Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeing the Everglades from Naples

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Seeing the Everglades from Naples

I've got an overnight in the Naples / Fort Myers area coming up and am considering a trip to the Everglades, but don't really want to drive across to the Miami side of the park. I see another thread here about airboat operator recommendations - but the questions / answers there seem to all be Miami-side, and I also see various comments about Shark Alley which also sounds quite something.

But is there anything like those coming in from the Everglades City end? Trail walks, hire-a-bike, airboat rides etc?
Old May 10, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
There is a Visitors Center in Everglades City. http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/gcdirections.htm

They have enacted severe regulations on the air boat operators. The air boat rides are not what they used to be. Of course, if you haven't ever been on an air boat then you won't know the difference. There are air boat operators on the Naples side. There will be plenty of tourist brochures for them in Naples.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:45 am

There are places south of Marco Island (not far at all) but I would not do an airboat ride. Very noisy and you don't see alot. We did that and a "swamp buggy". Big thing on huge tires caged in so that bugs and snakes and things wouldn't get on you. I saw some amazing plants and really got a feel for the 'glades. I'm a Floridian and if you've seen one alligator you 've seen 'em all. JMHO, Linda
Old May 12, 2009, 5:02 pm
In memoriam

I like Shark Valley - nice 15 mile loop you can do on a bike (I think there's also a tram that does the loop). OTOH - it is starting to get a little hot to enjoy a 15 mile bike ride without much in the way of shade. Robyn
Old May 15, 2009, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The *only* way to see the Everglades properly is at Shark Valley. Resist the urge to try an airboat ride - go to Shark Valley and take the tram tour, or ride a bike. You can even walk the loop if the weather is cool, the bugs aren't out and you have plenty of sunscreen and a rain poncho (and no thunderstorms are forecast).

Between mid-May and early November, I strongly recommend taking the tram tour (don't bike) and then walking the straight side of the loop a short distance to get up close and personal. During summer, the bugs are out (picture mosquitoes the size of horseflies whose sting feels like a blood test needle) and the possibility of dangerous afternoon thunderstorms is always lurking.

During winter, the air is cool and dry, there are no bugs and the gators are out sunning themselves near the road to stay warm.
Old May 15, 2009, 1:00 pm

I also recommend Shark Valley....great place!

Another great place is Cypress Bend at Fakahatchee Preserve
Check this:
http://www.friendsoffakahatchee.org/boardwalk.php
http://www.friendsoffakahatchee.org/

After this (on a Sunday) visit "Stan's Idle Hour" in Goodland, wich is nearby.
http://www.stansidlehour.net/

Stan's "Sunday Show" starts every Sunday at 1 pm. with a live country band and finishes at 6 or 7 pm., depending on the crowd. Join the locals and tourists as they eat, drink and dance! Stan sings and tells jokes, and around 4:30 pm, you can hear the 'guest singers'! It's an afternoon of fun and people watching!
Old May 15, 2009, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

OK, OK, Shark Valley, Shark Valley

My initial angle was not being free in Clearwater Beach until 1pm Wed (five days from now), having to be in Tampa at 11.30am Friday, and thinking the drive down the Gulf Coast Wed afternoon would be nice.

So I picked Naples as being close to the Western edge of the Everglades for my Wed. night's accommodation, and Fort Myers Thu. night. Having done that, I didn't much fancy the 170-odd mile round trip to Shark Valley and back to the Gulf Coast on the same day.

Still, it's probably a bit rich to be saying that, because as I type this I'm in NSN, about 5 hours away from leaving on a 9,500 mile series of flights to MCO!

I ramble.

Is Shark Valley worth a 75 mile drive from Naples, the tram ride, a walk, a general look around, and 95 miles back to Fort Myers, in the same day?

The alternative is some kind of airboat or swamp buggy ride nearer to Everglades City.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
Is Shark Valley worth a 75 mile drive from Naples, the tram ride, a walk, a general look around, and 95 miles back to Fort Myers, in the same day?.
Yes it is. Just take US41 across from Naples (don't take I-75). You might want to prebook the tram ride - they take reservations and can sell out.
Old May 17, 2009, 3:47 pm
In memoriam

I don't think it's worth that much driving. I think the Everglades is nice - but subtle. Not exactly like the fjords in Norway. I used to take day trips to Shark Valley from Miami - but wouldn't go 170 miles out of my way to get there. Robyn
Old May 17, 2009, 3:53 pm
In memoriam

Also - although US 41 is an interesting road to travel - it is mostly 2 lanes. You can get backed up behind a lot of traffic - which makes for slow going. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.