Wiki Posts
Search

How to get 0.5 Credits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
How to get 0.5 Credits

So I'm short 0.5 credits for an award ticket.
Any simple ways to earn this. I'm guessing a car rental or hotel stay?
Don't really want another credit card!

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:53 pm

A rental car most likely. If Alamo is convenient to you, there's the $10/day rate mentioned in what's currently the last post of the rental car discussion at the top of this forum. That post says you needed to make the booking by Aug. 20, but the link http://www.alamo.com/index.do?action...y10andUpV2_A_T now says it can be made by Aug. 25. Keep it over a Saturday night, not available Labor Day Weekend, complete it by Sept. 21.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: SWA
1. sign up for SWA dining program.
2. charge $200 on a gift card form a participating restaurant that you patronize.
3. get .5 RR points

If the signup bonus is still going on, you will get .25 RR for first $25 charge, another $.25 RR for $100 charge.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Why rent just any old car for 0.5 credit when you can rent from Hertz for 1.0 credit?

I'll admit I rent from National (no credit) out of habit, but when National's rates appear too high, Hertz' web site is my next stop.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:41 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I would love to get an education on rental cars. They have become outrageous in price. Now, I understand why you might pick one brand of hotel or one brand of airline over another. I do not understand why you would pick a rental car brand over anything other than price. What is the difference between Hertz, National, Budget or Avis? They all give airline points. They all have fast track pickups.

On that basis, I never rent from Hertz. They are never the least expensive. What is the reason that you rent from a company like Hertz?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
One of the reasons I rent from National is that their own rental points are actually extremely valuable for my personal renting patterns - I value a rental credit within National's program at about $12.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by lougord99

On that basis, I never rent from Hertz. They are never the least expensive. What is the reason that you rent from a company like Hertz?
I beg to differ about earlier this year, when they offered a free weekend day with no minimum; I had a one-day rental for free, about $4 in taxes. Also, before I got my own GPS, I booked with Hertz to be sure of getting one; other companies had it subject to availability.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by lougord99
What is the reason that you rent from a company like Hertz?
Never is not true -- you have to price your options at the time. For Hertz always check out Southwest's current partner deals which often includes a discount as well as the double credit.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Never is not true -- you have to price your options at the time. For Hertz always check out Southwest's current partner deals which often includes a discount as well as the double credit.
I shop the car rental deals carefully. Sometimes Hertz is best (especially with that quad promo of a few months ago). Very rarely Avis or Enterprise. It used to be mostly Budget. Thrifty/National on occasion. But my last three have been Alamo.

So I can't discern a "best" company, at least on my trip patterns.

I highly value RR credits, so that might skew it a bit for me. Just had a 3-day Alamo compact at SDF for $45 plus taxes/fees and got 1.5 RR credits. That is a deal in my book.

Back to the OP's question:

Probably the $10 Alamo one-day rental is your quickest. Or sign up for the WN Visa if you have some time.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Use best western promotion

Best western has a promo going on for .5 credits for every $100 in gift cards purchased through 8/31. If you ever stay at best western hotels I would just buy a $100 gift card online through the promo for the 1/2 credit and use it next time you stay at Best Western. You will stay get the 1/2 credit for the stay and if you use your SWA visa you get the double points on the purchase as well.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
If you have swa visa card and your billing closing date is within the range,
then spending $1200=1 rr credit

you can buy dollar coin in face value via US Mint free shipping program.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-shipping.html

Last edited by zzyzx; Sep 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I reserved a compact from Alamo this morning for my wife to pick up at 3:30 pm at CLE.

$10 plus fees and no advance requirement.

Someone posted elsewhere here that this deal might be done, but it's still on as of today in CLE.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: tug
what code did you use for the $10 rental?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
You don't say whether or not you have an Amex card that earns MR points. If so, then transferring 1500 points will get you 1.0 RR credits, giving you the 0.5 you need now and then leaving you 0.5 on the way to your next free flight.

The nice thing about moving MR points to RR is that the transfers happen instantaneously. Even if you didn't have 1500 available MR points, there are a couple of other options, either of which can also be done instantly:

1. If one of the MR-linked cards is a charge card, then you can borrow points for free against future purchases,

2. You can purchase MR points at $0.025 each. So, 1.0 RR credits would be $37.50. About twice as expensive as the car rental option you found, but it would post instantly and not involve the time it takes to rent and return a car.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
The cost for $10/day Alamo rental is not that attractive in SJC, where the car rental is charged $10/rental for the facility and transportation cost. The $10/day Alamo rental would be hitting upper $20's with the taxes, fees included.

Rental from some other cities may also see big extra fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.