Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

I saw my first non-trial wifi plane yesterday.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I saw my first non-trial wifi plane yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I spotted two(!!!) non-trial WiFi planes at PDX this morning. #457 and #458 were parked next to each other. The domes looked totally different on these two planes--more aerodynamic, kind of like a (very) mini 747 hump. They weren't the circular bubbles like the old ones have.

It's also interesting to note that I saw N644AS, Alaska's Row 44 trial plane. It still had the bubble, despite AS having selected Gogo.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Anyone hear if <insert provider that WN selected> plans on having or going to have a monthly plan available (like GoGo does)?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Wifi planes have become much more common since I started this thread in June. The implementation is happening fairly quickly. I counted 5 planes today with wifi domes just driving down the B concourse in one instance. It won't be long before the wifi is fleet wide..
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Wifi planes have become much more common since I started this thread in June. The implementation is happening fairly quickly. I counted 5 planes today with wifi domes just driving down the B concourse in one instance. It won't be long before the wifi is fleet wide..
There are 500+ planes in the fleet. It'll be a while. Are they still planning on sticking these on the -300s and -500s as well?

A monthly fee (or even yearly fee) like Gogo would be an excellent idea.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Has a set fee for Wifi been determined yet?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew LAS-MDW on an older plane with a new dome. Will update the post with tail # asap. Unfortunately asked the captain and FA where the Wifi decals were inside, and they said no wifi on the plane yet. Yes, I scaned for wifi just in case. Nothing.

I wonder why this one got installed but not turned on?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I flew LAS-MDW on an older plane with a new dome. Will update the post with tail # asap. Unfortunately asked the captain and FA where the Wifi decals were inside, and they said no wifi on the plane yet. Yes, I scaned for wifi just in case. Nothing.

I wonder why this one got installed but not turned on?
Something like this happened to me last year. Only my plane had the bubble, Wifi decals, cards and everything else, but according to the FA, "the guts hadn't been installed yet." So, I suspect they probably do the major mods (like cut the hole in the fuselage), then stick the other stuff in there at a later date.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:11 pm

i just wonder if this technology is going to be dead almost before it starts. with the advent of smartphones and all the features they pack, it seems installing this in all the planes might be an exercise i n futility.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:53 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

3G smart phones access the internet via the cell phone network, and you aren't allowed to use the cell phone network while on a plane.

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Has a set fee for Wifi been determined yet?
Wifi info page says:
The service currently ranges from $2 to $12 for each segment of your trip—depending on the distance you are traveling and the type of device you are using to connect...
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by sctn8gp
i just wonder if this technology is going to be dead almost before it starts. with the advent of smartphones and all the features they pack, it seems installing this in all the planes might be an exercise i n futility.
That's all well and good, except 3G doesn't reach 30,000+ feet above the ground.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
That's all well and good, except 3G doesn't reach 30,000+ feet above the ground.
maybe so, a couple of years ago who would have thought you could even get internet on your cell phone.
http://www.gogoinflight.com/gogo/cms/work.do
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by sctn8gp
a couple of years ago who would have thought you could even get internet on your cell phone
Eh? I had one that could do that 15 years ago, and the cell system is designed to be line-of-sight and it's well, cellular, and not set up to handle the tens or hundreds of cells you can reach from post-departure-check height.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:00 am

Sadly, Delta has me hooked by having nearly their whole mainline fleet configured for wifi. I was really looking forward to taking advantage of the cheap nonstop flights that WN is now offering from MSP to PHX, but DL price matched the fares. I really want to give WN the business, but I just can't pass up wifi on a 3hr flight.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:39 pm

Is there a communicated WiFi conversion schedule?

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Just paid $5.00 for a PDX - OAK WiFi session. I fly frequently but that was the first time I was on a WN WiFi enabled plane. I liked it! Got me to wonder what Southwest is saying about when the fleet will be WiFi ready. Have they published goals for how many planes per month will get WiFi moving forward?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:47 pm

Did you happen to notice if there were any bulk-session offers available when you signed up? (And/or, did you get the name of the provider?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.