Wiki Posts
Search

OT: January weather: LA or Miami

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:20 am
Original Poster

OT: January weather: LA or Miami

Hi All,

As there are some frequent travellers on this board I thought I would start here. We are planning to leave baby MANCHESTER with the grandparents for a week in January & go for a week of relaxation in Florida or LA area. Have been to both before so know what to expect, apart from the weather. Both seem ok weather wise, but not too warm. If we fancy a bit of pool & beach are either viable or is one or both generally too cold?

Many thanks
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Skymiles Plat
Miami would be my choice.

I lived in San Diego for 3 years and the weather is about 68-70F in Jan.
I was based in Miami for 2 years while working for one of the cruise lines, and it's always 80F in Jan. Also doesn't suffer much rain at this time of year.

Hope that helps.
Mark
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Jan pool/sun-bathing in MIA is fine. Consider FLL which is quieter and cheap than MIA and is 1 hours drive from MIA.

You really need a heated pool for LAX and even then, I would say you would only have 3/4 hours when it is warm enough to lie in the sun - say from 11am to about 2:30pm-ish. It is warmer if you drive out to Palm Springs (its a valley desert) or LAS (sunny from 10am - 3pm). It will be very cold at nights.

If you pick the right hip/trendy hotel and the right Sunday night in LAX, its the golden globe awards so all the stars are in town. A few years ago, we were sunning ourselves for an of hour of so next to Reese Witherspoon.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Miami for sun try the Delano, Shore club, Setai, Standard hotels miami has a good pool beach life in dec jan feb!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
Watch the prices when you go - the Superbowl is in Miami at the end of January/beginning of February with the build up the weeks before so you might want to drive a little South of Miami towards the Keys get the better prices but keep the sun
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Agreed. I lived in LA for two years and have been to Miami quite a few times - although really preferred it in the mid-90s when South Beach was happening.

In LA no one goes to the beach in January (although if you are lucky it could be sunny and around 70 in the middle of the afternoon). On the other hand, plenty of people fly from New York to Miami at that time of year principally so they can go to the beach: December to March is pretty much peak season there.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

thanks all, MIA it is then! Think I'm too old for SOBE now, so may try Key Biscayne or Fort Lauderdale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Another vote for Miami if you want beach and sunning time.

That said they can have some much cooler weather - down into the 50/60's, even 30s at night - so pack a sweater along with those speedos!! And the humidity's not so high so that makes it feel cooler

I'd also recommend FLL, just an hour's drive north of Miami. Great beach, good shopping and dining, and quieter than MIA. Though I'm not sure it's any cheaper these days. Lots of high end properties now line the FLL Beach Blvd. December/January are peak of peak season so expect hotel rates to be at their very highest.

PM if I can help (lived in FLL for 5+ years).
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:18 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
thanks all, MIA it is then! Think I'm too old for SOBE now, so may try Key Biscayne or Fort Lauderdale
Also 3 hours less Jet-Leg for MIA than LAX..however be aware Luxury Beach Hotels in MIA can be 200 Quid or More in Jan.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Looking around, BA seem to have a very good deal at the Mandarin Oriental Miami & was looking at the Ritz Carlton for Fort Lauderdale, which does not seem too bad either (ie <$500). Loads of F availability, so will get booking!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Another vote for Florida, but I'd also recommend Fort Lauderdale. Miami is glitzy and has it's advantages, but I love Fort Lauderdale too. The weather reports in here I can attest to - the rain holds off and while you can get a drop in temps Feb/March, January really can be perfect.

From MIA, it's about a 30 min drive direct to Ft Lauderdale Beach if all is good.

The Ritz Carlton is indeed nice - but also look at the W Fort Lauderdale...very cool architecture and lovely 'Living Room' bar. W Miami is now open too. The Mondrian is nice - younger, loungy crowd in the evenings, great pool on the bay side. Since you're ditching the kid, I thought a more 'vibrant' hotel like the W's (rather than the Ritz) would be a possibility.

Restaurant Recommendation: Chima is a great restaurant on Las Olas nearby both the Ritz & W (all you can eat Brazilian steakhouse, good wine list, caipirinha's, incredible salad bar, etc). If you like good, inexpensive Mexican, "Carlos and Pepes" on 17th St is also a great experience.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'd suggest Miami, driving down the Keys to try http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

Most relaxing.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
I'd suggest Miami, driving down the Keys to try http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

Most relaxing.
MIA! Rent car! Drive down to Keys!

The concept of a relaxing beach interlude in the Miami area is much diminished by the sort of folk who stay in high rise hotels and go to the beach there. There are plenty of resorts in the Upper Keys, and the pleasant and highly interesting (Well, much of it!) drive down to Key West opens a venue unique in the US.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:04 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP has settled on Florida, and all the recent discussion has settled there as well, let me move this to our Travel->Florida forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MANCHESTER

OP, MIA/FLL can get chilly (non beach) weather in January. In fact, there will be sure to have at least some 15C or below days. My suggestion is that if your heart is set on a beach experience try San Juan, Puerto Rico. Also, Rio and fares as of late have been cheaper to South America (at least from the US).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.