Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

new chase southwest airlines cc promo - refer a friend

Old May 29, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Just got this new chase southwest airlines cc promo in the mail. It came with 4 little cards to give to friends. If they sign up for a new southwest credit card they get a free flight and I get 4 credits in my account. The issue is that all of the cards I am supposed to give to my friends have MY southwest rapid rewards number on it. I understand the caller needs to supply my number so I get the credits posted. Isn't this dangerous though? What is to stop an unscrupulous "friend" from calling Southwest and getting my information or credits? Should I be concerned?????????

Last edited by curbcrusher; May 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm Reason: clarified title
Old May 29, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by lauriellovestravel
Just got this new chase southwest airlines cc promo in the mail. It came with 4 little cards to give to friends. If they sign up for a new southwest credit card they get a free flight and I get 4 credits in my account. The issue is that all of the cards I am supposed to give to my friends have MY southwest rapid rewards number on it. I understand the caller needs to supply my number so I get the credits posted. Isn't this dangerous though? What is to stop an unscrupulous "friend" from calling Southwest and getting my information or credits? Should I be concerned?????????
Well for one, I think if you're actually concerned about that, you need to change your definition of the word "friend".

Beyond that, I don't think your RR# is enough information to get anything sensitive from RR customer service. And credits can't be transferred anyway.

Last edited by mritty; May 29, 2010 at 5:19 pm Reason: addendum.
Old May 30, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If you know the PNR and name on the account you could do some serious damage, including canceling someone's boarding pass at the last minute.

I think.

Never tried to use money from a canceled/changed flight (knowing PNR and name) without logging in first; don't know if that would work.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I believe that it's been pointed out that a person with malicious intent could in theory read the PNR and name off Mr. A21's BP at the gate area, cancel their BP via wireless phone/laptop, then immediately check themself in and snag A21. It is certainly possible but there does have to be a level of trust. If you're really worried about somebody doing damage with your RR# then treat them as an authorized user on your CC: you wouldn't put just anybody on your account unless you felt they were somebody you could trust.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:17 pm

Targeted Refer a Friend RR Promo

I just received a solicitation in the mail with a refer a friend promo for the Southwest Credit Card.

I suspect this is targeted to travelers like myself in the highly competitive DEN market.

The applicant gets 16 RR credits. The person making the referral gets 8 credits.

You can get credit for up to four referrals.

PM me for more info.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Just got this as well

I just got this as well. It really seems like a solid promo.

New accounts get a free flight, and the referrer gets 4 per new account. I passed this along to several family members.

One may want to be sure that newbies to SW get a RR account before calling--though I assume you can get one with Chase reps during sign up. Signed my parents up for RR first.

Couples can apply separately if feasible, to receive a respective flight.

I've even offered to pay the annual fee for a few; two more to go.

Working towards that CP qualification--might as well have another promo, just in case the targeted spending promo from Chase comes up short .

Last edited by JeffLewis2; Jun 4, 2010 at 9:10 am
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Wife and I received solicitations for this promo today. We think it looks great and will definitely try to take advantage. I have two questions: 1) Is there an annual fee the first year or is it waived for the first year? and 2) is there NO minimum purchase amount required for the recipient to receive the free ticket? I read all of the fine print and didn't see anything addressing these two issues. I think SW in being unusually generous with this offer.
Hats off to them!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:18 am
Original Member

There is an annual fee of $59 with this promotion. Just a "first purchase" required, but no minimum on that purchase.

My referrals have to pay it, at least until they call to cancel the card--which they are inclined to do. However, I reminded them that they get a free flight for $59, which isn't a bad deal.

Sometimes folks don't see the value of the card in relation to the fee, as there are so many cards these days without any fees.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffLewis2
There is an annual fee of $59 with this promotion. Just a "first purchase" required, but no minimum on that purchase.

My referrals have to pay it, at least until they call to cancel the card--which they are inclined to do. However, I reminded them that they get a free flight for $59, which isn't a bad deal.

Sometimes folks don't see the value of the card in relation to the fee, as there are so many cards these days without any fees.
And 2 credits annually on renewal, and Signature benefits, which are worth a little.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone ever tried to use one of these referrals to "refer" someone who is a secondary on an existing WN Visa card account?

My wife and mother-in-law are secondaries already on mine.

I'd get each of them their own card if that would work. Would love the wife's spend to be separated out from mine that way.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And 2 credits annually on renewal, and Signature benefits, which are worth a little.
Yes, I need to tell them about the renewal credits. Thanks.

Signing them up for RR gave them 2 credits each, as well.

Their response to the "other benefits" (e.g., signature benefits) was to ask if these are any different from their no-fee Platinum cards through USAA and their credit union.

Have a feeling that they will, nevertheless, cancel after credits are rewarded (parents doing it for the kids more or less).

Wonder if they still prorate a refund of the annual fee? It's been quite a while since I've called to cancel a card due to the annual fee.

JL2
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
At one time, wasn't there a Chase WN card that one could get 32 credits?? Is that still available -- a much better deal than 16 - which is still very good.

My spouse has a WN card and I do not. Guess I could be the friend and get the 16 credits and she would get 4 -- all for $59. Or am I not considered a first time RR Cardmember because I had a WN Chase card about a year or so ago??
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:24 pm

I got this offer too. If anyone uses me as a referral, I can throw a little something back to you. PM me for details.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:23 am

Does anyone have the phone number that the person I'm referring should call? None of the people I gave them to used it, and now I have several people who want to sign up, but Chase refuses to tell me what the promotion phone number is.

Also, are there any other codes they need when calling in besides my RR# and name? Like promo codes etc? I can't remember what was listed on the card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:18 am
Original Member

well, a quick report. good and bad.

Both of my parents called referral number for a new card and bonus to the referrer.

They were scrupulous with details via phone application. I gave the written instructions with all pertinent info. Two separate applications. Two separate calls.

Well, both got the cards, but my father has still not received his 16 bonus credits (even after statement generates) and there is "no record" of this bonus or a referral bonus. Getting the wait 4-6 weeks line--has anyone else had to wait this long (after first statement generates)?

Both called the referral number on the promotion cards.

Way to go Chase. Now, still after about two hours of follow up calls and talking to SWA RR, still nothing "of record" to show for my fathers account. No 16 bonus, no referral bonus to us.

Of course my mom's 16 credits hit, as did those on our own cards, right when the statement generates...

Parents are always leery of these "promos" and this experience certainly hasn't helped. Feeling ripped off.

Any other similar experiences or advice? Contact Chase or SWA more?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.