FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   How early does BDL check-in start? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1072179-how-early-does-bdl-check-start.html)

baglab Apr 8, 2010 11:44 am

How early does BDL check-in start?

I have a 6 a.m. flight out of BDL. What times does check-in open? I will have luggage to check ... will curbside be open early? I will be staying at the airport hotel, so only have to walk a few feet in the morning :):):). Flight is on a Weds. ... any issues w/getting through security? Any help would be appreciated.

pieper Apr 8, 2010 12:01 pm

Since the TSA is quite organized at BDL (changed a lot the last year or 2), going through security is usually a breeze there, even if the lines look long, AM or PM.
I assume you fly US, which (with UA) is on your way to security coming from the Sheraton. (Delta and CO are next to security on the other side). Since you stay at the Sheraton, if you leave your room (latest)at 5AM you should be able to check out, check luggage, go through security and still be at the gate before boarding starts.

Sorry, noticed too late: see you fly Southwest, counter on same side of CO/Delta, count 2 extra minutes walk to check-in

SWABrian Apr 8, 2010 2:13 pm

According to our Reservations computer, the BDL Ticket counter opens at 4:30am Monday through Friday and at 5:00am on Saturday and Sunday.

baglab Apr 9, 2010 4:27 am

Thanks Brian ... that is very helpful. I have not taken such an early SW flight before. I will confirm when I get to the hotel the night before.

SWABrian Apr 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Just as an FYI, BDL evidently is an early to bed, early to rise station. The Ticket Counter closes at 7:30 pm, I think--I'm at home and don't have access to the Res computer, but I remember being surprised at the early closing. Of course Ops, Ramp, and Baggage Service are open until after the last arrival, but the counter itself is closed.

ftnoob Apr 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 13735247)
According to our Reservations computer...

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 13746749)
I'm at home and don't have access to the Res computer...

Any chance this info could be added to the airport information pages so that you (and SWA's customers!) could have online access to this info wherever they have an Internet connection? This issue has come up in the past:

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 11948523)
While we're on the general topic of improving the on site check-in experience: another thing that is needed is communication of counter operating hours...

See also this thread.

baglab Apr 11, 2010 5:52 am

Ftnoob, I second your suggestions. I tried looking for the info everywhere... Southwest pages, BDL website, etc. ... it's just not there. I knew I wasn't the first person to ask this question. I am enjoying flying Southwest, and their website is consumer-friendly, and this info would just make it better.

SWABrian Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Well, the airport information pages at southwest.com had the same and more information than the reservations computer, with the exception of the ticket counter times. That may be for a specific reason, but I will ask. However, the counter times aren't as critical as they used to be because folks buy most tickets online. Counters are always open in advance of the scheduled first departure, and generally if folks aren't traveling on a flight that day they don't go to the counter anymore.
Brian

Firewind Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Maybe it's a policy issue: Does Southwest want to discourage counter use?

I suggest that the counter is a last resort for all manner of issues (sometimes too many, and too often it's a first resort, to be sure, but that's another topic**).

I also suggest that, vastly in the main, web ticket purchase replaces 1-800-IFLYSWA telephone ticketing. Counter purchase not so much.

There are still many Southwest customers - especially - who don't have computers.

Most airlines have always posted their ticket counter opening hours.

** On proofread: This actually adds value to the idea of publishing opening hours as an aid to mitigating the longer lines caused by those who use the counter as a first resort.

baglab Apr 23, 2010 6:20 am

SWA Brian (and others), may I check the bag in late the night before? So I don't have to lug it in the morning? How late/early is curbside? Thanks.

KChar Apr 23, 2010 6:33 am

Since you are staying at the Sheraton in the airport, perhaps they have a luggage check in option?

formeraa Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 13755962)
Well, the airport information pages at southwest.com had the same and more information than the reservations computer, with the exception of the ticket counter times. That may be for a specific reason, but I will ask. However, the counter times aren't as critical as they used to be because folks buy most tickets online. Counters are always open in advance of the scheduled first departure, and generally if folks aren't traveling on a flight that day they don't go to the counter anymore.
Brian

Brian, I generally agree with your comment. My only issue is for the first flight of the morning in a strange city (e.g. on a business trip). My question would be whether there is a general rule, i.e. counter will always be open at least 90 minutes before the first scheduled departure.

The worst thing for me is to show up at 4am and the counter doesn't open until 4:30am. I know that counter opening hours probably change frequently due to scheduling variances, but it would help to know the general rule.

SWABrian Apr 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Our Marketing folks tell me the times are on some station pages. They will be adding them to all the pages, and they aren't sure why this wasn't done originally.

ftnoob Apr 23, 2010 12:59 pm

I agree with several points made above by Firewind and fail to see how web site ticket purchases could reduce the need to publish counter hours.

More relevant excerpts from the post already excerpted above:

At DEN Saturday morning we dutifully arrived earlier than the 90 minutes before flight time as suggested by SWA and found a long line that appeared to be crawling at best...Eventually we realized...the ticket counter was not yet open, and we saw no signage indicating the hours.
It turned out the counter opened only 60 minutes before our flight. I don't know about general rules but clearly we can't even count on the counter being open at the time SWA says we need to be at the airport. That's not very considerate toward customers.

Aside to mods: can/should the title be modified to reflect this is now a general topic rather than BDL-specific?

tusphotog Apr 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by baglab (Post 13827992)
SWA Brian (and others), may I check the bag in late the night before? So I don't have to lug it in the morning? How late/early is curbside? Thanks.

I think luggage check is 4 hours before a flight. So, no, you won't be able to. But trust me, as a veteran of many Oh Dark Thirty flights on WN, on both coasts and in the middle, it's usually pretty calm at the airport. An airport like BDL, with relatively few flights, should be an easy in, easy out airport.