Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Air NZ proposal to Southwest!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:46 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting Air NZ proposal to Southwest!!

Check out this YouTube clip of Air NZ's proposal / dare to Southwest ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfETl...layer_embedded
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:24 am

Air New Zealand challenges Southwest

This is too funny. Being a native Texan (y'all) - it was a little hard to understand the New Zealand accent and I had to watch it several times, but I think this is the gist of the challenge. (All hyperlinks are to youtube videos.)

Air New Zealand has an ad campaign - At Air New Zealand, Our Fares Have Nothing to Hide. It's very similar to WN's No Hidden Fees campaign.

Nothing to Hide commercial where all the employees were nude, but they appeared to be dressed (in skin-tight clothing) because of body paint.

Awhile back, in conjuction with the ad campaign, Air New Zealand filmed some safety videos called the Bare Essentials of Safety.

Boeing 737-300 Safety Video

Knowing how fun-loving & outrageous WN folks can be, Air New Zealand's CEO has challenged Herb to find 10 of his most extroverted WN cabin crew members and fly with them to New Zealand and join 10 of Air New Zealand's cabin crew members to film the Bare Essentials of Safety Video Musical. It would include a little rap, a little country, some showtunes, be choreographed and of course, would involve body paint.

The video challenge (from two nude Air New Zealand cabin crew in body paint) has been posted on youtube.

A message for Herb Kelleher and Southwest from the Air New Zealand nothing to hide team.

I think Air New Zealand's "Nothing to Hide" Team really would tie in nicely with Southwest's "No Hidden Fees" campaign. And hey - maybe Southwest could talk to Air New Zealand about a possible code share later on down the line.

They're expecting your call, Herb.

I double-dawg dare ya!

Grab Your Bag. It's ON!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
You watch. Southwest is going to counter with...

Herb and Colleen.

Mark my words. As they say, "half humor, whole serious!"
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Didn't Herb retire some time back?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Well, he did come out of *retirement* to face a hostile congressional committee, a few months back. Wouldn't it be just like him to see facing a horde of painted bodies as kinda the same? What's Maori for "It's on!"?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:05 am

Back on topic, has anyone tried to get to the - ahem - bottom of this? Is it for real? In this era of calls by radio personalities to vice presidential candidates, and silver balloons, the question must be asked. SWABrian, heard anything?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
The info is circulating around through the FA's, some with an interest in taking them up on the offer.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:07 am

From WFAA - the ABC affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth:

Southwest Airlines responds to 'Bare Essentials' challenge

And from youtube

Southwest Airlines Shows Air New Zealand Some LUV
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:25 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
and on our blog:
http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/so...aland-some-luv
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:48 am

Thumbs up It's On*

* So far.

When I saw NZ's pod, knowing Southwest, I thought the response would come right from the top. Bingo. (Actually, knowing Southwest a little bit, there probably were many suggested from many directions. Those will be fun to see in the next rounds.**)

Bravo, Southwest.

Like I said, SWABrian, it looks (or did at the House of Blues here) like two of the requirements for employment at Southwest are to be able to sing and to move. So, will we see you sing? (Welcome back. You didn't have to work so hard to prove what you said about moving... )

BTW, wasn't that Lindsey at her desk in the TV report? Hi, Lindsey.

** But I'd love to see the out-takes...

Last edited by Firewind; Dec 15, 2009 at 10:00 am
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:05 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Firewind
* So far.

When I saw NZ's pod, knowing Southwest, I thought the response would come right from the top. Bingo. (Actually, knowing Southwest a little bit, there probably were many suggested from many directions. Those will be fun to see in the next rounds.**)

Bravo, Southwest.

Like I said, SWABrian, it looks (or did at the House of Blues here) like two of the requirements for employment at Southwest are to be able to sing and to move. So, will we see you sing? (Welcome back. You didn't have to work so hard to prove what you said about moving... )

BTW, wasn't that Lindsey at her desk in the TV report? Hi, Lindsey.

** But I'd love to see the out-takes...
It was Christi. But Lindsey is the next cube over
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Didn't Herb retire some time back?
Yes, he did. He has been already retired from CEO by few years ago. Gary will be takeover by replaceable of Herb Kelleher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.