Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

This site can be a scary place outside of this forum.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)

I got adventurous a few days ago and decided to see what was doing in the Delta forum as I had been closely following the developments of their union vote and they had an active thread going. Man is it a different world out there. I cannot believe the attitudes of some of these Delta types. DYKWIA to the max!

In one thread a user posts about an experience where upon approaching DCA, he found it unusual that the pilot had asked everyone to remain seated from about 30 minutes out. Very quickly the topic became a witch hunt of sorts, calling for the member to report the incident to the FAA and saying that an investigation was in order (the mod of the forum no less). In reality, the captain has the authority to keep the seatbelt sign lit the entire flight as he see's fit. I just found it pretty amusing how these self important DYKWIA types seem too look for any opportunity to challenge authority or engage in a pi**ing contest.

Last edited by num1bearsfan; Nov 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:58 pm

99 percent of posts outside of this forum are about "why didn't I get upgraded/served first in coach"... etc- there is none of this on WN....
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Each forum seems to have a few agitators. I'm not a DL guy, but I've found the AA, UA, and WN boards helpful over the years...you just have to ignore the tr@lls that pop up from time to time.

Some of the lower-traffic (non-U.S.-carrier) boards are less caustic... But the lower traffic means your question might not be instantly answered like it is on some of the busier boards.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
As a DL and a WN flyer (DL out of DCA, WN for every intra-CA trip I make and cheap short runs from BWI), it's true, each board does have its different personalities.

Both of these boards have been great resources to me, and there are perfectly nice people on each board. There are also, as pinniped so eloquently put it, agitators. There are lots of friendly people on the DL board too. And while there are some threads about "shenanigans," I'd like to think that most of us at the end of the day are just happy to be living a lifestyle where that's the worst thing that happens to us on a given day.

I think people just use FlyerTalk to rant sometimes for ten minutes to a group of people who will understand for a bit. I know if I started ranting about "seat savers" or "the GA not enforcing boarding order" to my girlfriend or "upgrade shenanigans" to my brother, they would get really confused. While I don't really rant about these things, I understand that sometimes people just have to let it out. I think those threads just catch people on their not-so-good days.

...or maybe I'm completely wrong. Have you seen the DL Partisan Pilot thread?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know about Delta, but the UA and AA boards can be extremely caustic -- those two forums have generated more fodder for my ignore list (including one mod) than OMNI/PR. HOWEVER, as someone who must fly WN from time to time for business and, for a variety of reasons, would prefer to not, this forum is not completely lacking aggressive posters though, I agree, to a much lesser extent than others. Nonetheless, particular kudos to nsx as well as the WN posters here for making this a forum that, I think, is far more representative of the spirit of FT. ^
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by PHLflying
99 percent of posts outside of this forum are about "why didn't I get upgraded/served first in coach"... etc- there is none of this on WN....
Well, ONLY because WN doesn't have a Front Cabin, so that issue doesn't exist.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
+1 on the props to nsx. ^
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
In fact, i am about to post a question on the DL board asking about their WiFi on a flight i will be taking in two weeks.

Do you think i will get yelled at? lol
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDCA
In fact, i am about to post a question on the DL board asking about their WiFi on a flight i will be taking in two weeks.

Just make sure the white flag is held high as you enter. Don't make eye contact, place your question and move along.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr

NO... It's not that bad. You're dealing with human nature here (there?). Usually if you pose a query in a respectful way, you'll get a respectful answer.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:28 pm

Actually, I thought that the DL board has calmed down quite a bit, now that the reality of the NW merger has set in. But if dodging grenades gets your blood flowing, try UA/CO.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, OP-Plat, WN-CP A-List Rapid Rewards, HH Diamond, Starwood SPG.....

Ask away! I think everything will be ok........hey, that rhymes
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLflying
So??? 99% of the other airline forums don't have a single post ever asking "why can't this airline add assigned seating". But I see tons of this on WN.

More relevant: 99% of the posts outside this forum are about "why can't I reserve 5 award seats to Hawaii at Christmas time with my miles?", while 99% of the posts in this forum are "will WN ever have awards to Hawaii again?".
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So??? 99% of the other airline forums don't have a single post ever asking "why can't this airline add assigned seating". But I see tons of this on WN.
But have you checked the stats on how many posts ask "why can't this airline do away with assigned seating"?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch

More relevant: 99% of the posts outside this forum are about "why can't I reserve 5 award seats to Hawaii at Christmas time with my miles?", while 99% of the posts in this forum are "will WN ever have awards to Hawaii again?".
I'd disagree with that at about a rate of 99%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.