Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

This site can be a scary place outside of this forum.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This site can be a scary place outside of this forum.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Do not be afraid to venture out. FT is a game, classroom, and entertainment all at once. WN adheres to the KISS principles very well. The core competencies of simplicity help management run the company efficiently; especially managing customer expectations. There is a place for this model in a competitive environment.

I have been bitten by the DL game bug. I do not fly nearly as much as I used to but I still want to try for the best possible experience. In this year I have been able to turn my normal FO experience into PM by playing the game with the tools I have learned on FT. I have been able to determine the best flights for upgrades, MR deals for bonus MQMs, Amex transfers for bonus RDM and MQMs, club access for free, and have one on us vouchers for food and drink in the back. I actually enjoy navigating the complexities to improve my experience. It definitely breaks up the monotony of travel. Luckily if there have been shenanigans, they have broken in my favor this year; unexpected upgrades, rebooking on IROPS flights, etc.

FT can be quite an education and I still feel I am at the end of middle school getting ready for varsity as some things still scare me – fuel dumps and expedia.ca- that many FTers have leveraged to almost inconceivable good deals in this day and age.

The entertainment comes from the rants of the uneducated on almost any forum.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
The entertainment comes from the rants of the uneducated on almost any forum.
I like WN because the Rapid Rewards credit system is simple. I flew Delta once and didn't like it. They said I earned 666 frequent flyer miles from Philly to Hotlanta but would not let me redeem those miles for my return trip.

Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I like WN because the Rapid Rewards credit system is simple. I flew Delta once and didn't like it. They said I earned 666 frequent flyer miles from Philly to Hotlanta but would not let me redeem those miles for my return trip.

You must have missed out on the 40x promo!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
I like WN because the Rapid Rewards credit system is simple.
Because it's simple, or because it gets you free flight fast?

It would be equally simple if it were exactly like it is now except required 50.0 credits (instead of 16.0) for a free flight. But would you really still like it then?

Which, of course, begs the question of whether we'll still like it once Rapid Rewards 2.0 comes out next year. And whether, depending on how Rapid Rewards 2.0 actually turns out to work, whether the "tone" of this forum will stay as is or not...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Because it's simple, or because it gets you free flight fast?

It would be equally simple if it were exactly like it is now except required 50.0 credits (instead of 16.0) for a free flight. But would you really still like it then?

Which, of course, begs the question of whether we'll still like it once Rapid Rewards 2.0 comes out next year. And whether, depending on how Rapid Rewards 2.0 actually turns out to work, whether the "tone" of this forum will stay as is or not...
FWIW, the tone of the JetBlue forum did not change noticeably when they switched to TrueBlue2, a program very much like what I expect for RR 2.0. The tone is set primarily by the online personalities of posters, and that will not change, at least not overnight.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I disagree. The tone is set by our outstanding moderators.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lougord99
I disagree. The tone is set by our outstanding moderators.
Having been on both sides in the last year, I think it's a mix of both.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Smile

Originally Posted by jackal
Having been on both sides in the last year, I think it's a mix of both.
Agree, the UA mods have aggressively deleted UA bashing & negative energy posts which is pervasive there. FT mirrors RL (real life) & it's a tough day for UA folks. Be glad to be in WN world!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Agree, the UA mods have aggressively deleted UA bashing & negative energy posts which is pervasive there. FT mirrors RL (real life) & it's a tough day for UA folks. Be glad to be in WN world!
You do realize the post you replied to is almost 5 years old don't you ^
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
But the thread was started by num1bearsfan, bringing back a very informative poster.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
I like to think our little corner of the forum, Alaska, is pretty darn representative of the Alaska Spirit that permeates our carrier--and by that, I mean friendly, welcoming, and helpful. We're also pretty laid-back and familial, and I've been fortunate to have met probably 75% of the regular posters in person and can call at least half good friends.

(And most questions are answered within an hour or two. More than six or so hours without a reply would be exceedingly rare...)
I'll give you credit for that. As an AA Gold who finds myself on AS once or twice a year, it's generally a pleasant experience all around. My two or three n00bish questions for the AS board over the years were answered kindly.

The fact I'm still responding this way in 2015 to a thread from 2010 is a good thing.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Smile

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You do realize the post you replied to is almost 5 years old don't you ^
Yes! But it's still holding water, haha.

Originally Posted by lougord99
... thread was started by num1bearsfan, bringing back a very informative poster.
Indeed, an oldie but today even more true than before with displeasure increasing elsewhere post-mergers. The worst here about post-merger FL RapidRewards years ago is seemingly the worst thing. Ah, bliss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.