what is a LUV voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

what is a LUV voucher?

What is a LUV voucher? thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Effectively a gift card that Southwest gives you under various circumstances (as an apology for something they did wrong, as compensation when you voluntarily take a bump, etc). It can't be redeemed for cash, and can only be used toward the cost of a future flight.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mritty
Effectively a gift card that Southwest gives you under various circumstances (as an apology for something they did wrong, as compensation when you voluntarily take a bump, etc). It can't be redeemed for cash, and can only be used toward the cost of a future flight.
thank you. do you have to purchase the flight for the person who is named on the LUV voucher or can you purchase a ticket for a spouse or child?

also, there is an expiration date. does that date go for the purchase of the ticket? or when the ticket has to be used?

thansk!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
You do not have to use it for a flight for the same person. So long as you have the voucher number and passcode, you can use it for a flight for anyone.

All travel must be complete by the expiration date of the voucher.

http://www.southwest.com/luv_voucher...onditions.html for more info.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Do you still receive points when using a luv voucher ?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by poser
Yes, I believe so.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mritty
You do not have to use it for a flight for the same person. So long as you have the voucher number and passcode, you can use it for a flight for anyone.

All travel must be complete by the expiration date of the voucher.

http://www.southwest.com/luv_voucher...onditions.html for more info.
That link generates a 404 error. Of course, searching the WN website for "LUV Voucher terms and conditions" brings up a ton of links, none of which are the actual LUV Voucher terms and conditions.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
That link generates a 404 error. Of course, searching the WN website for "LUV Voucher terms and conditions" brings up a ton of links, none of which are the actual LUV Voucher terms and conditions.
Here's an updated link: http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...s/fop-pol.html
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hmmm... those terms specifically state multiple times that LUV Vouchers are good for travel only on Southwest Airlines and may not be used towards travel wholly or in part on other carriers. Does this mean you can't book an AirTran codeshare through the WN website using a LUV voucher? Or are the terms and conditions simply outdated?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Definitely. I've done it many times.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:34 pm

Yes. My last $1,200 of non-business travel has been with LUV voucher from bumps. I have always received the points. I took an AM flight over the weekend and the points were in my account that night.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Hmmm... those terms specifically state multiple times that LUV Vouchers are good for travel only on Southwest Airlines and may not be used towards travel wholly or in part on other carriers. Does this mean you can't book an AirTran codeshare through the WN website using a LUV voucher? Or are the terms and conditions simply outdated?
Elsewhere in the WN FAQ about "AirTran/Southwest Network Connectivity":

Can all forms of payment be used?

All forms of payment currently accepted will continue to be accepted, with the exception of paper tickets.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
Elsewhere in the WN FAQ about "AirTran/Southwest Network Connectivity":
So, completely ambiguous, as usual.

Real world: Anyone used a LUV voucher to book a shared itinerary? (I assume so, just wondering.)
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yes, I believe so.
Originally Posted by nsx
Definitely. I've done it many times.
Originally Posted by AnonymosGirl
Yes. My last $1,200 of non-business travel has been with LUV voucher from bumps. I have always received the points. I took an AM flight over the weekend and the points were in my account that night.
Thanks! I'm inching closer to A-List preferred and would rather not "waste" a flight.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:07 am

I got bumped this summer and got a LUV voucher, which I used to reserve a flight.

Now the price has gone down and I'd like to get a price match.

If I change the reservation to get this new lower price, will the refund come back to my original LUV voucher, or be regular Unused Travel Funds???

Does anyone know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.