Wiki Posts
Search

Oklahoma City in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Oklahoma City in March

I'll be in OKC for 5 days in March for a convention, actually arriving one day early (it's part of a multi-city itinerary). First time visiting this city/state - any suggestions for places to eat/see/party/avoid/etc? I'll be on my own for the first day and then will have several of my grad school buddies there during the convention.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Funny; I've been searching this forum with the same question (perhaps we are going to the same convention?). So far, I've come up with Earl's Ribs Palace and Cattlemen's for places to eat, and the Bricktown area in general for some sight-seeing, as well as the memorial site.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Cool - thanks for the recommendations; we'll definitely check them out!

What convention are you going to - ACDA?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:25 pm

Yep; I suspected as much (OKC can't host that many conventions in March, can they? )

The choir I sing in will be performing: http://acda.org/conventions/2009/choirs/borromeo_choir
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is an interesting place to see.

Bricktown is definitely your best bet for nightlife. If you like beer, Tapwerks in bricktown is a great place to go.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The choir I sing in will be performing: http://acda.org/conventions/2009/choirs/borromeo_choir
Nice! I look forward to hearing your performance!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:59 pm

Oklahoma City Museum of Art

The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is quite nice. Dale Chihuly's wife was from OKC and there is a great display of his art at the museum. There is a Waterford/Dale Chihuly chandelier. It is one of two Chihuly Waterford Crystal Chandeliers in the world, is comprised of 203 individual blown lead crystal parts, each etched by Waterford artisans. The Chandelier is 9 ft., 7 inches in height, 5 ft., 5 inches in diameter, and weighs 2,000 pounds. It is mounted in the Noble Theater lobby in front of a fully mirrored wall. It may be viewed from the ground floor lobby or from the mezzanine lobby, which overlooks the theater lobby.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
I would recommend you take a few minutes to visit the memorial to the OKC bombing. It is a moving site, even if a little disturbing to remember.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by mwg25
I'll be in OKC for 5 days in March for a convention, actually arriving one day early (it's part of a multi-city itinerary). First time visiting this city/state - any suggestions for places to eat/see/party/avoid/etc? I'll be on my own for the first day and then will have several of my grad school buddies there during the convention.
Museum Cafe
Ranch Steakhouse
The Metro Wine Bar & Bistro (more bistro and less wine bar)
Deep Fork
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Bricktown is a safe bet for food, spirits, and sights. It can be busy if either the NBA team or the minor league hockey team is playing at home.

Another vote for Cattlemens in the Stockyards; very rustic, and a great steak.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:33 pm

In Bricktown, Nonna's is one of my favorite places for a nice dinner. It's right across the street from the Ballpark. If you're looking for a fun place to get a drink after dinner and enjoy some music, I'd go to Makers. They have live music most evenings. Over by Harkins Theater is Redpin Bowling--not your typical bowling alley. They have great food and drinks. It's best to call ahead to reserve a lane.

Another good place to go with friends is McNellie's Pub on 10th & Walker in Plaza Court. They have a huge selection of beer. Irma's is just a few doors down from McNellie's--it's a great place to get a burger. Also in the same area: 1492, a modern take on Mexican food, and Cafe do Brazil, authentic South American cuisine.

If you want to see a little more of the city, I'd really recommend going up Western between 40th & 50th. Dinner at Sushi Neko or the Wedge (great pizzeria!). Party at VZDs (check out their website to see if anyone's playing), Cafe Nova, or 51st St Speakeasy. There's also several boutiques and vintage shops along Western.

...the Art Musuem - they also have a theater in the museum (check what movies are playing at http://www.okcmoa.com/film)

...the Bombing Memorial - a must see

Enjoy OKC!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:37 pm

American Choral Directors to Hold a Peace Event at the OKC National Memorial

Originally Posted by Sweetone
I would recommend you take a few minutes to visit the memorial to the OKC bombing. It is a moving site, even if a little disturbing to remember.
"On Friday, March 6, 2009 at 9:02 a.m., the moment of the explosion that took place on April 19, 1995 and forever changed Oklahoma City, the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) will gather at the site of the National Memorial and Museum for a Peace Event led by choruses gathered from their membership. The public is invited to join conference attendees for this Peace Event which is free to all...

...In addition to brief choral presentations by the featured musicians and ensembles, the expected 3000-plus attendees will participate in an extraordinarily special collage of community singing, spoken word and shared silence."

http://acda.org/node/641
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I'm anything but a fan of the Sheraton Downtown, with the Marriott across the street being a better choice. Of the local hotels, even though a not always convenient location, my best experiences have been at the Waterford Marriott.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:36 am

I went to Cattlemen's last night; damn fine ribeye and don't get me started on the rolls. ^

Tonight will be Earl's Ribs Palace in Bricktown after my concert.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Wow, I know it has been said many times, but FT is such a great place. If you are willing to do the searches/ask the question, you can pretty much find an answer to any inquiry.

I will be in OKC (Yukon) during the week of the 16th...thanks to all for their recommendations on places to eat and other events. Noticed that the Thunder is in town against the Bulls on the 18th. For those local to OKC, is it easy to get good seats at Ford Center on a walk-up basis? (I am a FT snob, and only sit close to the floor...not Jack Nicholson/Spike Lee close, but, in the lower level )
Just as an aside, it is a shame what DL can charge to fly ATL-OKC (on a ASA RJ nonetheless)...14 days is still $700+...so I am flying to DFW (< $200..thx AirTran) and driving...looks straightforward - up I-35 correct - 2.5 - 3 hours...where are the speedtraps
Lastly, as Yukon is in the suburbs, am I looking at typically strip-mall chain restaurants on the nights when I don't venture downtown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.