only thing I can see that may have led to the confusion is that you purchased Early Bird Check-in and this $10 isn't refundable in most cases.
If a flight is canceled, pocketing the "Early Bird" funds amounts to a fraud on the part of Southwest.

Either you provide the service paid for, or you refund the money. Period, end of story.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If a flight is canceled, pocketing the "Early Bird" funds amounts to a fraud on the part of Southwest.

Either you provide the service paid for, or you refund the money. Period, end of story.
Mike - Accoriding to southwest.com, that's what happens:

If Southwest Airlines cancels my flight, will I get a refund for my EarlyBird Check-In purchase?

Yes. In the rare event that we must cancel a flight, we recognize that the decision was not within the Customer's control and will process a refund of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase for that particular flight in the Customer's itinerary. The refund will appear on the Purchaser's credit card statement within one to two billing cycles. If an e-mail address was listed in the reservation, the Customer will receive an e-mail to advise that a refund is being processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.