Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Virgin America and jetBlue fare sale thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Virgin America and jetBlue fare sale thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
VX has another 3 day sale started. Wait WN to match, so that I can cut the points spent on MDW-SFO flight.
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/exit...EM_elevate8491
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Virgin America has a 3-day sale offering $65 SFO-LAX: http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/booking/fare-sale
Several other major markets are included at different prices.

Southwest has grudgingly offered a partial match: $69 SFO-LAX but no price break yet for OAK-LAX.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:18 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The match has improved: SFO-FAX is now $65, same as VX. OAK-LAX is $20 higher.

Two years ago Southwest would routinely add only $10 for OAK when matching an SFO fare sale, and the matches would occur more quickly. Southwest is signaling its displeasure with these fare sales. As a customer, I hope VX has an endless supply of money to throw at these markets in the form of deeply discounted fares.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:10 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nsx
As a customer, I hope VX has an endless supply of money to throw at these markets in the form of deeply discounted fares.
Funny that I said that. The very next day Time magazine published an article on how much money Virgin America is losing:

low price is overwhelmingly important to leisure travelers. Speaking of competitors, they have regularly jumped into markets where Virgin America is operating, making it difficult if not impossible for Virgin America to be profitable.

Mostly, Virgin America seems to have misread what travelers wanted most, and what they were willing to pay for. “They had an assumption that consumers would choose product quality over price and convenience and network carriers responded with force,” Hunter Keay, an analyst at Wolfe Trahan & Co., explained to Bloomberg.
since 2007 Virgin America has posted a net loss of $671 million, and an operating loss of $447 million. More recently, Bloomberg News reported that after large net losses in the second quarter of 2012, the airline would be cutting back flights and asking employees to take voluntary work leaves in early 2013.
I hope Branson keeps throwing his money into VX, but I suspect the game may be over by the end of 2013. When that happens this thread is likely to die for lack of any new low fares.

Southwest's move into SFO can be interpreted in retrospect as an attempt to prevent VX from gaining sufficient traction. If so, it appears to have worked.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like a new JetBlue sale through tomorrow 11/14:

https://www.jetblue.com/deals/the-go...y-length-sale/

$49/$89/$129
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Does Southwest match promos with Virgin?

Have a few intra-California flights to make shortly and wondered if SW would come down to the $69 fares. Don't fly SW much, hoping someone with more background might know.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:58 am

Yes, they often fare-match intra-CA routes.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:11 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Merged. FWIW fares to socal ex-OAK are semi-matched at $11 higher than SFO.

It will be a sad day when VX goes out of business. I'm grateful that Branson loves his airlines so much.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:26 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

JetBlue has a nice 2-day sale today and tomorrow, and Southwest appears to be matching it:

http://www2.jetblue.com/deals/the-br...resh-air-sale/

Book by April 10, 2013 (the earlier of 11:59 PM ET or local time).
Travel April 16 through June 19, 2013
The routes I checked were offered M-Th and Sat only.

Be aware that Southwest often ends its match on East Coast time.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:08 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hmmm. Southwest appears to be signaling its displeasure with this sale by adding $10 to the fare, which is typical, and by cutting a week off the travel period, to June 12 only.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Did you see this NSX?

Got elite status on United Airlines, American Airlines or Southwest Airlines? Upgrade to ElevateŽ Gold or ElevateŽ Silver on the airline that makes flying good again.

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/stat...&stop_mobi=yes
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:26 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by joshua362
Did you see this NSX?

Got elite status on United Airlines, American Airlines or Southwest Airlines? Upgrade to ElevateŽ Gold or ElevateŽ Silver on the airline that makes flying good again.

Nice. If I flew out of SFO or if I didn't mind change/cancellation fees ($100 on VX!) I'd be all over it.

Incidentally, I discovered that Southwest's current stealth sale is matching VX's fares and travel dates rather than JetBlue's. For some reason JetBlue added a week to the travel period and subtracted $10 from the fares. Or VX subtracted from the period and added to the fares. I'm not sure who started the current sale except that I'm sure it wasn't the new Southwest.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Did you see this NSX?

Companion Pass = Gold, but A-List and A-List Preferred = Silver? Do they not understand how Southwest elite tiers work?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Nice. If I flew out of SFO or if I didn't mind change/cancellation fees ($100 on VX!) I'd be all over it.
No change fees for Elevate Gold.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
No change fees for Elevate Gold.
No change fees on award tickets or no change fees in general? I couldn't find the latter on this chart:

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/stat...tiers_benefits

Last edited by FlyingBear; Apr 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.